Making my first trip to the US,...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by michael_ibrahim, Sep 18, 2006.

1. michael_ibrahim

michael_ibrahim Member

Hi guys!

I'm taking the plunge within the next two months and I'm going to do the rounds of the US to meet up with potential new retailers. I've been scratching my head all night trying to work out what my intinerary should be. At this stage, it looks I'm going to try to visit the following cities:
    • New York
    • Chicago
    • Houston
    • San Antonio
    • Phoenix
    • San Diego
    • LA
    • San Jose
    • San Francisco
    • Seattle
    Logic behind visiting these cities is that they have relatively large populations, and a quick yellow pages search seems to indicate that they also have a large number of music stores.

Any suggestions for cool stores to visit there? Have I missed the mark with any of these cities? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I would just suggest making as many advance appointments as possible so you know the relevant owners/employees will be available to meet with you.

3. seanc

seanc Member

Good Luck to yo Michael.

Mind you, you should make a trip over here to Perth.....in your own country first!!!!

Sean C.

4. michael_ibrahim

michael_ibrahim Member

Yep, that's the plan. I'm going to need to do quite a bit of research as well to make sure that it's going to be physically possible for me to make my appointments. I'm not keen on driving, since I've never driven on the other side of the road before! So I want to take public transport within cities where possible.

Ahhh!,... so much to plan!

5. michael_ibrahim

michael_ibrahim Member

I've been to Perth many times,... just not for business though :AOK

6. Marlowe

Marlowe Member

New York:

1) Rudy's (+ the rest of the music stores on 48th street & 7th avenue)
    2) 30th Street Guitars (30th between 7th & 8th avenues)
    3) East Village Music Store (East 4th street)

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Welcome to America! And all the best with your connections. Too bad you couldn't swing by Texas for the Arlington Guitar Show in October. :)

Dallas area has some good shops...also, Nashville would make sense.
    Greg

8. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

Public transportation in L.A. could be a very painful (and long) experience. Some stores to check out: True Tone in Santa Monica, the Amp Shop in Sherman Oaks, Mesa Boogie in Hollywood. If you want to go big, Guitar Center's HQ is somewhere in the valley I think?

9. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Been to Sydney once or twice myself :) Good luck on the trip Michael...good to see your pedals finally making it to the local retailers over here too!! :crazy

10. starfish

starfish Member

I would recommend you scratch San Antonio, except for site seeing. Austin, which is slightly north (90 minute drive), has established itself as the rock capital of the U.S. (i.e. South By Southwest is now attended by more than CMJ in NYC, home of City Limits, etc.). Of course, it will still be argued that LA is it with its surplus of uninspired hard rock and crap major labels. Keep in mind, great music is mentioned nowhere in the term "show biz."

11. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

So Austin is the "Rock Capital of the US"? Puhlez....:roll

12. theHoss

theHoss Member

Howdy,

I don't know if you have looked at it yet, but Colorado has quite a bit to offer.

Denver: www.guitarx.com (Best botique store in CO by far.) If you are going to head that way, let me know and I will contact Gary and give him a heads up. He has sold several of your pedals (used) and likes what he hears.

Just a thought.

Take care.

13. erksin

erksin Member

San Jose/south bay area stores:

Guitar Showcase (San Jose)
    Gelb Music (Redwood City)
    Gryphon Guitars (Palo Alto)

San Francisco/Oakland area:

Real Guitars (SF)
    Subway Guitars (Berkeley)

North Bay:

Zone Music (Cotati)

Each of these retailers do higher end stuff and are independent (I think). I'm sure there are a few others I've missed...

If you're driving from CA to Seattle, stop in Portland too - Apple Music Row might be worth your while as well.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!!!

14. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Maybe of Texas.

The sad part about that list is you're never, ever gonna be in the midwest. :(

15. michael_ibrahim

michael_ibrahim Member

I know! I was up last night reading my Loney Planet travel guide, and damn! I'm getting increasingly intrigued by the US. I seriously wish I had a year to zig-zag across the country. I get the feeling that so many people make the mistake of going down one coast, fly across the country, and go up the other. My wife and I have been planning to do a trip to the US and Canada for the last 2 years, but alas, her PhD is running behind schedule, and the pressure's on to finish.

I'm trying to squeeze the trip into 21 days, so most inter-city travel will be by plane. I'll probably catch train between closer cities. I'd like to meet about 100 retailers in that time, so I don't think I'll be doing a lot of sight seeing :( .

Keep the suggestions coming!

16. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

In Chicago/Chicago area:

Make 'n Music -- Teddy Gordon is the owner, (312) 455-1970

Flynn Guitars in Evanston, IL

The Music Gallery in Highland Park, IL

Ronnie's House of Rock near O'Hare Airport, Ronnie Reis is the owner, (630) 238-1777

Those are the places that I'd make sure I'd hit when in the area.

Cheers,

Doc :)

17. Ned

Ned Member

For New York:

I would agree to check out Rudy's Music store and 30th Street Guitars. There are also many stores in the area of those two shops that you might have interest to look into but i have not have personal experience with them.

Also for public transportation, Rudy's Music is right near the 50th street train stop on the 1 train if that means anything to you :AOK

Good luck and enjoy the city!

18. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

...I guess no matter which way you go your going to miss something.

you might try a nothern zag before you zig ~~~ would depend on the time of year too....

But
    Boston > New York > Philly > Pittsburg > Detroit > Cleveland/Cinnci > Indianapolis > Chicago > St. Louis > Tulsa > down to Texas and then west would cover alot of ground ...

the northeast is the easiest place to hit the most people in the least amount of time.....

theres also Amtrak for much of this but if your going to be plane hopping and not sightseeing ( you should really take sometime to look around or at least take a few bus rides so you can look while someone else drives..... either way sounds like quite an adventure

19. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

When in NY, you might want to hit Pedal Geek. They're on Long Island and are a pretty good online retailer as well. Are you hitting Musician's Friend? I've seen the odd boutique pedal there lately. And in Maine there's Music Toyz. Off the beaten path for you, but Maine is beautiful.

20. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

...in fact once you have your itinerary in place we could probably find someone in each of the big cities to hustle you around for a day:YinYang