making my champ clone clean?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by marrstians, Sep 28, 2005.

1. marrstians

marrstians Member

i built a 5F1 champ clone and i wanted to know what i could do to make it have more head room... it distorts to early for my taste and when it does distort it's not the greatest break up... a little too buzzy... if there's not too much to do with it is there another circuit that uses the same tranny and stuff that will produce more head room for me or should i just try something different all together?

2. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

it is hard to keep a Champ clean.
    I'd say you could try putting in a 6L6 vs. a 6V6
    also maybe a lower gain pre-amp like a 12AT7
    or make it into a super champ that uses 2 6V6s

3. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

Replace the 12AX7 with a 5751.

4. Reeek

Reeek Member

Plus a larger OT perhaps

5. KLB

KLB Member

Use the BF Champ circuit, which has more negative feedback and the tone stack also removes significant gain. You can use a bass pot with a SPST pull switch to remove the ground connection if you want the extra gain like the Tweed Champ.

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

+1 - my SF was too clean, I changed some things to make it more like a 5F1 (tone stack, NFB, etc.) and it's more up my alley. Clean up to "4" and raunchy when turned up. Going the other way should fulfill your clean quest nicely :)

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

How early is it breaking up? My Victoria 518 does a warm, cleanish sound up until about 8 on the volume knob, at 10 it is breaking up a lot, and at 12 it sounds kind of ratty. I think speaker distortion is to blame for the rattiness at the highest settings.

If yours is breaking up a lot below 8, then you might have another issue.

Bryan

8. marrstians

marrstians Member

it breaks up around 4ish and sounds pretty buzzy the rest of the way up... i tried changing the bias on the 6V6 but it didn't seem to improve it too much... maybe it's the preamp oversaturating... there's nothing warm about the break up at all... very noisy sounding...

9. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Are you sure that everything is wired correctly? Have you tried different speakers and different tubes? If you built it from a kit, then I think you should contact the company to see if you might have done something incorrectly.

Bryan

10. marrstians

marrstians Member

i hooked it up to a 2X12 and it was alot better but i don't think the speaker is the problem, i hooked it up to another amp and it didn't sound buzzy... maybe it's just the combo of the two...? i tried a 6L6 for a little bit, it sounded better but it melted one of the solder joints so it's probably drawing too much current... it only seems to be bad when i play kindof hard... maybe i should adjust the input resistors a little higher...?

11. theelectic

theelectic Guest

I'd triple check everything in the amp. It shouldn't sound buzzy (not at 4 anyway) and it should not be melting solder joints, even with a 6L6.

12. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like the amp has some "fundamental" issue somewhere