Man Guitar Center sucks for pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ides of March, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

I went into guitar center yesterday to get an MXR Noise Clamp. When the guy asked if he could help me at the counter I said "Do you have the MXR Noise Clamp" He said "The What?" I repeated myself. He said "Is that a pedal?" I said "Yes it is" He said "What does it do?" At this point in my head I was about to say forget it and walk out, but I didn't. I said that it is supposed to kill off unwanted feedback or squeals, tighten up high end amps, kinda like a smartgate. He had to ask the manager who didn't know either and said we can order one, it takes 3 to 5 business days. I said never mind and left.

Now I received a circular in the mail and saw the Noise Clamp advertised in their ad. Along with alot of other pedals that they didn't have. I know that maybe some of the pedals are just for online purchase or whatnot but come on, Guitar Center is a huge place, it's not a small shop, your telling me you can't have a larger assortment of pedals that you advertise in your add to be available to the public other than Boss pedals. I mean Sam Ash has more than they do, and they have Keeley pedals. I just don't understand how a store that big can suck that bad at keeping pedals available. I mean I wanted an MXR pedal not a Wampler or a Zvex. But they do advertise Zvex pedals but of course never heard of them when you ask.

I swear if I worked at GC in the accessories dept I would at least go through the ads and look to see what pedals they offer and read up on them in case someone does ask, ok they don't have it but I know what it is and what it does. I also spend alot of time on here so my gear knowledge has grown alot in the last couple years lol.

2. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I think varies by store. The one here in town doesn't have anything but Boss stuff really, but I stopped in one up in Denver and they had a HUGE assortment of stuff, including brands like Diamond & Empress.

3. TimStraus

TimStraus Member

I asked about a univibe pedal once and got "I don't even know what that is." I can't stand GC's pedals/accessories department.

mcuguitar likes this.
  4. Fendegibs

Fendegibs Member

Sorry that happened...I don't know where you are, by the GC closest to me actually has a tremendous selection of pedals (MXR and Zvex included, along with Lovepedal, Keeley, Fulltone, and many others).

5. a1briz

a1briz Silver Supporting Member

There are different 'grades' of GC stores. For example, the nearest to me is just a 'C'. Pretty much basic Boss pedals, about 2 USA Gibsons, and maybe 1 Historic that has been there for a while. Walls are mostly import brands and models. For the next level up, 'B' I have to travel a bit further. The closest 'A' level store to me is probably their NYC store.

This was explained to me by a manager cause I asked what the deal was with the selection. It heavily depends on the surrounding market.

As far as the employees's level of knowledge, they're just employees, usually young folks who might also like to play instruments. We, on the other hand, are fanatics. I need to remember that everytime I go to GC.

6. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Supporting Member

I think they vary quite a bit, the Boston store has some pretty decent stuff and the guys there are ALL complete tools. ;)

7. phishintrip007

phishintrip007 Member

It really does depend on the store. The one here (in pcola of all places) has some people that actually can talk gear with you. Hell, one of them gave me info on a luthier in cali. that he knew and was like this dude is good and can build what you want cause your not gonna find that here.
    The one here also carries a lot of used pedals, boutique brands, etc. But being a large corporation I can see how the quality of the staff can vary from store to store.

8. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Nashville GC has a nice assortment of pedals. Wife kept telling me to get an SHOD (I held off - argh!). Huntsville GC has nowhere near the pedal stock of the Nashville store.

9. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

Everywhere sucks for pedals compared to whats available on this site alone...

10. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Yeah... this is true. I went to an A store in Atlanta last year, they had the biggest and coolest pedal selection I've seen in a GC. It really depends on the store. The guy in Atlanta was super knowledgeable and passionate, he is the guy actually picking what goes in the case. You're gonna get the same thing in any retail environment no matter what business. It's about how much they're willing to pay people and whether they want to be there or HAVE to be there.

11. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Yeah. The store closest to me isn't that great, but I've been to some that are nice. Also, I'm on TGP and other sites every day and have never heard of the noise clamp.

12. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

maybe you should work there.

mine is pretty good, they sometimes get nice used pedals (cmatmods, prescription electronisc et al)

it was probably something as simple as the pedal guy was on break and they sent the drum guy over to cover.

They keep most of thier stock in view behind the counter so I just point and say "that one" works 9/10.

13. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

I was in a GC during NAMM this year and I said something about how I wish I was at NAMM...He had no idea what NAMM was. I had to explain that it was a large conference every year where companies roll out their new products.

On the way out the door, there was a big sign saying something like "get it as soon as NAMM is over". I chuckled.

mcuguitar likes this.
  14. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I only go to guitar center for strings now. Seriously, why bother. Lol.

mcuguitar likes this.
  15. Zacharia Matilda

Zacharia Matilda Member

It has been my experience that going to a store where you can actually speak to the person who owns it will give you a much more satisfying shopping experience, no matter if you are shopping for pedals, paint or anything else.

In my (admittedly few) trips to a GC I have seen wayyy too much junk on the shelves and wayyy too many people who didn't know/weren't interested in what they were selling.

mcuguitar likes this.
  16. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

The world is FULL of stupid people. They work at ______________ too, not just at Guitar Center.

17. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Besides GC having different grade stores (A, B, C), whenever you start working there, they automatically put you in the accessories department.

So most likely, the person behind the counter is A. making close to nothing B. a total newb.

(I actually applied for a job there back in the day)

You'll never get a job there, and start selling guitars right away.

18. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

It absolutely varies by store when it comes to employee knowledge and training, the purchasing does too.

Unfortunately there are large volume and small volume stores. The smaller volume stores tend to stock what they can sell quickly, generally those are the ****** products.

There are a lot of knowledgable passionate people that work in this industry, many for Guitar Center, but it's a crap shoot sometimes as to who you get on a particular day. I loved selling musical equipment obviously I'm here talking about it and I passionately pursued knowledge, I just had a higher and stedier paycheck in mind when I left college.

Lots of turnover, lots of guys working for the discount alone.

19. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

I would love to work their because I think I could help since I am a gearhead. But the money sucks and it's not a job to pay for a family on.
    And I wasn't really busting on the guy behind the counter as much as the pedal selection. But **** man if you work somewhere like guitar center, you should know what's in your ad in case people ask. Especially if there will be an overflow of people for this weekend's sale, and they all read the ad. I do sometimes have to remind myself that going into GC and expecting a Klon, or King of Tone, or a Timmy pedal, or an Emma pedal is out of the question. But MXR is just as big a name as Boss is it not? Why not have the giant display of MXR and Boss at the same time. The store is plenty big enough. And I know that to most of the employees it's just a **** job, and could care less about the new Noise Reduction pedal, or the difference between the Plexi Drive and the Plextortion but you should know your stock. That's just my opinion mind you.

20. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

For them not to have MXR (or anything dunlop for that matter) and or not find it somewhere in thier system is pretty criminal.