making MP3s

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by burningwater, Feb 24, 2006.

1. burningwater

burningwater Member

Hi, I am recording in cubase on mac OSX, sounds great but when I mix to mp3 it looses A LOT of quality, anyway to minimize that?

2. neve1073

neve1073 Member

try 192kb and maybe check your bit rate.

3. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

192 seems to be the lowest setting that still sounds decent to me. You could see if your encoder has a quality vs. speed setting when doing the encoding. Also, different encoders sound different. I'm not sure if it works on mac's, but on PC's the Lame encoder sounds better than anything else I have tried.

4. neve1073

neve1073 Member

cubase sx3 does have "quality" setting. 192 sounds ok to me considering it's an mp3. If I want audiophile, I don't compress at all and use wav or aif!!!

5. elambo

elambo Member

Use the highest bit rate Cubase will allow. If it HAS to be MP3 and Cubase won't get you above 192, mix to a wav or aif file, then use another program to convert that file to a higher bit rate MP3.

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

It's possible that Cubase just does a bad job of encoding MP3s. Keep your final mixes uncompressed, either as WAV or AIFF, and use a diffferent program to encode MP3s.

DSP-Quattro does a good job, also Peak LE. You can use iTunes, which is free, but it will sound different.

7. mbratch

mbratch Member

What bit rate is cubase encoding your MP3s at?