Making a decent pedal board w/ tiny pedals: suggestions?

MikeSelmer

Hi all!

Having got bored with carrying around the heavy-as-hell bigger pedalboard of mine, I've decided to build up a really small, lightweight version for practice and smaller gigs.

I want small, lightweigh, good-sounding, and inexpensive. I'm ready to give up the boutique urge for this project...

Now I need suggestions for the pedals. Here are the smallest and the most decent ones I've found so far. Have you got any ideas for better ones? Or is there a reason I should drop any of these off my list?

TUNER: Guyatone MT-3 Micro Tuner
DELAY: Guyatone MD-3 Micro Digital Delay
PHASER: Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
FUZZ: Electro-Harmonix Nano Muff
TREMOLO: Guyatone VT-3 Micro Tremolo
OVERDRIVE: ??? Maybe Bad Monkey, but it's the normal size...
DISTORTION: ???

Also, I need a small looper (with 4-5 loops) - which one is the smallest yet controllable?

Cheers,
MIKE

iaresee

Silver Supporting Member
Fun! And a great idea.

FUZZ: Electro-Harmonix Nano Muff
A Catalinbread V8 Fuzz will is smaller and more crazy fuzz-like if you want something less tame.

OVERDRIVE: ??? Maybe Bad Monkey, but it's the normal size...
DISTORTION: ???
Catalinbread Hyperpak all the way here. No better size/sound OD/dist pedal out there.

Heck, anything in a typical Catalinbread-sized Hammond enclosure is pretty darn compact.

Also, I need a small looper (with 4-5 loops) - which one is the smallest yet controllable?
The Loop-Master or other like product is probably the smallest form factor you can get for a 5 loop box.

erksin

Catalinbread will shortly be coming out with a new mini trem as well, FWIW...

If you can find an older MI Audio Blue Boy or Blues Pro, they have offset input/output jacks that make it easier to shoehorn them on to a cramped board too. And a few of the Lovepedals have top mounted jacks as well (Older CoT50s, Karl, etc)...

MikeSelmer

Good suggestions, thanks! However, my priority is to find pedals that are smaller than Hammond boxes.

Need to check the Catalinbread mini trem...where can I find info on that?

MIKKO

iaresee

Silver Supporting Member
Good suggestions, thanks! However, my priority is to find pedals that are smaller than Hammond boxes.
The Hyperpak and the V8 Fuzz are both in tiny "gum stick" enclosures. Not the typical Catalinbread Hammond box.

Merelington

Definitely get the catalinbread hyperpak. Sounds great, its the most tiny pedal i've ever seen, and they're only about $120 new. And I also have a MI Audio crunchbox version 2 with the internal presence control...pretty much brand new for $109 shipped and paypalled. They're made to sound like a cranked marshall jcm 800 and its the same size as a mxr phase 90, if not thinnner. Once this board is done you have to post pics.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Or you could check out the thread on the C Jones modified Danelectro pedals into multi-effects unit. You could build it in a square rather than long enclosure and mount all the bypass footswitches along the front with the actual pedal guts staggered.

nibus

If you did a whole lineup of the Mad Professor pedals it would be one killer rig -

Fire Red Fuzz
Mighty Red Distortion
Sky Blue Overdrive
Little Green Wonder
Mellow Yellow Tremelo
Tiny Orange Faser
Deep Blue Delay

and it would easily fit on a small pedalboard. the only downside - $$$.

thedroid

Need to check the Catalinbread mini trem...where can I find info on that?

MIKKO
I've got an EHX Nano pedal, and it's a Hammond-sized box, so you might want to reconsider those.

MikeSelmer

It's great to get so many inspiring ideas! Here's some questions/comments:

BLACKSTONE OD: Actually, I've eyeballed this one for a long time. And, actually again, I was thinking about it for this project. It seems to be very dynamic, so I could avoid having many od's/distortion with the volume knob of the guitar. Also, as someone mentioned, it's two pedals in one. A question: does channel 2 give a punchy singing lead tone?

CATALINBREAD HYPERPAK: I heard about this only in this thread, and checked out the site - the Hyperpak seems and sounds SWEET! And the question: do you Hyperpak users miss the tone control?

CATALINBREAD MINI TREMOLO: This could be it...however, if I put the money on the overdrive department, I might have to save on the extra effects size (I only use tremolo occasionally). Need to see about that? Do you think the price will be around the same as with the other Catalinbread mini pedals?

EH NANO SMALL STONE: Thanks for whoever it was to point out that it's actually Hammond size...need to re-check this one. Are there any other smaller than Hammond-size phasers available?

Oh well, I should have quessed that the more I think about this, the more it's going to cost. Why oh why?

MIKE

mds

Great thread....I'm doing something similar. About to head to europe for a tour and need a small, light pedalboard. How do the Dan-o's sound? Are the guyatones a lot better? I like the size of the micro delay, etc...don't want to spend too much $$ either...

Trending Topics