Making a Super Reverb into a Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sesroh, Feb 21, 2008.

1. sesroh

sesroh Member

Is it worth doing? I want to run it with an Orange 2X12 (16 ohms), but supposedly super reverbs only like 2ohms.

I came home today to find one of the speakers in the amp has a hole and is making it sound like garbage. It sucks because I just fixed this amp last december.

I need some opinions here. I don't really have that much money to spend so I was considering ordering a mojotone head cab, but will it work?

2. candh

candh Member

Sure, do it!! Rewire the speakers for 4 ohms. Running at a 1:2 mismatch is fine. Anything more and you risk failure.

3. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I had an SR head rig. Just remember, if you are going to include the reverb, you need the oversized head with more room between the chassis and reverb tank. The head shell from a Fender Bandmaster Reverb (not a regular Bandmaster - it must be the Bandmaster Reverb) will fit properly.

[​IMG]

4. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I've got my '69 SR in that same head cab with the Reverb tank in it.
    I also run it at 4 ohms. I've got my 212 set so I can run the two 8 ohm speakers at 16 ohms for my Sommatone head or 4 ohms with the Super.

No problems and I have tried it with two 4 ohms speakers run at the normal 2 ohms and can hear no difference between the "correct" 2 ohm and the more practical ( for me ) 4 ohms.

Plus separating the head and cab makes a Super way to carry the behemoth!

5. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I had an old BF SR that someone had made into a head. sounded good, looked good. Do it, it was a ton of fun. I also had a SF Bandmaster Reverb. Sorta the same animal. One of the best sounding Fender amp I have owned. (and I've owned almost all of 'em at some point)

6. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I've been thinking about rehousing my SRRI chassis into a head and using an external 2x12. I love the sound of the 4x10's, but 12's would be a nice change of flavor.
    So you CAN run a Super into a 4ohm cab?

7. KeithC

Yes, I do at least! And from asking much more knowledgeable people around here and other places they concurred that a 1x mismatch is OK. I was told some tone and sound difference "might" be heard but I simply couldn't hear it.
    I have old ears that have been blasted by amps and cymbals for years though.:RoCkIn

8. sesroh

sesroh Member

my cabinet is 16 ohms. Will I have to do something to it? Will it cost much money to have done? I am going to buy a dual showman reverb style head cab. Mojotone sell them but they are for super reverbs. check them out.

9. sesroh

sesroh Member

haha bump. I want to know before I try using one of the speaker outs with my cabinet. don't want anything else to go wrong.

10. sesroh

sesroh Member

oh ya, just to let you know it's the 70 watt silverface version. Says minimum loads 4 ohms on the speaker outs.

11. KeithC

Assuming you have two 8 ohm speakers running in series to get your 16 ohm load cab you could just rewire it to parallel and get 4 ohms. You should be good then.

12. sesroh

sesroh Member

yeah, but how do I even do that and won't it affect the cabinet? does it mean that I wouldn't be able to use it with some amps if I decide to get something else?

13. candh

candh Member

Google is your friend. There are plenty of speaker impedance wiring diagrams out there. It only takes a few minutes to re-wire and if need be re-wire back.