Make your argument - Best Strings EVAH!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by electronpirate, Sep 9, 2008.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Okay. I'm going to make the argument that Ernie Ball strings sound without question the best with ALL guitars. I think in particular, they make a thinner sounding guitar sound fuller. They make a Les Paul knock your d!ck in the dirt. I've heard some accusations they are thin on highs. Personally don't hear it.

I've tried a million string types. The only real 'booteek' ones would be Snake Oil (sounded nice, but they broke in 2 days,) Elixer (nothing thrilling, but 3 months later, they sounded the same...) I've considered Pyramids, but I'm in the cables feel on this...spend some money, and leave it alone...spend more time practicing. But frankly, those damn'd Gibson upper end strings sound GREAT with Les Pauls...my favs. Fender bullets are worthless.

Anyway. Make your argument for the best strings. PICK YOUR GUITAR....your opinion means nothing if you don't explain both your rationale, what gauge, and what you're playing them on.

EP

2. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Dean Markley LT (9~42). I tune to Eb.

I have them on my Epiphone LP and my Ibanez RG. The strings don't take much to get to their property tuning, and stay bright for a long time. I also find tha I don't break them as much as Gibson or D'Addario strings.

Also something else that I like about these strings is that they feel nice when I bend them and at my tuning (Eb) they provide just the right amount of tension. I have been using them for 15 years and I don't think I even need to try another brand of strings.

3. jstone

jstone Member

Ok here we go..
    On all my electric guitar I use Ernie Ball.
    Strat with floating trem... Hybrid Slinky.
    Custom Tele - Slinky
    Strat with locked trem - Power slinky
    Les Paul - Not even Slinky.

Why???
    they sound good in my ears. Have a decent life span and are affordable.

Acoustic.
    Dr Tomastik. Nothing sounds better on an acoustic for me. Discovered them while recording a 1937 Martin D-18 and on a good guitar they make a real difference.. on a lesser good guitar they still sound great.

Well I prefer new strings to old. Never used anything to preserve the strings life and that also play in on my choice of strings :)

4. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

Ernie Balls - They can be had in any guitar shop in the country. They are inexpensive, of high quality, long lasting, feel good, and sound great.

EHX - I'm pretty sure someone makes these for EHX but I don't know who. They are almost just like Ernie Balls except I think they have a tiny bit more chime and feel even better. The only reason I don't get them all the time is because I don't have a local dealer.

5. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

GHS boomers. Ill never use another string.

6. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

La Bella Nickel Blues. They got the warmness of pure nickle strings, the bite of steels, amazing string to string balance, and they bend like no other. I'm pretty much hooked on these suckers.

7. highfive!

highfive! Member

D'addario XL's. Nickel. 10's. Strat, Tele, 335. Sound good, feel good, never break, last a long while. Haven't settled on an acoustic string yet (15 yrs later), but Martin Marquis 12's usually do the trick.

8. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Wow. Another vote here for the Ernie Balls. I've tried some of the 'boutique-ish' strings out there, and thus far, I still like my Ernie Balls better. Which is weird for me, because I'm usually a boutique snob to a fault. But I love my Ernie Balls.

(And by boutique snob, I mean I'm way in debt and still can't figure out how to actually play the guitar. But my board looks cool! ;) )

9. MrDoty

MrDoty Member

im a dr man. all about the feel, they are the best.

10. jockman

jockman Member

My fave string for a long time, but supplies seem to be intermittent here in UK, so, I tend to use GHS burnished nickels, fantastic string.

11. fox5150

fox5150 Member

My vote is for DR Pure Blues. I cannot play steel strings as I have some kind of reaction to them and it just makes them unplayable. Somebody suggested nickel strings several years ago and I don't have any problems like I did with steel. Used various different makes over the years. Someone recommended DR strings to me and I switched to DR Pure Blues about a year ago and now have them on all my guitars. They sound great and last a reasonable amount of time.

Fox

12. 205

205 Senior Member

D'addario 10-46's for me. I've used them for about 20 years and I don't see any reason to change them. I've used GHS boomers before and they are pretty good too but at the end of the day I just want a good quality string that does the job well and D'addario's do that- and they're always available here in Oz.

13. zep41

zep41 Member

My vote for Ernie Ball. I am particularly found of the Rock and Roll pure nickel wound series. Have been playing the 9s on a Les Paul fro about 6 years now and I find it hard to believe i will ever find anything better.

They are crisp, twangy, yet they almost add a bit of crunch with any style of humbucker pickups. I like the 9s because they are light and easier for me to bend. I bend a lot.

14. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

+1 on the D'addario's. I've been using them for awhile now and they're pretty much the gold standard for me, though I like EB super slinkys on my Floyd Rose-equipped guitars, but I don't gig with those much anymore.

I tried DR's and SIT's and GHS and I keep coming back to the D'addarios. They're also not super pricey and you can find them at just about any music store.

15. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I have 4 guitars and use Ernie Ball, D'addario, DR, and Dean Markley.

16. Kleftys666

Kleftys666 Member

I only ever used Ernie's for the last 16 of 18 years. From when I can remember I hated D'addarios.
    I switched to Dean Markley for a very brief moment and found them to have great tone but they were "tense' and "stiff". The Ernie's feel the best but have some tone issues. Some times they sound to round and then flat, then sometimes to bright.

I switched to Gibson Special Alloy's a couple of years ago on a hunch. MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE on my Les Paul!! Great Strings!! Absolutely the best I have tried and I think everybody should try these on humbucker equipped guitars.

At the moment I have the Boutique bug. So Im trying some Thomastik-Enfeld for the Paul and Pyramids for the Tele. I havent put them on yet but shall do by this weekend.

17. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

After putting new EB's on my Dean TC Caddy, I played late last night, and my wife came downstairs to complain...

Seems that the acoustic tone coming off the strings was so loud, I turned up the amp until I could be heard. Huge, resonant! Wake up the kids mama, daddy is smokin'.

Yeah Klefty, those Gibson's are the best strings on an LP that I've heard. My guess is they're a little bright to counter all that wood.

18. beni

beni Member

I have love to Ernie Ball Strings !!

19. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    I'm an old fart who used to play nickel Ernie Ball strings "back in the day". When nickels were replaced by stainless and other alloys, I made the switch too.

But about 5 years ago, I went back to solid-nickel-wraps, and have used all kinds of them since.

A year ago, I went back to Ernie Ball solid nickel's, "Classic Rock" brand, due to their lower costs and problems I was having with consistency of another brand, and you know what? They sound great!

20. Tito83

Tito83 Member

For good gigs/recording (tone) - "new" Ernie Ball Regular Slinky
    For everyday use, ordinary gigs/practicing (tone/durability) - Elixir

Tried the Dean Markley's Blue Steel recently and really disliked it.