Making a Squier Classic Vibe Tele playable

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by stigg, Dec 8, 2016.

1. stigg

stigg Member

Some weeks ago I traded for this guitar it was a looker: three-burst, bound, rosewood.But the action was too high for these old hands so I began to make it playable for me.
    I first checked the straightness of the neck and found that the fretboard was not level,
    the truss rod isn't the best and would only allow it to be as level as I could get
    it before it began to back-bow leaving the middle frets still mildly bowed
    but the front and back back-bowed. (Has this happened to anyone else?).
    So I dressed the frets and the result was not good. I bought some fret-stock and pulled the original frets.
    Then I sanded the bare fretboard to level, used a 9.5 radius block for obvious reasons,
    re-fretted and came up with a very playable Tele.
    On the whole I recommend These guitars for quality and price.
    The pups weren't stock, the Fralins that came with it are spectacular.

s:0)(younger,stronger hands wouldn't need the adjustments I've made)

2. doc

doc Member

You're handier than I am - I probably would have pulled off the neck and looked for another one.

3. oildrops

oildrops Member

That contradicts my take-away from your post. You did $300 worth of tech work to a $300 guitar. Plus those guitars come with cheesy electronics.

Great entry level guitars, and much much better than what was off the shelf for that price when I was a kid. But then again, the MIJ craze hadn't taken off yet back then and could still be found cheap. Not to mention silverface fenders...

Can you build me a time machine with your tech skills?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    bullfrogblues likes this.
  4. bob-i

bob-i Member

That's great, I love making cheep guitars play and sound good. I don't need a $5000 guitar, I can play the same wrong notes on a $300 guitar.

fretless and AtomicBlaze like this.
  5. oildrops

oildrops Member

I think if I could do my own neck and fret work, my house would be full of pawn shop guitars. I would probably have a bunch of cheap archtops laying around too. If my other post sounded negative, it's just because I'm jealous.

6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I can do a lot of work on guitars, but a couple good friends can do most anything related to guitar repair. For cheap. I feel lucky to have that resource. I have to keep myself busy with other projects or I would be buying everything broken in sight...