Making the switch from Analog to Digital lots of questions.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Redhouse-Blues, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I'm a P&W guitarist and for a few years now, I have been using Mesa amp's and a big always changing pedal board. I have a chance to run direct into a great system most weeks and I'd like to try it. A while back ago, I got to try a Pod HD500 and didn't bond with it, honestly at the time it was to much work to get tones I'd live with. Most weeks, I can run direct and once in a while, I fill for someone in another Church, plus other gigs where I would have to use a amp. I'd like something that would work with both. I also need a way to hear what I'm playing, until we get in ears.

I don't know if I should look at one of the many all in one floor boards from Boss, Line 6, Fender and so on. It seems the stuff coming out this year, like the Boss GT 100 would be cool. Or would I be better off with something like an Eleven Rack setup? Axe Fx would be out of the budget, I need to stay under a $1000.

We cover a ton of music and styles and a lot of it gets recorded. I really want something pro sounding. I really think having a rig that could sound like a completely different rig depending on the song or style, would be pretty cool. I have very limited experience with modeling stuff.

What do you guy's suggest?

2. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

11rack. It takes pedals well, so you could keep your board. I would stay very far away from the boss modeling stuff. It just doesn't sound good to me. IMHO.

3. Chadley

Chadley Member

11R all the way. Check out the clips on my soundcloud page. Every guitar tone you hear is the 11R with my pedal board.

http://soundcloud.com/chad-pippin

I was in your shoes about a year ago. I was mostly playing at church and had became quite used to hearing my amp through in ear monitors. The switch to a modeler was actually pretty easy. I get way better and way more consistent sounds now than before. An amp is still hard to beat in some live situations but I sold mine and moved on.

4. Chris Martins

Chris Martins Member

Don't forget you need a midi controller for the 11R, so that adds to the price.
    You might wanna try that HD500 once again but spend a little more time with it. It is a great unit that sounds awesome when properly setup and tweaked, and it also feels great to play. The new firmware, due very soon, will also add a Plexi model that is rumoured to sound absolutely stellar and for 500$, you can't get anything better. Lincoln Brewster is making his 500 sound pretty good I think.

5. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

Anybody who is serious about modeling gear (as self-serving as this will sound) will tell you that the three major items can all do a fantastic job.

The POD HD series is definitely the low end of the scale, but it has some serious tones by serious players. It is no slouch, and it gets better with each update. I'd say that between the original firmware and 1.4 (with 2.0 on the horizon), it is MUCH easier to dial it in just right. And the latest firmware even came with patches that just had...wait for it...an AMP, with some REVERB. Great way to use the presets without turning off a thousand effects.

The 11R is a great bit of kit. Like any item, it has its limitations...but there is a reason why many talented artists didn't want to let it go during pre-release demo sessions.

The Axe, while out of your budget, very much takes the cake...and that was what it was designed to do. If you can hear it in your head, chances are you can get it.

The Mustang Floor will probably be a pretty serious contender. The amp sounds are already proven, and the format is popular.

The GT-100 has some really promising demo tones, but those only tell you so much. Many people have no taste for COSM modelling. Maybe Roland redid it this time and got it right. We'll see.

6. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I don't think the HD series is a "low end of the scale" actually. That belongs to some really small cheap products (that might actually work for you!). I have tried a lot of these and the 500 HD works FANTASTIC for me.

Whatever way you go with this, you need to spend the time tweaking patches. No way around that.

One alternative that is cheap to try is to get one or two Tech 21 Character Pedals and run direct from them using your existing pedalboard.

7. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

Here's another vote for the 11R from someone who also owns an HD500 (use it as a MIDI footswitch for the 11R). Call me a tone snob or cork sniffer but being used to Triaxis / JMP-1 + tube power amp there's simply no comparison between the POD HD and the 11R. As usual, IMHO, YMMV ad nauseum. Don't get me wrong, the HD500 isn't a bad modeler, but when it comes to tube feel and responsiveness the 11R is hard to beat - again, IMHO, YMMV ad infinitum.

8. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I really dig your sound, good stuff!! Can you tell me more about your rig and how your using it??

9. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

Which one would be the easiest to use for someone new to this? Or easier to use on the fly live? Something on the floor is a must playing live, with the 11R what kind of floor board??

Which one overall gets the praise for sounding the best?

Thanks!!

10. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

11rack is definitely the easiest to edit on the fly b/c the onboard interface is so easy to use. it has knobs just like a normal amp. plus it really sounds great.

the behringer 1010FCB with the Eureka Prom chip is one of the most popular, easiest, and cheapest floor controller solutions.

11. eclecto-acoustic

I only meant that in relation to the Axe and the 11R.

12. DRS

DRS Member

I recommend the OP get an HD500 and spend an hour or two getting to know it with the PC editor. A few set up tips and you sail by all the crappy L6 presets and pitfalls and you are into good tones.

I went through what the OP is going through. I chose the HD500. It is the best price/feature/tone ratio of any modeling solution. I was going to get the 11R but what stopped me was the I'd have to get a floor controller and expression pedals plus a rackcase. So right off, add $400 to a unit that was already $350 more at the time (july 2011). Plus I would've needed a $99 expansion pack plus paid upgrades to get to Pro Tools 10. The newest online 11R deals have the upgrade and PT10 for a good price ($650?) but you still need the floor board/pedals. Used is dicey due to the whole registration thing (check previous threads). I believe the 11R is more intuitive and has some better sounding amps, but I've got some great amps and FX out of my HD. Just takes more tweaking. And all the HD upgrades are free.

The GSP1101/c2 was an option I almost went for but Digitech isn't supporting this unit anymore - some guy does upgrades in his basement. The RP1000 is very similar to the HD500 but same caveat as the GSP - old technology that is not supported.

The AxeFX line is the cat's meow but big $$$ in Canada, and same old floor board rack issues except that the recommended floor controller is $900 alone.

I'm happy with the HD500 knowing that within 3 years, some awesome new, affordable technology will come along.

13. eclecto-acoustic

Price/tone ratio.

I like it.

14. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

And have a couple of presets to share.
    I've got a Blues thing working. I know, how easy could that be.
    If you know blues you know it's more than a tube screamer!
    Just hoping!

Peace LSPAULSP

15. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I don't think the HD 500 is "easy" to use for someone brand new to this by any stretch, unless you hook a computer up to it.

You might want to actually consider the HD 400. It might get you all you need, and be easier to program "on the fly at a gig". I don't program my 500 at a gig... ever... I don't think I would.

16. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Definitely consider the GSP1101. It not being supported isn't a big deal since its basically at end of life, has a very full and fleshed out feature set, and is super reliable. Not only that its a great sounding piece. The guy doing the upgrades from his basement is one of the original designers from digitech so he's not some random guy. Trust me I went looking for an Eleven rack and the lack of an integrated foot controller and limited options turned me away. I bought a GSP1101 and foot controller for $400, an ART SLA-2 amp for $100, and a Mesa thiele cab with an EVM for $300 and its possibly the best sounding rig I've ever owned. Especially across a broader range of sounds and volume levels.

17. DRS

DRS Member

Agreed. Aside from twisting the tone knobs to cure an overly bright patch, I would never edit a patch without my laptop hooked up and I don't bring that to gigs.

18. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

11R is perfect for you. My buddy uses it, direct into the PA ... it is easy and intuitive to setup, but more importantly sounds phenominal. And the price is right, especially used.

19. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

You don't NEED a pedalboard with the 11R if you don't activate pedals or change amp channels during a song. You can turn off any effect by hitting the buttons in the front. But a Midimate works great. I am an Axe II user, I have tried the POD stuff, modeling is the way to go nowadays ...

I just think that the 11R works best for most anybody except the OCD few of us who have to have everything "just right".

20. texasdave

texasdave Member

Couple things to add... I have both an Eleven Rack and HD500. 11R is going to wind up as a permanent P&W fixture... for those who tried HD500 initially, the subsquent firmware updates have improved the unit every time... and Lincoln Brewster posted on Twitter a night or two ago that he was tweaking patches for a NEW HD500 firmware release. I love the HD500 for the lightning fast setup... I feel like the 11R has more dynamic range but I'm still tweaking the HD500 and can't beat it for set up and tear down. Eleven Rack in a 4sp rack w/ a power conditioner and a midi foot controller is about like hauling an amp and pedalboard.

Carry on!