Malawi Refugee Camp - LET'S DO SOMETHING GOOD!!!!!

Surfreak

Dear TGP Friends,

This is a follow up to the awe-inspiring thread on the guitar maker in the Malawi Refugee Camp.

Many of us keep a stash of guitar parts, and perhaps we might not need *everything* we've got.

If you have any spare parts you don't need, how about we send them to this very gifted guitar maker? To do so, we need at least the following:

- find out where in Malawi he lives

- find out which, if any, NGO is already liaising with the local authorities for general funding, assistance and logistics.

- designate a TGP rep to liaise with said NGO, or directly with the guitar maker. This is key, as this person would need to be able to collect any donated guitar parts and ship them out, say, once a year or something like that.

- establish a TGP support fund for the shipping costs, in order to accept cash donations to pay for the shipping.

I am Italian but I'm currently based in Bruxelles, Belgium, and several NGOs are headquartered here, so I would be happy to start enquiring, and contribute to this initiative in any possible way.

What do YOU think?

zztomato

Awesome. You could start with the producer of the short vid. Not really sure how you go about getting supplies to a refugee camp though and wether or not any NGO would be willing to help get luthier supplies- not exactly an emergency. However, with a growing number of NGOs focused on sustainable development, it may be possible to find someone. I could easily find a box of tools from my shop -fret files, corian, maybe strings.
PM and keep me in the loop.

Here's his website. http://lpgpatron.webs.com/ could probably contact him directly.

SackvilleDan

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm willing to donate some parts! I have a bunch of old tuners, some pickups and Strat bridges... Just PM me with where to send them when you get it figured out!

It might be a good idea to organize donation through a luthier supply type place such as Guitar Fetish or Stew-Mac. TGP members could make $$ contributions and the luthier supply retailer could ship directly with professional packing and more efficient shipping costs. We might even be able to get a discount on items as well, although GFS certainly has plenty of low cost items that might be useful to the guys at L.G.P.

zztomato

It might be a good idea to organize donation through a luthier supply type place such as Guitar Fetish or Stew-Mac. TGP members could make $$ contributions and the luthier supply retailer could ship directly with professional packing and more efficient shipping costs. We might even be able to get a discount on items as well, although GFS certainly has plenty of low cost items that might be useful to the guys at L.G.P.
great idea. Could you handle that part?

great idea. Could you handle that part?
Well I suppose I will give it a shot! Stay tuned.

I think I will start by contacting the luthiers in Africa via the contacts on their web page and see if they have a wish list for supplies, not to mention a shipping address.

zztomato

Well I suppose I will give it a shot! Stay tuned.

I think I will start by contacting the luthiers in Africa via the contacts on their web page and see if they have a wish list for supplies, not to mention a shipping address.
I sent an email already.

zztomato

I got perhaps what was an auto-reply to "please call me if it is an emergence".
He speaks French of course- I don't. His English is sparse.
I'll give him some time to respond to my follow up email.

slider

I'm not in a position to contribute here, but thought I'd bump it for added visibility.

(Would like to see a video of someone explaining relic'ing to this luthier.)

adamg

When this gets going, I would like to contribute.

This is a great idea and so much better than arguing if flat head pick guard screws sound better than Philips.

Adam

zztomato

Alright! I've had a reply.

"I'm really thankful for this but honestly am in need of every thing:
fretwire., glue, varnish, and tools( electric tools) for electric
guitars, all parts it is hard to find them here, Bridges, strings,
volumes, Head machines,... so pleas I really
need your support.
you may send me things on this address J.R.S Malawi PO. Box 31711 Lilongwe
Mushamuka Nyirenda Patron
Guitar Maker at Dzaleka refugee camp Dowa
Phone +265 99 56 19 764
Pleas you send try to contact me first"

I think what he means by "electric tools" is parts like pickups and pots etc- in case there was confusion.

I'm thinking I may dig through my shop and find a box of stuff to send just to see if it gets there.

SackvilleDan

Platinum Supporting Member
Awesome that we got a reply!

...Are we going to mail individual packages or send all our parts to someone central to make one big shipment?

And has anyone heard back from Jay at GFS yet?

zztomato

Awesome that we got a reply!

...Are we going to mail individual packages or send all our parts to someone central to make one big shipment?

And has anyone heard back from Jay at GFS yet?
I feel like it might be wiser to send multiple packages at this time. I would hate to see a large package of new stuff from Stewmac, or other supplier, go missing. I lived in Africa for a short period of time and the corruption at all levels is there. Things go missing occasionally.

If anyone can get a small box of used or unneeded stuff together as a test send, go for it. That's what I'm going to do today if I have time later.
If there are people in your area that could donate some supplies that would be great to make your box bigger.

I feel like it might be wiser to send multiple packages at this time. I would hate to see a large package of new stuff from Stewmac, or other supplier, go missing. I lived in Africa for a short period of time and the corruption at all levels is there. Things go missing occasionally.

If anyone can get a small box of used or unneeded stuff together as a test send, go for it. That's what I'm going to do today if I have time later.
If there are people in your area that could donate some supplies that would be great to make your box bigger.
Originally I was in in favor of a single group order through a central place like Stew Mac or LMI, but I see the advantage of small, separate shipments. However, it would be smart to coordinate the items so we don't all send the same stuff!

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Is this the proper way to address the mailing label? Seems like there should be more lines/info or a different division/order of lines.

J.R.S Malawi
PO. Box 31711 Lilongwe

Edit: This seems correct based upon an internet search. Please correct if wrong.

J.R.S Malawi
P.O. Box 31711
Lilongwe , Malawi , Central Africa

Last edited:
I wrote GFS and here is their reply:

Alex -

Thank you for your email, sure, Guitarfetish ships worldwide daily, sorry, we cannot calculate price quotes, please go ahead and put your items in your cart, and you can calculate the shipping charges before you have to pay.
We currently have our NAMM SHOW Sale Codes running, you can check out the promo here - http://store.guitarfetish.com/Giant-NAMM-SHOW-Sale_c_480.html - .

For orders shipping to an address outside of the US, we offer three USPS International Mail shipping methods –

First Class International – least expensive, generally 7-14 days delivery, does not provide realtime tracking, although delivery can be confirmed.
Priority Mail International – a little more than First Class, generally 6-10 days delivery, provides tracking through USPS.com .
EMS – a little more than Priority, generally 4-7 days delivery, provides tracking through USPS.com .

Of course Customs can cause delays with any package, and we cannot guarantee delivery on any particular day.
Import taxes / duties, or other receiving charges cannot be calculated by Guitarfetish, and are not included with your order, these charges are the responsibility of the customer.
Guitarfetish cannot calculate Import taxes / duties, please contact your local Post Office for further information on your Import taxes / duties.

For orders that have a value below $100.00USD and have a shipping weight below 4 pounds, we will be happy to ship the package marked as "repair parts" and value the parts at the wholesale cost.
Any orders exceeding $100.00USD and / or with a shipping weight over 4 pounds, including orders for Guitars, Guitar Bodies, Guitar Kits, and Handwired Pickguards, will require insurance and the value will not be amended.
Additionally, if package insurance is chosen, we cannot change the value.

We appreciate your interest.

Please reply to this email with your response / information or if you have further questions.
Please keep this message thread so I have our previous information.

Thank you for your business.
Based on that I'd say that they aren't interested in offering any special discounts for donations but they can ship to Africa.

Trending Topics