Makeshift effects loop?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by revlimitbounce, Feb 11, 2012.

1. revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce Member

Considering a new rig, though I really want to have an effects loop. The amp in question has none, but it does have a conventional reverb tank.

There used to be a popular, simple mod where you removed the reverb tank from the circuit and used it as an effects loop. I've only heard about it as folklore.

Qs:

1 - how? (modified cables? if so, seems connections would be a problem)
    2 - does the 'verb's control then serve as a kinda-sorta mix control for the makeshift effects loop?

Anyone done this? Happy? Not?

This would likely be on a Fender Deluxe Reverb, but considering other amps, as well.

Thx.

2. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

I don't recommend trying this. There is a reverb CIRCUIT in a DR/SR/PR/etc that includes far more than just the tank. If you want to add an FX loop, it's possible, but may not be what you want. Look at some schematics of amps that have FX loops (Fender Concert II, Matchless Chieftan) and get an idea of how different types of loops are set up. The Concert II has a tube buffered loop, the Chieftan has a passive loop. If you can't read schematics, take your amp to a tech and explain what you want.

3. revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce Member

Okay, thanks. Funny you mention the Concert II (Rivera-era); I have one of those.

4. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

I have the 2 x 10 version. I've modded the heck out of it. :)