Making the best use of my PA pieces

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Crowder, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

We've got a handful of outdoor gigs coming up, which has me thinking about the best way to put the PA gear I have to its most effective use. We don't really have a time or place to experiment too much with different setups until we're at a gig, and then of course we're focused on trying to get ready to play. So if you can bear with me, I'm going to think out loud here and ask for any and all suggestions.

Here's what I own, speaker-wise:
    2 QSC K8
    2 RCF NX 12 SMA
    1 JBL PRX612M
    1 JBL PRX618S

We use three stage monitors and two tops over one bottom. The last couple of gigs we did, we used the RCFs and the JBL as monitors, and the K8's over the sub as mains. This worked really well for an indoor gig in a large room. We did an outdoor gig with the same setup, and we could have used more punch and headroom from the vocals.

With more outdoor gigs coming, I am thinking about running the RCF speakers as tops. They're 12" two-ways, and they have plenty of power. Their monitor-style form factor may make them look odd as mains, but they have end-mounted pole cups and the manufacturer encourages their use as mains. And frankly, it is odd that we would use our most costly speakers as floor monitors and something lesser as mains.

On the other hand, the form factor of the K8's means that you have to come up with some sort of hack to use them as monitors. We're using them that way in our practice space now. I have a couple of plywood cradles that I made when we were using all JBL 612M's, and the K8's rest decently in those. I also have an old amp stand that could hold a K8 at knee level on one side of the stage, and the other could rest on top of the sub.

Complicating things a bit, the RCF speakers have only a 60*x60* dispersion pattern. The K8's have a much wider dispersion, but of course the mid driver is 8" versus 12".

A third option would be to try to trade out of the K8's into something that works better as a monitor. Maybe K10's or similar from Yamaha etc.

If you have any great ideas or thoughts on this puzzle, please let me know.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. ercguitar

ercguitar Supporting Member

I would say you're definitely on the right path with using the RCF's as your mains. That's what I would do. The monitor situation could be solved by running side fills instead of wedges, but a lot of people aren't a fan of that.

If you're seriously considering trading out the K8s, why not just go all out and get some larger mains. Something like the ELX115P's would be the same price as K10's, and have A LOT more throw. They also have a really nice form factor, and could be used as monitors if you wanted to use the RCF's as your mains for smaller rooms.

3. Crowder

Thanks. I think with the sub in the picture, the biggest low/mid drivers I'd consider would be 12's, but I will check out the ELX's.

4. modulusman

modulusman Member

Hard to give any advice without knowing what kind of music, and how big of crowds you are expecting. The RCF would probably be your best choice for mains since it has a 60x60 horn pattern. The K8 would probably not have enough throw since it is a 105 degree conical horn. Only one sub outdoors isn't enough IMO.

5. Chandler

Chandler Member

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

7. Crowder

Yeah, I've tried that. I think the bolts I bought are a hair too long. Also never applied the chair foot for stability. I'll revisit it this hack for sure. Might grab a couple of carpet scraps or welcome mats for stability and to keep that leading edge free of scratches. If none of that works, I can adjust the size of my old 2x4 monitor cradles to match the K8's better.

We're using the K8's in a monitor position at band practice, and with the correct EQ curve and placement we're getting good sound and no feedback. Plus the level and EQ adjustments that we make while using them for practice are likely to translate somewhat to a gig situation.

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

9. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I use the bolt/foot solution w the k8 as well, but sometimes just a small nudge on the opposite end (the true top of the speaker) will cause it to tip over. I took some old yoga blocks, cut them in half and carved out an angled "holder" that supports the middle of speaker (best position I've found). It's significantly lighter but just as sturdy as a wood support, and helps keep the speaker from getting scratched up.

Joe

10. Crowder

That seems like a great idea. Can you snap a pic to show what's working for you?

11. sants

sants Supporting Member

You could also use the k8's on speaker stands as side fills. The have a wide dispersion which could be good or bad for feedback but worth a shot.

Btw, if you decide to get rid of the k8's let me know

12. Crowder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's one resting on an old amp stand I already had. Works great, sits nice and low but at the correct angle. Looking at the pic gives me the idea to flip the speaker the other way, so the tall side of the amp stand is supporting the underside of the speaker.

Will have to consider whether to get another stand for the other one or just prop it on the sub on my side of the stage. Either way will probably be okay.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  13. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

FYI, When going longer distances especially when arraying speakers,
    narrow patterns are more desirable. Wide dispersion usually indicates shorter throw usage. When you are 75 feet way 60 degrees is pretty wide, Sometimes in larger arrays they will use things as narrow as 10 degrees, mind you this is part of a line array. but the theory still applies.

14. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

Mind you I was talking vertical dispersion, 60 degrees is still fine for outdoor longer throw for horizontal

15. Crowder

excellent, thanks.