Man, I think my EHX "9" pedals might have got me another gig!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gennation, Apr 28, 2016.

1. gennation

gennation Member

Been jamming on and off with a great drummer in town but none of the groups we get together seem to stick. I ran into him at a show the other night and said he was jamming and writing some fusion/prog stuff with a guitarist and bassist and they were looking for an organ player to add into the mix. I mentioned that I can hook those sounds up on guitar with the EHX boxes and have been doing a few "keyboard" gigs with them exclusively. He said he run it by them and got back with me a couple of day later and said they'd be into checking it.

We got together last night and started by jamming a couple of vamp-type riffs they had. I demo'ed some the B9 organ sounds, the C9 flute sound, and the Key9 rhodes and percussive sounds and they really dug it. Having a better background in keyboard lines I was able to throw in a lot "non-guitar" sounding layered parts, so I could avoid the two-guitarist sound. I'm learning a bunch of Gregg Rollie stuff right now for a latin rock gig next week so I had some straight up rock organ lines to throw in that fit pretty good. Things were sounding good.

Then they pulled out this Metheny-ish type thing they were working on and the rhodes was a deadringer. And I went into a bit of Chick Corea type stuff. I used what I call my "Come Together" sound (based on Come Together's little Rhodes interlude) and it fit perfect. Things were sounding great...then they were trying to come up with "what comes next in the song" and I came up with the next section (a nice Phrygian/Lydian F#m7->Gmaj7#11 thing) for a solo section. This ended up being my solo section which I went to my "guitar" board and dialed up a thick Holdsworth sounds and went into the fusiony Lydian-lala-Land and they dug that. Then I started throwing out another section for a bass solo and we worked it together and tweaked it and the other guitarist and I molded it into something pretty sweet and they bassist was wailing over it! We spend about an hour on this one including me learning the main riff, we jamming on it for about a half hour and then another half hour coming up with the two new parts and working through the transitions/modulations. We all felt we had something.

Then of course we sat around for about an hour having beers and shooting the ****. Good night.

I'm looking for some new musical digs right now and I'm hoping this little venture sticks, all the guys are great players and the other guitar is a great singer too, I've heard a number of his CD's...plus they are all creative too and we got a along on a "let's try it" level which was awesome. But having those pedals got me in the door and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we got together again soon.

bluescube and Washburnmemphis like this.
  2. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

Very nice read. Thank you for the blow-by-blow. It is always good when that kind of connection happens.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  3. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Don't forget, it's not just the pedals, it's also your playing that got the gig!

4. gennation

gennation Member

I hope so but I don't think the two guitar band was what they had in mind.

But hey, I just got a group fb message from them and things are good. We are trying to nail down another rehearsal. I'm going to run with the ball on finding away quick and simple way of getting live recordings for reference purposes. Anyone have any ideas?

5. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

6. bluescube

bluescube Member

Now add the Mel9 for some Crimson....lol