Man, I think I am finally getting done!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I have searched, bought, re-sold so many pedals, took losses on most pedals except for about 5-6 where I broke even and another 2 where I may have made 10-20 bucks. For about 5-6 obsessed years, I have been so picky to find and basically try everything out there that appeals to me while not ruining my guitar signal or hifi-ing my 67 plexi or minutely ruining it in other ways.

My collection so far
    ClinchFX EP-3
    Vintage Boss GE-10 ( 3 units, 2 for backups)
    Vintage MXR Phase 90 (very good shap, sold the backup as they aren't that hard to find)
    MXR 117 Flanger, I think it is a 78'? Killer Flanger, rich, thick, huge and very tweakable. The Best.
    Vintage MXR micro amp (2, one for back up)
    RE-201 Space Echo
    Maxon AD-999
    Boss DD-2, modded to true bypass (wasn't easy for the tech or cheap)
    CMATMODS Brownie, Signa
    Abunai 2 ( 2 , both American and hand made Japan Versions)
    Custom Fix My Duck dual Jfet boost
    Stage Hog V7
    Hartman si Fuzz
    Maxon 6 band EQ
    Maxon SD-9
    Zvex Ooooooohhhh wah ;) the sound my solo in Russian Fantasy
    TIM
    Analogman mojo 741 modded DOD YJM308
    Teese Wah WOF
    Barber Tone Press

Only possibly others of interest:
    Tone Freak The Naked OD
    v2 Crunch Box
    BK Butler Tube Driver
    Gjika
    RM Axis
    London Ge fuzz
    Analogman Ge fuzz
    Throbak ODB
    Dunlop Jimi JH-1 fuzzface
    Skreddy Top Fuel
    Catlinbread SCP
    Catlinbread Semaphore
    Vox's to be released Saturator -that is a given ;)
    KR Mega Vibe
    FOXROX AquaVibe
    POD XT
    NOC3 Firefly

possible sales one day?
    The Saturator might boot the SD-9, the CB might boot Brownie, NOC3 Firefly might boot the Signa, may sell a backup GE-10, or an Abunai2.

Well it is cool to WHERE I am and all the possible future pedals clearly defined.
    Took me a lot of obsessing to be certain of the possible pedals to buy. Another year? I don't know... Depends whether or not that possiblility list is completely realized or I pass on one ge fuzz or the pricy Gjika or the pricy Tube Driver.

Anyone else been chasing their F'in tail, too? Who is totally defined, done and happy with their pedal collection? Who is 60-70% like me?
    :munch

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I'm almost there

VHT Valvulator
    Barber LTD
    Maxon CP-9 Compressor
    Diamond Memory Lane
    Zvex Tremolo Probe
    T-rex Replica
    Barber EQ

Want:
    Lush DC2 Clone
    Dr. Scientist RRR

I swear, I'm done after that.

3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

After 3-4 pedals, I'm starting to see the ridiculousness of it. But I'm talking about me here. What I need to be doing above all else is coming up with lasting thematic melodies. I'm confident at this point that I can get a pretty good guitar tone with almost any decent amp/system. Spending time on anything else takes me off purpose.

4. drod2045

drod2045 Member

I was done, then i lost my board and had to restart! so now im almost done for a 2nd time

X2 Wireless
    Pitchblack
    Crybaby
    200lbs
    Barber DDSS
    Occtone MKII
    Boss Super Chorus
    DE-7
    Katana
    Verbzilla

on the way:
    ST-200 tuner
    T Rex Reptile
    Nova Modulator

Still sweatin:
    Dr Scientist RRR
    Deep Blue Delay
    Eternity
    A Good GE Fuzz

I feel like although im sweatin a few pedals, ill always sweat em but probably wont buy them. But since I havent tried the pedals that are on the way, who knows if they will stay or leave. If they stay, bliss. if they go, they go to find the next bliss :)

5. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

Almost done is kind of like "famous last words" to gear junkies like us ;)

Having said that, I've tried a ton of OD pedals, modulation, etc. and I'm pretty happy with my set-up. I've been focusing more on playing, technique, etc. than researching gear which is a good thing.

I do like posting, talking, etc. about gear. It's a fun hobby!

6. enocaster

enocaster Member

Considering my car just died, it looks like I'm done, too!

7. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

did you take the car to 11? and get that extra push over the hill?

You can never be done with pedals especially if you visit this forum daily heheh :D

8. meterman

meterman Member

That's hilarious man, your "others of possible interest" list is just as long as what you've got! :D

I used to be the same way, wanted to try it all, now I'm down to just what can fit on a couple pedalboards, one big one small. In fact I said I was done 6 months ago, then started reading here again and went on a binge ending up with some cool stuff....

Let's face it the only way to ever be "done" is to stop hanging here and reading about all the sweet new pedals coming out...

9. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Gold Supporting Member

Damn! Where are those car keys! I had'm just a second ago.

Guitars? Check, check. Amps? Check, check. Assorted cable bags? Check, check, check. 4-wheeled collapsible dollie? Check. Pedal Board? Ch Ch . . . . Damn! Lost my frickin board! SumBitch! <checking pockets>

Just kidding . . . . I'm sure that was traumatic and expensive. Glad you recovered!

10. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Hear, hear! My issue now is about changing needs. An album project for a friend six months ago evolved into a very active original band. My tone needs to adjust to the needs of someone else's songs. It's becoming tighter, punchier, less textural, less gainy, less improvised and more composed. And we gig a lot by my standards (couple of times a month), so I need to be able to switch quickly between a wide variety of sounds.

Where I'm at for the moment is hoping I can find a multi-fx that will gracefully handle my many delay/modulation needs, and gain pedals to cover the various gain textures. The less time I spend pedal-dancing, the more I spend playing!

Rather than perfecting my tones, I need to be able to get close, and quickly, during the arrangement phase, and play them easily during the rehearsal and live phase.

11. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

I'm pretty happy with my rig right now. All I'm really looking for is a good wah. Thinking about the Budwah. Don't need anything too expensive, but TB is a must... as is good tone. The sound samples I've heard are great.

Here's what I've acquired over the last 6 months.

Dirt - OCD, Brownie
    Vol - Boosta Grande, Visual Sound VV10 Volume Pedal, EBS TremoLo
    Pitch - MicroPOG
    Mod - MXR Flanger (117), Boss CE-2, VL MicroVibe, Line 6 RotoMachine
    Other- DigiDelay, Soul Preacher

12. cber1517

cber1517 Member

I am amazed at how much fun I'm having with just the following:

Monte Allums Opto mod Boss CS-3
    Lovepedal Super 6
    Lovepedal Eternity

I have the PB&J delay but I hardly ever use it now. This morning before work I plugged straight in with no pedals and had a gas just blowing some jazzy stuff purely clean. Go figure!

If I could afford a higher quality amp (I am happy with what I have BTW) I probably wouldn't have any pedals except a compressor.

:JAM

13. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

where's the fun
    in being done?[​IMG]

14. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Yeah, I'm almost done, too :)
    :rolleyes:
    yeah right.

15. Clumsy Fingers

Clumsy Fingers Member

I feel like I'm done.

At this point, I don't know anymore- I tried out a whole list on sought-after pedals a month ago, and frankly, in the cacophonous din that we were making, my current needs are met: 200 lbs, Pi Face, Eternity, BoR, and Digilog. The trem I was using (Dr Scientist) was very nice, but the TBIAC and Mighty Red didn't cause me any GAS pains at all.

Sure, I could GAS over the latest & greatest, but I'd have to agree that my playing is what needs attention now, not my gear.

Happy playing, everyone! :drink

16. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I will always be intrigued by new pedals and designs but I feel real good about my rig at this point. I have three vintage Fenders (Tele and two Strats) and an older Paul Reed Smith on the way, a Blackface Super Reverb and Boogie Mark IIc, and a Pedaltrain Pro full of a variety of OD's, modulators, and echos. And, believe it or not, I generally maintain a fairly structured practice schedule with our group and my own musical interests.
    I know I could practice more but my days of intense hours of study are long over and I now prefer to listen to alot of different things and just make sure I pick up my guitar every day for anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours, however the mood dictates. I burned out years ago from too much music and now feel like I have struck a nice balance between music and real life so overall I feel satisfied with where I have ended up after all these years.:phones

17. eric-d

eric-d Member

I'm almost there too.... Waiting on the EchoCzar, Landgraff Wah and a Mojo-Vibe.... Then an A/B Box and a Splitter - that's pretty much it for me on the "BIG Board". Although - I do want one of the New MATCHLESS Hot Boxes....

18. drod2045

drod2045 Member

haha its all good! it was quite a learning experience, lets just say that. and fast! :jo i went a little :crazyguybut im back to sanity. :AOK

19. meterman

meterman Member

Words to live by sir....:BEER

Although I couldn't help but notice you said you had a guitar on the way ;) :D

20. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I have followed a similar path - bought and sold a ton of pedals over the last 3-4 years, but I do feel like my pedalboard is very close to getting dialed in. I really like all the pedals I have on it, and I have a few OD's sitting around that I can substitute in when I am looking for a little change-up. I do still plan on checking out the Aqua VIbe and the Retro Sonic delay, but that is about it.

I am sure I will still pick up a pedal here and there if I see one worthy of interest in the Emporium or on eBay, just to check it out, but more for fun than really looking to replace something on my pedalboard that I don't like very much.