Malekko Echo 600 & MXR Carbon Copy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mike@nortoncable.com, Sep 4, 2008.

1. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

2. echodeluxe

echodeluxe Member

i just did like three days ago!!!

i have the malekko 600 bright.

to me, the malekko seems more organic and the carbon copy is way darker, even with the malekko in the true bypass setting.

i thought i might dig the carbon copy more, but the malekko blew it away for me. the delays are just better sounding to me. the carbon copy is a great delay, dont get me wrong...

but the malekko is just awesome.

3. mike@nortoncable.com

have you tried the expression pedal on the E600?

4. move

move Member

i have an E600 Bright and recently compared it to a friends Carbon Copy.

i agree with echodeluxe that the Malekko is more organic, and i like how it gets crazier self oscillating madness.

the CC sounds good too though. i like the subtle modulation when you have many repeats piled up on each other.

i'm thinking about getting a CC and using both.

5. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have to agree with this. I have been looking for a small, single space delay to back up my AD900 and to use on my PT mini when I want to run a small, minimal set up. I've had the MP Deep Blue Delay, the Analogman 600ms and they are both nice, but not what I'm looking for.

I bought the CC and it is nice, but there is something in the tone that I was just not totally happy with. I bought a used Malekko 600B in the emporium this weekend and it arrived yesterday. I am in love with this delay. It is my favorite delay after the AD900 that I've tried. Well, my Skeddy Echo probably has that spot realistically, but it doens't do the smae things I want from the AD900 and Malekko.

The Malekko is so much better to my ears than the CC. The CC is not bad at all, it is just not as good as the Malekko. I go the Malekko for $200 used, which is pretty typical, and, for the extra $50, I think it is a much better delay. Of course, this is because I was looking for something similar to my AD900 to use for ambient delays and not be too overbearing. The Malekko has a range on its mix that allows it to do the ambient, reverby type delays and to come on pretty strong if you want that.

CC is back to MF and the Malekko has ended my search for a small, AD900 style delay!

6. josephpnorman

josephpnorman Supporting Member

How does that work?

7. cbpickin

There is a separate 1/4" jack and it controls the number of repeats so you can control its self oscillation. I haven't tried it personally though.

8. analogwarmth

analogwarmth Member

i think that is only on the 600 right?

how does the dark sound? they are made near austin so i cannot wait to get one!!!

9. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I've had a Malekko 600B for a couple weeks now. I have found that it is perfect for ambient use - especially with the expression pedal input. When there are pauses in a song or your playing, you can increase the repeats for it to start to go into oscillation. If you do it right, it can be very musical and not crazy or noisy. A very cool effect!

As far as the repeats "blending" together, i would have to say the Analogman AR20XL is better. But there is something more old school and warm about the Malekko, and the expression pedal is the icing on the cake for me.

10. disguiseglasses

disguiseglasses Member

I found the Carbon Copy to be nearly crystalline.
    Glassy, shimmery- whatever adjective you prefer.
    It was, for my ears, too pretty.

If I wanted pretty, I'd stick with digital.
    But nay! Give me murk and muck and grime and nasty!
    In other words, give me the Malekko.

Here's my testimonial- I had both.
    I miss the Malekko.
    Good luck in your search.

11. mike@nortoncable.com

Had the Carbon Copy, For $110 its worth its weight in gold- under the microscope its not a contender with the Malekko- all though I had both, in the long run I ended up getting a Diamond Memory Lane 2 at the namm show - so far its the best delay short of the moog delay..

12. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

personally like the cc better, the malekko sounded great hitting 1 note for a listen, but when playing, I like the cc better, the desciption of crystalline I couldn't disagree with more.

13. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

I like the Malekko E600 Dark better than the CC. It's got that vintage analog vibe in spades. For the money, the CC is a great pedal though.

14. cbpickin

I also don't hear the crystalline thing with the CC. It is darker than the Malekko bright and the repeats are dirtier and grittier, to my ears.