Make my Blues Jr. Clean Again

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Shurgaree, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Shurgaree

Shurgaree Member

Wondering how to clean up the tone a bit. I know it's a low wattage amp so I'll never get full cleans, but I'm curious of speaking recommendations (been thinking Cannabis Rex?) as well as easy mods that a not-really-handy person such as..me.. might be able to do.

2. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Clean again? Did something change? Otherwise, verify (or have it verified) that the bias is set correctly, look at a more efficient speaker, and/or try a 12AY7 in the V1 spot.

3. bluesky636

bluesky636 Member

Take a look around here: http://billmaudio.com/wp/

4. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

Best solution is switching out the OT for a Allen T020. Couple that with Jeff's suggestions and you should be good to go. Assuming the amp is healthy. Has it been serviced lately?

5. rockometeramp

rockometeramp Member

Again?

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If it lost clean headroom worn EL84s would be my first suspect. About 150 hours from new production EL84s is all you expect before they start losing clarity.

7. WillLane

WillLane Member

The bias is not adjustable on a Blues Jr., although making it so is a very common mod. It runs the output tubes very hot and for some, way too hot.

The easiest solution is just to turn down the preamp volume and bump the master volume up if you have not tried that already. Also using extreme EQ settings, hot output pickups, a lot of OD pedals, etc. can make you run out of headroom fast. If your tubes are very old, you may benefit from changing them altogether.

8. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Get a bigger amp.