making a VH frankenstrat replica--- a little played out?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by spookyelectric, Dec 17, 2013.

1. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

Thinking of doing another guitar build and am seriously considering going with a floyd and doing the whole VH frankenstrat vibe. I've done striped guitars before in the past on summer builds that have turned out pretty cool.

I probably won't go with the exact colors (Eddie's son Wolfgang has an awesome bluish/purplish take on the frankenstrat for one of his basses), but I wondered-- is the whole idea of the striped guitar, painted in the garage w/ rattle cans, a little played out at this point?

There are a ton of guys over on Halen.com doing some KILLER frankenstrat, VH1 and Bumblebee replicas. I personally love the look of all of them, and as long as I'm not going for a dead-on replica, taping/striping/painting an unfinished body isn't that hard. The striped guitars I've done before were a TON of fun to do).

The thing is, I don't play alot of VH stuff-- part of me feels weird about having a guitar w/ a look that's so iconic of a great guitarist. Almost like it doesn't have enough of my own personality to it. Even doing a different take on it-- it's still the stripes on a strat type guitar. Very VH no matter how you slice it.

thoughts, opinions?

2. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

If you're a fan of EVH....do it.
    If you want to put your own personal spin on the stripes, do it.

Break the rules and do your own thing - that's what EVH did!

3. spookyelectric

Despite the fact that I don't play any VH (except for the occasional "Runnin' with the Devil" or "Mean Streets" riff), I'm most definitely a huge VH fan. And I'm sure I can come up w/ a different take on the stripes!

4. spookyelectric

bump for some more opinions!

5. shane8

shane8 Member

I know someone who churns out evh style bodies & there's so many around now.

if I was to paint a guitar I'd do my own design but I'm not sure why you're asking here - if you want one then do it

6. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I recently bought this:
    [​IMG]

I dig it because its basically a VH strat- hard ash body, a Franky neck from Musikraft, old 80's Floyd, etc.... But it's painted like Blackie. A VH guitar without the stripes! Which i can get my head around actually playing onstage (i cant see myself with a striped one at a gig, thats Ed's thing). The nut was cut a bit too high and it generally needs a setup, so it's at the tech now, I'm hoping it'll play nice and be a cool Eb-tuned super strat when I get it back :)

7. aman74

aman74 Member

Fan or not a fan, if you like it and it makes you happy...do it.

Try not to think of what anyone else would think.

It's funny nowadays. If you have a highly identifiable sig model and it doesn't typically fit your genre or you don't appear to have it because you're a fan, people will just think you're being ironic.

Ah, people's perceptions and assumptions.

8. luv

luv Member

Instead of stripes get templates of girls silhouettes. Keep painting them in different colors. Overlap them in different places and positions until the body is covered. It will look like random paint from a distance, but the girls will be visible up close.

9. bilbal

bilbal Member

Dude if it makes you happy and you'll get off on it - GO FOR IT!!! But you better post some pix and progress :)

10. LesPaulFetish

LesPaulFetish Member

It's been more than 20 years since he first did it, and it goes without question it's been totally played out. But, it's still awesome. I'd rock a striped guitar no question EVH is the man.

11. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Way more than 20!!! 35 years I think

12. LesPaulFetish

LesPaulFetish Member

Haha I know/knew it'd be more than 20, schools out and I didn't feel like googling to find out and do the math :p

13. f550maranello2

f550maranello2 Member

i have one i made.. I LOVE IT, its my favorite guitar by far... I play everything on it

14. Rysiu

Rysiu Active Member

I almost bought that guitar. Enjoy it!

15. 23 Fretz

23 Fretz Senior Member

I'm a member of Halen.com (sc0rch), I did my EVH Franky build almost three years ago, and used a lot of info from previous builders on there. Great group of guys. There's always a few builds going on at once these days and the quality and attention to detail is amazing, some of which look better than the $25K replica Fender put out.

16. spookyelectric

sc0rch! I've seen some of your posts over there. I lurk alot in the VH1, Frankenstrat and Bumblebee build forums.

I saw one that someone did recently that was the franky with all the wear it got over the years, but re-imagined as if Ed never did the red paint over top of the black/white. It was very cool! that's the sort of different take on the idea that I'm thinking of-- keeping the same things I like about the VH look (stripes, 2 or 3 colors) but doing it just a little different..

17. mockchoi

mockchoi Member

I did one last Spring. I sort of know what you mean, I'd never play it at a show (because I don't/can't play anything like EVH), but I had a bunch of parts and just wanted to do it. It actually turned out to be a very fun, very playable guitar that I like a lot. I also didn't try to make it exact, so it cut down on the workload a whole bunch.

[​IMG]

18. sahhas

sahhas Member

it's your guitar project, do whatever you want!!!!
    there are no rules!

19. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

I'd say if you like the look, have at it. If you are gonna worry about what other people think, best to take up drums and hide in the back ;D

20. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

IMO, yes. I think the novelty wore off in the late '80s.

Even as a kid growing up in the 70s & 80s, as a Van Halen fan, influenced by Eddie as much as anyone else, and thinking there was no band cooler than VH....I still....never.... liked the look of his guitars. I admired Ed's work and I was duly impressed by what he accomplished with a cheap home made guitar he slapped together. But to my eye, all those paint jobs still made the guitar look like vandalized. The first time I ever saw the cover of Van Halen's debut album, I thought "Did he find that guitar in a dumpster?"