Making FX cut through on huge PA

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jaywalker, Mar 6, 2008.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I've run into a bit of strife regarding a TV session.
    I've been reduced to mono thank's to incompetent soundmen who don't know how to read riders.
    The problem is that I've spent weeks programing sounds (fx based) for the project and after 2 broadcasts, the fx ain't cutting through no matter what I do. In stereo its fine, but we are mono and playing at stadium volume.

here's the show: http://archiv.markiza.sk/?31337d=24.02.2008&31337p=104

http://archiv.markiza.sk/?31337d=02.03.2008&31337p=104

I've been doing this for a while but have never come across this problem to such an extent before.

does anybody know of any way (short of running stereo) to get things over the way they should be???

I busted the FOH for gating my guitars without taking delays into consideration, but even so - the amount of delays and effects coming out of my amp are overpowering on stage but on TV they are non existant.

doh!!!!

We are kicking out about 10k per side in the stadium running all desks via optical, have a seperate TV mix and we are broadcasting through an external bird to the station, then via satallite to the main transmitter.
    I suspect compression could be a factor. I be baffled:BITCH

2. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

do u have the option of trying to ask for three channels??
    if you could you might be able to do wet, dry,wet which means theres more wet (fxed) sound coming through than dry which means a massive head ache for you working out how to rewire to able to that but i think thats the only answer.

AJ

3. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

I think it sounds like there's too much effects already

4. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

The stage box is built into the (moving) stage and we only have 20 chanels, full band plus sequencer.
    The band we are mimicking used effects to the extreme in the 80s and I have to copy their sounds and they are pissed off that the delays, choruses and other trademarks of their sound can't be heard.
    I'm talking about my guitar only, not the overall sound.

5. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Me do bump cos running out of options....

6. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

are you still running a stereo rig to FOH that is then being summed to mono for broadcast? if so could be phase cancelation. does the keyboardist have any issues with his mix? that might help figure out if it is phase

Outside of that I would think they're still gating either your channel, or some submix involving you.

best of luck, looks like it is an interesting experience on some level

joe

7. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Cheers joe, I can only run ONE mic, because there aren't enough inputs on the specialy designed stage box!!!!!!!!!!!!
    stupid, I know...
    The keyboard player has had to run 2 keyboards through a ****** behringer mini mixer because there were only 2 channels available for him.

So I'm running mono. Hate it.
    The sound guys don't have a lot of experience and the set was designed without consulting the band, meaning it sucks.

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

Maybe ask over at the Prosound web forums. They should be able to help you out.
    http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/

Sometimes when you sum stereo FX into mono they can cancel each other out. It maybe just the way you have the FX routed

9. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

That though occured to me too. Maybe try programing some mono based effects.
    Are you just using one amp, one mic with magicstomps in front?

10. Chadley

Chadley Member

Dude, if the engineer is stupid enough to gate the effects out of your guitar, I would assume that the problem is in the engineer's mixing abilities and not your tone. That type of crap drives me nuts.

Make sure your signal is really clean so they don't need to worry about gating at all.

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

A couple of ideas:
    1. If you've programmed the effects to be spacial (meaning that the two sides of the stereo mix are opposite in phase to maximize the effect, like ping-pong delays for example). Then collapsing to mono is going to suck big time. You can reduce the chances of phase cancellation by just sending one channel to the amp (left or right but not both).
    2. You can steal more channels by running someone wireless (for example, running two mics for your guitar using those insertable transmitters into garden variety SM57s, then plug the two recievers directly into the board).

12. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Figured it out.
    the outboard bird engineer was gating my mic signal from his seperate feed to remove 60hz hum..... but me don't got none, he was on autopilot, and my only point of reference is the tapes from the tV broadcast.
    Boosted the wetmix and things are sounding cool from the rehearsal betas at least.
    Thanks for the input.

13. Chadley

Chadley Member

:jo