Making my own tremolo, can I do it cheaply?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brand0nized, Feb 23, 2012.

1. brand0nized

brand0nized Member

I found this kit for DIY Tremolo
    http://www.buildyourownclone.com/tremolo.html

It costs $75.
    Here are the parts:
    [​IMG]
    (I put it in a picture so it won't take up as much space)

I'm absolutely new with pedal making. Can anyone tell me if all these parts could be bought at RadioShack and PedalParts at a cheaper price than getting the kit?

I want to get one of those smaller footprint enclosures, because I LOVE the way the Lovepedal Babyface tremolo looks.

2. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

Overprized but if you have no experience making pedals, no tools (drillpress...) etc this might be a good start.

I checked a german website and it's 45€ for a complete effect, including enclosure and knobs...

http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php/info/p1831_Das-Tremolo---Tremolo-Bausatz.html

And that thing is versatile as hell...

So keep your eyes open for other kits

3. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I would think the most important part is the instructions which won't be included at Radio Shack. I'd start with a kit-I haven't had the guts to try one yet-mostly because they are fairly expensive considering there's a chance it might not work when I'm done or might have issues. I've bought enough name-brand boutique pedals off ebay with various problems that make me wonder how my attempt might turn out flawless. GGG kits are generally cheaper than BYOC.

Really, I'd only be interested in building one that's no longer made-otherwise, buying a used pedal is about the same price as the kit in a lot of cases.

4. barron

barron Member

What about buying a cheap, used pedal for $15 etc? You might find a new one for that price and take it apart. Do you just want to build a pedal or do you want to know more about pedal building?

5. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

6. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

If you are new to making pedals, no way you will fit in in a Babyface size case. Parts are expensive at RS. And you would have to buy a board and know how to wire it, where as those BYOC PCB are basically paint by numbers.

If you want one cheap, buy a BYOC used. Those Tremolos pop up for about $50 shipped with some regularity.

7. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

If you are new at pedal building, use a kit (like byoc or ggg).

If you know your way around a circuit, build the EA trem on stripboard. It will be about half the cost of the kits.

8. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

^^^ Plus you can fit the EA circuit into a 1590a

9. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

You can get the EA kit at GGG for $60, or get the board separately. It supposed to be a killer tremolo.

10. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

No kidding. Even if Rat Shack had all the parts you needed (which they don't), it would cost a buttload of money. They sell low-voltage elctrolytic caps for about 50 cents, which is insane. :omg

You could always buy a used tremolo for cheap, but they you wouldn't get to build it.

11. dlab

dlab Member

Sourcing all the parts would probably cost more in time and shipping from multiple sources than what you'd save. Also to get good enough prices you'd have to buy some of the parts in bulk, then you have a bunch of parts left over at the end. The whole "doing it myself is cheaper" thing only applies to people who already have the knowledge and have built up a reasonable inventory of parts, tools and materials to work with.

Also you wouldn't have a PCB to work with which means you'd have to assemble on perf or vero so the degree of difficulty and things that could go wrong goes up. IMHO kits are the best ways to get started for true newbies.

But I'd recommend the GGG kit over this one.