Making the tremolo of a G&L Legacy to "dive only"

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kummeli, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

Hi,

I have a G&L Legacy that I love.. But it's giving me headache. I would like to use drop d-tuning every once in a while but hate to do so 'cos it requires a full tuning on all strings. So I was thinking of blocking the whole tremolo.

But then again.. I like to use the tremolo. So, is it possible to make the tremolo to "dive only" so I could use alternative tunings while still be able to use the tremolo?

2. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

A G&L dual fulcrum can't be "decked" like a six point Fender trem by tightening the springs. There are felt washers under each bridge post so it sits above the body.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Blocking is easy but you lose uptrems, of course.
    You also have to have enough spring pressure to snap the trem back to the block when you detune to D. This makes for a stiff feel and an unfortunate thwack when you release the arm. No shimmery sounds.
    There is no way to have it all. AFAIK.

4. xXMeebleXx

xXMeebleXx Member

Mine is setup in the manner Southpaw suggested. Plays and sounds good.

5. scott944

scott944 Member

Saw a pic somewhere the other day where someone had taken a bit of steel bent to a 90 degree angle, with one side attached to the body (underneath the trem springs) and the other side resting against the trem block (with a small bolt threaded through, to make it adjustable). Since this doodad is located in the trem spring cavity, it should work on a G&L.

That said, what about the commercialy available solutions like the Tremel-No?

6. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

If for the wood block I quess it has to be small enough to allow the dive on tremolo?

The Tremel-No seems interesting but is a bit pricy ordered to Finland.

7. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

My guitar tech installed a small bolt in the trem block on the spring side, which can be adjusted to maintain proper bridge position and break angle. It fixes the bridge for stability like decking a vintage 6 screw bridge, allowing only downward trem use. It cured my tuning stability problems with the floating Legacy bridge.

8. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Supporting Member

I've used something as simple as this to block a trem to dive only.

[​IMG]

9. scott944

scott944 Member

^^^ That's what I was trying to describe, though the one I saw was home-made.

10. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

Do you have a photo of this installed?

11. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

Same kind that 'tonedetiger' posted?

12. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

No. He just tapped the trem block for a plain old machine screw. Much simpler. He's done the same for me before with Fender 2-point trems.

13. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Lol... G&L's tremolo system is arguably the most stable on the planet. I've had absolutely no problems with tuning stability.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong... ;)

14. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

Yours stays in tune when you use Drop-D tuning? No need to re-tune other strings?

15. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Regardless of whether my guitar has a vibrato system or not... I always have to retune each string when tuning down to drop D. With each string, I'm releasing tension on the neck, so of course I'll have to retune each string. My Les Paul and ASAT need retuning each time, and my Legacy does as well.

Now my Legacy may take just a few moments longer, but nothing substantial at all. When I'm actually IN alternate tunings, it still stays in tune just fine.

So no, I still don't understand the issue I guess... :dunno

16. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Supporting Member

Here you go. LocTite makes a formula (the blue I think) that locks the set screw in place, but allows for some adjustment. I put a drop or two of that on the threads once I get it in position.

[​IMG]

sixesandsevens likes this.
  17. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

You're doing it "right" and you know it. :^)

The Dual Fulcrum Trem on the Legacy, S-500 and Comanche is the culmination of work dating back at least to 1954, and Leo finally got it perfect.

Now, some guys want to mess with the perfect trem. I say, if you wanna do experimental tunings plus keep aspects of a Strat style trem, just use a Fender design as your starting point. The G + L trem has in my view no distinct advantages insofar as partially disabling or messing with the trem. The development of strange adaptations is all over on the FMIC side and if there's a reason to do something (and even if there isn't), someone with a FMIC Strat has already done it and you can slipstream off them. IMO.

18. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

haha... I'm glad you caught my intentionality. :)

Now seriously... I have NEVER owned a guitar that DIDN'T need a full retune every time I tried an alternate tuning. Am I alone in this? Maybe I'm just taking crazy pills... no... no I'm not.

Every single key you want to tune to will completely change the tension on the neck, which in turn changes the intonation of the strings. Therefore, all strings must be adjusted.

Unless you're using an aluminum (or stronger material than that even) neck, I can't possibly imagine a scenario where you wouldn't have to retune each string. It's just not possible.

For the record... no... I don't own "dud" or crappy guitars. I've got an incredibly stable '12 Gibson LP Standard and '13 G&L Legacy currently... and about 7-8 other very nice electrics in years past. Most of them had sublime necks, some better than others... but they all needed to be retuned.