Man, am I getting impatient!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Srini, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Srini

Srini Guest

This is the home stretch, I guess - early December delivery on the Suhr....

How do you all manage the wait????

:) :)

Srini

2. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Srini,

My classic is also due in early December. Maybe late November but I'm not counting on it.

What did you order? I ordered a classic in sonic blue with the SSC system & an extra large "D" shape 1" thick.

To pass the the time I bought a Komet head to hold me over.:D

Joe

3. Srini

Srini Guest

Joe,

I ordered a Standard, trying to go for a darker tone, but with a snap. So, it will have a chambered mahogany body with a curly koa top, mahogany neck, Braz board and, yes, a hardtail! H-S-H configuration with the slew of switching options which I'll probably never use!

Like you, I like big necks, and got an Even C huge...I thought about getting the 1" depth, since thats what my Warmoth currently is, but people seem to like the Huge...

Srini

4. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Having other incredibly cool guitars to play in the meanwhile makes the wait no problem for me. But the Suhr I have coming will become my most played guitar, I figure the longer it's in their hand perfecting it the cooler it will be, I don't rush a masterpiece.
    :dude

5. Srini

Srini Guest

I totally agree ...

Srini

6. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

I'm waiting on my Suhr as well. The only other custom build I ever had was my Lentz T, and I expect great things from this one as well: tele style, HSH, 6-hole trem, partially chambered alder body, maple neck with pau ferro board, even C huge.

Ed said it would be in this month, and I'm counting the days!

Ray

7. Srini

Srini Guest

I'm counting the days for mine too. The nice thing is, I can't find any other Suhr that quite matches what I ordered, so its tonal qualities are going to be such a mystery until it shows up. I expect John has built something like it before, but I don't know who else would be sick enough to order one with those specs...:)

Srini

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I complain to my luthier all the time about "how much longer"? Then when the guitar is done, I just pay, play and am happy. Of course, I'm doing "extended restoration" or "project guitars", too, so that makes a difference.

Currently I'm waiting on a restoration of a 63 SG before it goes to the paint shop for it's "Fool SG" Cream era paintjob. I had to replace the fingerboard since it was rutted beyond use, but the new Brazilian board and MOP trapezoid inlays look great with the stainless steel frets, and new binding.

Just need a nut, a headstock overlay, and some final touch ups and it's off to the painter's shop.

I got the guitar (needing alot of work) from my fiance as a birthday present in 2004, and it's been 22 months in the restoration process, finding parts, etc.

I'm guessing your Suhr isn't going to take that long to get to you...am I right? ;)

9. Srini

Srini Guest

No, it isn't going to take that much longer, and I'm not complaining at all. I'm just getting all psyched up...:)

Srini

10. gearlovin

gearlovin Supporting Member

I'm waitin for my gigliotti t style guitar.....

Should receive it around mid december

I have some cool guitars to play but i'm looking at the emporium everyday to find a toy, to help me forget my wait :rolleyes:

I'm a slut for sure!!!

:dude

11. lv

lv Supporting Member

Me too Joe! Same neck shape and size, please let me know how you like it when it arrives. Mine doesn't come in until Feb/March.

12. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Hey Lou,

Sure thing. I'm hoping it will be close to my Nash S's with the Warmoth fatback profile. I'm not too picky. Just need something to fill my pawls. Most Fenders just don't cut it. I'm just impatient to try the SSC system. Three months isn't too bad to wait for a custom guitar. My last last Nash took 6+ months. That was too long.

As for Scumbag's restoration. That sounds like it's VERY involved and would understandably take longer than to build a new guitar. I work at a precision fabricatin shop doing the CAD/CAM programming for turrets & lasers. Nine times out of ten rework/modification is harder than making something from scratch. In this day with the internet people want instant garadification, myself included. That's why some of the gear here, /13's come to mind, don't have much if at all any depreciation. Once my friend paid more for overnight shipping than he did for the pedals he ordered.

Joe