Man, I love Warren Haynes......

noley

Frequently Mistaken for Fabio
Gold Supporting Member
Not only can he play, sing and write... but he’s also a great human being. I’ve met him a few times and he is always kind, polite and willing to chat with fans. Gotta love that.

Hometown Hero here in Asheville. His Christmas Jams have raised a ton of money for Habitat. Even has a street named after him. He’s a hard workin’ man, has a lot going on and always brings it.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
His core tone 15+ years ago was the SLO and he still has one onstage, but most of the time you’re hearing that red Diaz head as his tone foundation. Most of the time the SLO is there too if he needs it. I have seen a ton of recent vids where the SLO isn’t plugged in.

I think about the early ABB years when he used only the SLO and he played with a lot more gain on those first two albums. That Diaz is a killer amp.

I just went back and looked at the vid in the OP... SLO isn’t turned on. Can’t make out the status on the Marshall that’s there next to it, but that cab is mic’d.

that's a killer guitar tone...is that the Soldano?
Agreed, that is an ideal tone. Anyone know the answer to this?

Last edited:

Gclef

I love this guy.

He is the real deal. I am amazed at what he can pull out of his soul to sing and play like that.
He seems to really love music in a way like Hendrix did.

I saw govt mule a few years back. They killed it.

Blooby

His core tone 15+ years ago was the SLO and he still has one onstage, but most of the time you’re hearing that red Diaz head as his tone foundation. Most of the time the SLO is there too if he needs it. I have seen a ton of recent vids where the SLO isn’t plugged in..
Did not know that. I always thought it was a blend of the two.

Massive fan. Might have seen him 200 times among all the bands he's been in. Seems like a good guy as well the brief times I have chatted with him.

Blooby

Marc Roy

Did not know that. I always thought it was a blend of the two.

Massive fan. Might have seen him 200 times among all the bands he's been in. Seems like a good guy as well the brief times I have chatted with him.

Blooby
My understanding is the Diaz is his "clean" tone, and the SLO is for heavier gain (like on a lot of the early Mule stuff). He uses each amp separately.

I saw Mule a few years ago, and he had plenty of gain going on for the earlier stuff. Everything came out clearly. A big component of his sound is volume. My buddy was right up to the stage at that gig, about 10 feet from Warren's cabs, and he got out of there quick!

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
Me and Mrs. Fat will be seeing the Mule on Oct. 1 in Knoxville (part of a mini-whirlwind "...ville" vacation to include Greenville, SC + Asheville, NC + Knoxville, TN.) Would like to work Nashville in there but probably won't. It has the makings of a Cash "I've Been Everywhere" style song.

Back to my original reason for being here; does anyone know who's opening for Gov't Mule currently?

bobmc

Silver Supporting Member
Not only can he play, sing and write... but he’s also a great human being. I’ve met him a few times and he is always kind, polite and willing to chat with fans. Gotta love that.
We brought him a puke green National to try out and sat in the Mule bus just chatting away. Great guy. He passed on the National (but the late/great Allen Woody bought a Maton bass from us). We talked cars (he was following the bus in his used BMW with "DEDHED" plates), road food, etc..

Marc Roy

Me and Mrs. Fat will be seeing the Mule on Oct. 1 in Knoxville (part of a mini-whirlwind "...ville" vacation to include Greenville, SC + Asheville, NC + Knoxville, TN.) Would like to work Nashville in there but probably won't. It has the makings of a Cash "I've Been Everywhere" style song.

Back to my original reason for being here; does anyone know who's opening for Gov't Mule currently?
Not sure they have an opening band for the remainder of the tour. They usually play two 90+ minute sets and an encore or two (time permitting).

If this is your first Mule show, it will not be your last. They bring it live.

84superchamp

Gold Supporting Member
Warren is the complete package
Player
Singer
Songwriter
Saw him with ABB back in the early 90s. They really rocked!
And hopefully not too mushy but a great guy, welcoming all kinds of collaberations and guests on stage with him. The one disagreement with an obvious jackass? Still no comment from Warren but he wrote a song about it: "mr high & mighty". A perfect response from a singer/player/songwriter. The man's a badass. :cool:

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
Not sure they have an opening band for the remainder of the tour. They usually play two 90+ minute sets and an encore or two (time permitting).

If this is your first Mule show, it will not be your last. They bring it live.
We saw them maybe close to 15 years ago. Time and other factors have conspired to make remembering much about the event (including set length) a big challenge.

Trending Topics