Making a Tremolux head into a combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Geetar_Will, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Geetar_Will

Geetar_Will Supporting Member

Been using a '64 Tremolux head and 2x12 cab (gold/G12H) for a while now. The cab is too loud for what I do and I don't like the head/cab thing anymore. I'm considering having the head built into a 1x12 combo. If I don't do this, I'm selling both the amp and cab. Questions below...

- What speaker might you suggest? I like the celestions, I use fuzz and sometimes a lead boost (on top of that) so it has to not crap out on the lows and take a decent amount fuzz overdriven abuse. 4 ohms.

- Is this a terrible thing to do to a vintage amp? Yes I'll destroy some value, but I suppose it can be reversed.

- How might an amp like this sound in a deluxe size cab with a 1x12? Could this be something unique and cool?

2. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I am a huge Tremolux fan - I own two and think they are highly underated. I played mine for years as well with 2x12 cabs. But the original Tremolux's were 2x10 closed back cabs that I have since acquired. A more manageable volume and size.

In terms of converting it to a combo, a Tremolux in a 1x12 combo cab is very close to a Vibrolux (non-reverb) - a very coveted and rare amp. The same in a 2x10 combo is like a Vibrolux Reverb (with no reverb) - a classic combo.

Putting the chassis in a combo cab doesn't hurt any value, just save the head cab and you're back to stock with 4 bolts.

As for speakers, I'm old school, so I use mine with Jensen P10Q's.

3. Geetar_Will

Thanks for the info!
    Indeed, the other guy in the band plays a '66 tremolux with the matching 2x10 closed back cab.

I'm leaning more towards the 1x12 combo. I have an Allen Old Flame - which is 2x10.

4. frank4001

frank4001 Member

I have a JD Newell 1x15 cab. Worked out great. On of my go to favorites for quite a few years now. Not heavy either. I really like the head through a pair of old C12N's in an open back cab too...

5. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I've always wanted one of those 2x10 tremolux cabs,but they get way big dollars... even in this market. I've tried a bunch of 2x10's. Most recently put a couple of red fangs into a z28 combo and it kills... the amp is a bit mid rangy. I keep thinking this pair of speakers with a tremolux would be awesome.

6. Tele71

Tele71 Gold Supporting Member

Big Tremolux fan here. The 1x15 is awsome as is the 2x10. I had a 3x10 cab built that I could change baffels in. It was awesome. The 2x10 set up is classic. If you decide to sell your heah and cab please contact me with a desired pirce. Thanks
    Paul

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Have Mather make you a single 12" brown Vibrolux size cabinet, in black, to house the chassis. It a bit bigger than the blackface Deluxe and will project and sound better. I would go with a Weber Legacy, 40 oz. magnet, 65 watt voice coil, 55hz cone, standard British dustcap and well broken in.

8. Geetar_Will

Weber has so many great choices at great prices. It's not making this any easier.

9. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Here's my Bandmaster chassis in a 22" high Mather cab with a single 15" Weber Blue Dog ceramic @ 4 ohms.

[​IMG]

10. Geetar_Will

15"? Wow... Can you compare it to a 12" soundwise? I've never played through a 15".

11. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

I'd stay away from the 15" with fuzz- too loose on the bass- and go for the Blue Dog 12", which I've had in my '64 Deluxe-Amp for several years with no problems.

12. Geetar_Will

I've read the blue dog doesn't hold the fuzzface low end real well... Have you tried anything along those lines? What are the specs on your Blue Dog?

13. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

50w ceramic, light dope, 8ohms. Works fairly well with a FF though I've been using a Ram's Head clone lately. I've also used a Foxrox Octron with the low-octave turned up and it handles that, too.

14. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

pretty sure the Tremolux wants to see a 4 ohm load so you'll have to track down a 4 ohm 12" to get the best tone if you go w/ a single spk

15. Geetar_Will

Indeed sir. So far most all the Weber speakers I've looked at have the 4 ohm option. Also WGS said they would do a special order for a 4 ohm version of one of their speakers.

16. Geetar_Will

17. frank4001

frank4001 Member

Cool... came out nice..