MakoPlex, Quick Rod, Peacemaker, other?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kruts, Mar 19, 2006.

1. kruts

kruts Member

I'm thinking about replacing my Bogner XTC with a makoplex, splawn
    quick rod, or mojave peacemaker. I've listened to all the clips on
    websites. I want a more organic amp... the XTC just doesn't do it
    for me, plus it's got a million switches and relays... to much stuff that
    can go wrong!

The amp will drive a bogner cabinet loaded with V30s. I'm also considering
    buying a marshall HW cabinet.

I dig the early EVH tone. A single channel amp does not limit me as I
    play mostly overdriven stuff anyway.

Any recommendations? If you have any other suggestions,
    either 50W or 100W, chime in... although the 50W needs to have the
    balls and girth of a 100W so keep that in mind.

Sound, price, reliability, lifetime warranty all matter, although sound is
    the most important factor.

2. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

If you want organic- the Splawn is not the way to go. Mojave and Mako are nice builds... but if you want Marshall sounds why not just get a Marshall?? Keep in mind "organic" isn't generally the first word that is associated with any marshall style amp- because they are usually hard to play. As are their inspired-by counterparts. All my Marshalls are hard to play. Organic comes from the hands with these things- and your Bogner.

I also would not equate features with "breaking down". That is INSANE. You are paying the big bucks for QUALITY. My Herbert has more features, switches and components than just about any amp on the planet- yet I will never worry about something going. Just an example.

A 50 watter will also never have the attack of the 100 watter. Too many people get 50 watters cause they think it has to do with Volume. It doesn't. A 50 watter is a loud beast. You should be looking at 50 watters because you prefer how they sound and feel versus a 100. If you want more organic, I'd would suggest a 50. Less headroom and tightness than the 100 (while still being loud and tight). Its all about the attack baby!

So anyways- back to recommendations. I think you are on the right path if you want EVH in the Mojave, Mako, Germino, MARSHALL, Roccaforte area. Hope this helps! You have the pick of the litter if you sell your Bogner for what it's worth. Good luck!!

3. kruts

kruts Member

Thanks for the recommendation steve10358. I've noticed a fair number of splawns for sale on ebay recently... usually indicative of people that are not happy with the sound. :(

Regarding the bogner XTC, I have read that people have had issues with the footswitch relays, potentiometers failing. So, you are correct, I shouldn't equate features with reliability, and instead focus on the manufacturer's history for reliabilty. However, the bogner XTC is big bucks... so one would expect quality. :confused:

I'm curious, is the diezel herbert in the same sound category of amps that I should consider?

Ya, I prefer the attack of a 100W amp. When you recommend to consider a marshall, specifically which one are you suggesting? I have a marshall jcm 800 100W head (1981), which is a great sounding amp, but I'm looking for something a bit 'browner'. Running a marshall 1959HW wide open through a THD hotplate might get me there, however I'm also wondering if a MV amp will get the tone I'm looking for, so that I don't need to worry about burning out transformers, exhausting tube life, at high volumes.

I guess my search is a common theme among some gp users, and I'm hoping others that have had the same questions will provide some insight.

And yes, I know that tone starts with the fingers... so don't bother reiterating for me. My fingers are getting there :)

Thanks!

4. Ironman

Ironman Member

Roccaforte Custom series. I tried out a Custom 80 and Custom 30. I ended up with a Custom 30 and I'm a 100w Marshall kind of guy. The 30 runs 6v6's or El34's. W/EL34's she's running at about 50 watts. I liked the added compression of the 30, the notes seem fatter. FYI, I tried out a Mojave Scorpion a year ago and sold it. The Roccaforte has way more balls! Huge sounding, beautiful big bottom, clear and articulate and really has an awesome punch! I'm running mine with an OCD and I'm getting some of the best tones of my life. If you're out shopping don't overlook the Roccaforte's.

5. kruts

kruts Member

Thanks ironman, I will check out the roccaforte's for sure - are the wait times lengthy? Can't be longer than the Makoplex wait time I guess.

Thanks again!

6. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

I had my heart set on buying a xtc but I changed my mind after playing the splawn quickrod. I loved it so much I bought a new one. The honeymoons over and I still love it. The build quality is awsome.

7. Ironman

Ironman Member

I went online and found a couple of dealers selling them at blow out prices. Also look on Ebay, a dealer is selling there too. I had a 48 hr. approval which is a nice peace of mind. I got the Custom 30 for $1800 brand new, no wait. Worth every penny!

8. Stewart

Stewart Member

Concerning your question, I can save you a bunch of money here! I've spent it for you already!:BEER Here's what I feel when I play a master volume amp::horse Here's what I think of most of the "boutique" amps concerning the term "organic"::NUTS I have become convinced long ago that master volumes are tone killers. They just are and much less dynamic feeling. Master volume amps don't flow and "breathe." I've played just about every boutique amp you can "shake a stick at":horse and the verdict is no thanks. Lot's of reasons w for this, but to discuss it would take too long. I prefer old Marshalls and Fenders. Some of the best amps I ever played were old Marshall 100 watts WITHOUT master volumes and PROPERLY tubed up which means NOS TUBES! Preferably made before 1974. They run best around those and that's what they were built around. There are no "clones" that truly nail down the Marshall sound with great accuracy. It's in the subtle nuances, but if you really have an ear for this, they just don't. We can argue this forever, but this is my opinion. The "best" Marshall sound is going to be logically secured by simply finding a Marshall you like. If you want "organic" avoid channel switching and master volumes at all cost. Organic means touch responsive, harmonic and breathing! Once you get involved with channel switching, master volumes and new tubes, you're finished insofar as you'll be MANY miles from organic. Want AC/DC or something along those lines? Get ready to spend BIG MONEY. Why? To do that right, you'll need the right old Gibson SG, the right vintage Marshalls properly tubed up with the "right stuff." For that fat, woody tone you WILL need the old wood cabs from the 60's or 70's with the speaker types they used and so on. It's a lot of money now. Finding good stuff is rough and expensive. I mess around with a lot of different things. It changes, but I like things that are fast responding and fairly open. Today's recipe is one that I've actually been happy with for a couple of years which is amazing for me! The set up I have right now is a couple of 1968 Marshall basketweave cabinets. One with 30 watt speakers and one with 25's. The cabs are straight front. I'm using an old Les Paul with Tom Holmes pickups in it and of all things, a Komet 60 head with Amperex and Mullard tubes in in from the 60's. Not a cheap rig by any means, and not the MOST organic, but LOUD and VERY fun to play. Talk about DYNAMIC.:BEER

9. kruts

kruts Member

Thanks Ironman - I'll google for custom 30 and check ebay as well.

Stewart - thanks for your perspective. I agree - once you start putting more an more electronics, switching, circuitry, etc. you lose that 'something' in the tone. It's like those rack systems from the 80's... you lose harmonics due to the processing, A/Ds, etc. Do you use an attentuator with the NMV amp? Do you use any overdrive pedals? Or do you wind it up and let 'er go raw?

10. myles111

myles111 Member

The Mako amps are killer and of the choices you presented originally would be my personal pick. Now if you toss a Roccaforte into the mix then it would be a hard choice.

One of each would be pretty spectacular.

11. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Peacemaker has power dampening for crankage at lower volumes without an MV.

12. myles111

myles111 Member

I do not care for attenuators built into amps. If you want some sort of attenuation get a stand alone attenuator. That is my personal take on these things.

Master volumes also let you change the ratio of front end distortion and overdrive to output distortion. This is different than attenuators and another "tool" and use of properly designed master volume circuits.... and there are a lot of crappy masters ..... but the Mako and Roccaforte amps have great masters.

13. kruts

kruts Member

I listened to some of the roccaforte clips... custom 40 and 80. Pretty cool, but would require a pedal to get a bit more gain that I'm looking for. Couldn't find any clips on the custom 30 though. The HG 100 clips sound a bit too shill... on the treble side.

The makoplex clips sound awesome. I find it difficult to justify the peacemaker price when you compare the splawn quick rod or makoplex price.

Anyway, lots of interesting viewpoints so far - thanks! You've brought to my attention several things I hadn't thought about. Keep 'em coming.

BTW, I'm open to a pedal and NMV amp with hotplate combination. For example, I've heard lots of good things about the fulltone OCD and a non master volume head.

I have also gone down the SLO path in the past, which was nice at the time but I found it to be too grainy, and would often get lost in the mix of a band setting. I've got the guitars that will get me a part of the tone I'm searching for: charvel EVH, axis, peavey EVH... basically the EVH pickup is key. Now, just need to find the right amp to unleash the brown tone (and plus keeping practicing like crazy!)

14. xray

xray Gold Supporting Member

A Rocca Custom 80 or HG100 and an OCD are perfect for what you want. I'm running a HG100 with an OCD and the old school VH tones couldn't be better.

15. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

www.aikenamps.com the Corsair which is the gain channel of the Sabre (clips under the artist section of the site) would be a very good choice for what you're describing, organic, harmonically rich, thick and defined and more than enough gain for what you're interested in. Plus Randall is an awesome guy.

-TJK

16. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

The Mojaves don't use attenuators, do they? My understanding is the system is more akin to Kevin O'Connor's power scaling, but perhaps someone else can clear this up. No idea why the amps are so expensive.

The OCD is a fine, semi amp-like pedal, but you have to use it judiciously. I use one for playing at home. It isn't as satisfying as cranking an amp, but it can restore some of that flavor when you're playing around 5/10. I'm currently looking into the Stephenson Stage Hog - in part because of its plexi flavors. There are no clips to be had, but there are many happy users. Do a search here at TGP. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than a new amp.

17. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

all the suggestions are good ones.
    personally, i have yet to hear anything as good as vic plugging his strat into a peacemaker for a killer rock sound.

even though i have a peacemaker i still can't make it sound like vic's vh tone.

but i'm finding lots of things the 'Maker can do along the way:

my latest peacemaker clips

18. kruts

kruts Member

mentoneman - thanks for the post. Interesting that you can't make it
    sound like vic's vh tone... I'll keep that in mind.

Will a stephenson amp get me the EVH, modded plexi, organic tone?

All great suggestions so far - to summarize:
    Roccaforte Custom 80/30 HG 100
    Mojave Peacemaker
    Splawn QuickRod
    Mako Makoplex
    Aiken Corsair

All of them run between 1500 to 1800 street prices, except for the peacemaker which is $3025. Is the peacemaker really worth the extra
    $1000??? I notice mojaveampworks has a new pricing/financing scheme... perhaps vic is having some issues selling at these prices?

Anyway, the other amp that came to mind is wizard, now based out of
    Ottawa, Canada. The prices for the wizard plexi head is around $3100-3300USD. Anyone have experience with the wizard amps?

Thanks again everyone for replying - as I am a newbie here, I find it
    a very friendly, professional, and most importantly informative environment.

19. funk49

funk49 Member

Try a 12XXX Series from Metroamp. The clips I've heard from those are amazing if the EVH tone is what you're looking for. Good luck.

20. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Metro amp.

www.metroamp.com

George even has a switchable power transformer to go from 400v to 525v on the plates (like using a variac but safe). george can build it or you can build it yourself and learn tons in the process.