make my own cables

Would it be a bad idea to make my own instrument cables? What i was thinking is getting eveidence audio cable by the foot from music toyz and then order nuetrik ends. Is this an exspensive or stupid way of doing it. I have been playing monster cables forever now just want to make some really nice high end cables.

jborges

If you can solder go for it. It is cheaper than buying it pre-made. Evidence audio is a lot nicer than monster cable in my opinion. I have been using the evidence monorail for my pedalboard with gk connectors.

Rex Nomad

You can go to Markertek.com and get Mogami, Canare or Belden cable; Nuetrik or Switchcraft plugs and make great high quality cables for around half of what you'd pay otherwise. I started doing this 10 years ago and I've never bought an over priced cable since. In that time, I've built dozens of cables for various needs and not one of them has failed. If you're comfortable with a soldering iron - it's the only way to go.

Last edited:

Ed Reed

I'll add, also a great way to get comfortable with a soldering iron. The perfect first project.

pbradt

Would it be a bad idea to make my own instrument cables? What i was thinking is getting eveidence audio cable by the foot from music toyz and then order nuetrik ends. Is this an exspensive or stupid way of doing it. I have been playing monster cables forever now just want to make some really nice high end cables.

AFAIC, "high-end" cables fall into the area of "tempting the mindless with the useless."

Get some good Belden cable, a little heat-shrink tubing and some Neutrik or Switchcraft 1/4' plugs and start soldering.

SteveO

AFAIC, "high-end" cables fall into the area of "tempting the mindless with the useless."

Get some good Belden cable, a little heat-shrink tubing and some Neutrik or Switchcraft 1/4' plugs and start soldering.

I bought a Planet Waves cable not because it was "high end", but because GC had it on sale for 20 bucks or so, and it came with a free 10 pack of D'Addario strings. The strings were the reason I was in the store in the first place (and D'Addario is the brand I use), so I essentially paid for the box of strings that I needed and the cable came with it. Can't say that there is any major tonal difference, at least not to MY gig-tempered ears.

pbradt

I bought a Planet Waves cable not because it was "high end", but because GC had it on sale for 20 bucks or so, and it came with a free 10 pack of D'Addario strings. The strings were the reason I was in the store in the first place (and D'Addario is the brand I use), so I essentially paid for the box of strings that I needed and the cable came with it. Can't say that there is any major tonal difference, at least not to MY gig-tempered ears.

Well then you got a deal. But you know, buying a $100 cable for electric guitar is nuts. Or even a $50 cable. I've been using the same cables for 15 years. Still good enough for rock and roll.

Cork-sniffing when it comes to cable is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

SteveO

Well then you got a deal. But you know, buying a $100 cable for electric guitar is nuts. Or even a $50 cable. I've been using the same cables for 15 years. Still good enough for rock and roll.

Cork-sniffing when it comes to cable is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

I'm of the same opinion.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
It cost me @ $17 to make a 15' instrument cable w/ Mogami 2524s and Neutrik NP series and silent plugs. I don't think you can find that at GC or any store for under $50.

jrgantt

because it is cake to make your own. You can pick what type of jacks and length of cable you want.

And a sufficient soldering iron can be purchased for $15-$30 at your big box hardware store.

That light is not your computer screen. Go ahead and walk on through.

mistermikev

I recently went to futurlec.com and got (gk?) ends for $1 ea... thought some of you might appreciate a good source for very nice jacks for very cheap... comes from across the ocean tho... so it takes two weeks.
I have buckets upon buckets of pro co cable and others... so I just use that mixed in with some monster and planet waves stuff. works well for me.

skills4life

Where's a good place to source the 2524's and, more importantly, the silent plugs? I have two retail mogami cables I bought on sale with the silent plugs, and I can't imagine how I survived without them before. Thanks.

It cost me @ $17 to make a 15' instrument cable w/ Mogami 2524s and Neutrik NP series and silent plugs. I don't think you can find that at GC or any store for under $50.

clc12rock

I'm thinking about getting these plugs to make some patch cables:

Switchcraft Jacks

Should I get 2 conductor or 3 conductor?

Do you think THESE PLUGS would be just as good? Again, I'd only be using them for patching effects, so I wouldn't be pulling them in and out.

teletroy

I just bought some mogami cable and neutrik ends from Redco.com - quick shipping and good prices. Made a custom snake for cheap

Funky54

Hey, Im no Eric Johnson....but cables make a big difference in tone. I baught 10, ten foot long guitar cables, same brand. Took them home and went straight into an amp. about four of them sounded exactly alike. Three sounded compressed. And three sounded bright. I kept two and took the others back. When I last did my pedal board, I mixed and matched a couple different brands of 6" cables... started messing with listening to them one at a time from a guitar to the amp. I found three out of 7 that sounde dull and quiter. Some that differed were the same brand..It does matter.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
I'm thinking about getting these plugs to make some patch cables:

Switchcraft Jacks

Should I get 2 conductor or 3 conductor?

Do you think THESE PLUGS would be just as good? Again, I'd only be using them for patching effects, so I wouldn't be pulling them in and out.

2 conductor is all you need for patch cables. What is pictured on that website are stereo plugs. The Switchcraft 228s are the mono rt angle plugs you want not the 338s.

Primakurtz

Also, consider Gepco cable and G&H plugs. Great quality. I just built myself a nifty snake, covered in Tech-Flex.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom