• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Make My Hiwatt Sound Like A Vox

THiwaTT

I am looking to use pedals to make my Hiwatt DR-103 clone sound like a Vox on the edge of breakup

the pedals I have to work with are
Fulldrive 2, OCD, Barber EQ

any settings or suggestions are greatly appreciated

THiwaTT

I was wondering if it was possible to get close with the pedals I have (no more room on my board)

Also all knobs on my amp are set at noon, except for master volume

theanalogdream

Silver Supporting Member
all your amp knobs are set at noon?? Is that just the way it sounds best to you? Or do you just not know how you want to set it?? You could sell the two fulltones, grab an EGDM by BJF and use your volume to get all the in betweens in combo with the barber. AND...you'd have more space on your board!

TJSmitty

Well, then you just have to consider the characteristics of an AC30, and tweak from there. The Barber will be extremely useful in this situation. When I think of an AC the first words that come to mind are "bright, chimey, trebly, round, velvety, thick" and onward. Thats really the feel of an AC30, and something hard to duplicate.

Begin with volume, you're going to want as little obvious hard clipping as possible, as "gritty" is more applicable to a fender style unit, something tweedy. I would set the volume of the Fuller's slightly above unity gain, and let them push the amp a bit to get it breathing. Don't stack them unless you want Brian May tones; I'm assuming you're shooting for the Tom Petty edge of breakup. Having not played the Fulldrive, I don't know its capabilities, but whichever pedal is the most dynamic and also the most chewy (in a thick, round sense, not in a tweedy fender biting way like a lovepedal woodrow or liquid sunshine) is the one I would work with. Keep the eq trebly with lots of high mids, and don't worry about low end. Whatever you do, DO NOT scoop any of the high mids, as it will lose the classic Vox honk and become a blackface :p The barber is really what's going to seal the deal. Bass below normal, mids above, and treble verrrry shimmery, and you'll probably get an agreeable sound.

Good luck!

A cheap, cheap alternative to the EGDM is the first version of the Catalinbread Silverkiss, often called the Cabaretlinda, and will get you a great approximation. This pedal pops up often on the emporium and provides all of these voxy characteristics, with a three band eq built into the pedal, and generally sells around 100 bones.

aziltz

all your amp knobs are set at noon?? Is that just the way it sounds best to you? Or do you just not know how you want to set it?? You could sell the two fulltones, grab an EGDM by BJF and use your volume to get all the in betweens in combo with the barber. AND...you'd have more space on your board!

or keep the OCD because its a gem...

don't waste your money on anything that expensive.

to my ear, vox amps have alot of chimey highs, and upper mid emphasis maybe.

Try the High Peak Mode on the OCD with lower gain and higher treble. If that doesn't do it for you, looking to some Vox-Voiced pedals like the Wampler Cranked AC, Tech21 Liverpool or Catalinbread SilverKiss.

I second everything that TJSMITTY said above.

hope that's helpful!

Trending Topics