Man is it a SELLER'S market

Whittlez

Yea, I've bought plenty of guitars in last few months but for the first time in YEARS my outflow (guitars sold) > guitars bought and people are paying some really good prices for guitars!

My (humble lol) market assessment for the last few years has been (mostly) BUYING opp. But now? SELLING OPP!!! That's just my opinion but ... wow.

I have sold 8 in the last 3 weeks and people are SNAPPIN' em up and paying up for them.

I call it like i see it. If you have guitars hangin' around that you've been thinking about selling, ... you may be surprised what you can get for it!

Guitarworks

Yes, it certainly is. It's pretty much buy low, sell high, sell now. I think the 12-year used guitar glut is completely gone.

TonePilot

Supporting Member
Yea, I've bought plenty of guitars in last few months but for the first time in YEARS my outflow (guitars sold) > guitars bought and people are paying some really good prices for guitars!

My (humble lol) market assessment for the last few years has been (mostly) BUYING opp. But now? SELLING OPP!!! That's just my opinion but ... wow.

I have sold 8 in the last 3 weeks and people are SNAPPIN' em up and paying up for them.

I call it like i see it. If you have guitars hangin' around that you've been thinking about selling, ... you may be surprised what you can get for it!
Hmm. I can’t sell my Epiphone DC Pro for $250.00 less than retail.

TattooedCarrot

Supporting Member
I'm seeing things I'd like to buy are way overpriced and sellers not budging. Likewise things I sell don't seem to be moving well. These are near the same things by the way, Les Pauls in particular. So maybe they're not actually moving at these prices?

Whittlez

Where is this promised land... Reverb or ?

I don't use Reverb for sales. I do local . Facebook Marketplace and some local facebook groups. I have used Craigslist on occasion but I prefer the Facebook groups.

I have been playing guitar for a looong time but only actively collecting for about 10 yrs and I have NEVER seen such a good market for selling.

Jazzandmore

Gold Supporting Member
I don't use Reverb for sales. I do local . Facebook Marketplace and some local facebook groups. I have used Craigslist on occasion but I prefer the Facebook groups.

I have been playing guitar for a looong time but only actively collecting for about 10 yrs and I have NEVER seen such a good market for selling.
Not sure what stuff you are selling though. Makes a big difference. You unloading Yaron Strats for $5k?

Never mind, you and I posted at the same time, so I see your list.

AndyBurns

Selling market is off the charts. I suspect a lot of touring, weekender, and wedding musicians have been turned into hobbyist with the whole coronvirus thing shutting down their livelihood. Hobbyists buy more gear. I also suspect the blow to brick and mortar retail also has something to do with it.

I bought a dang fender classic series 60's strat for $400 on craigslist and sold it for $750 in FOUR DAYS. Been doing small stuff like this since April to rake that grocery money in.

BigGreggoTX

Supporting Member
I've had two Fender amps up on the local CL for over a week and the only bites I'm getting are lowballers offering 50% of my asking price then disappearing when I counter. Luckily I'm not in a hurry to sell, so I can afford to leave them up for a while.

pepedede

I've had two Fender amps up on the local CL for over a week and the only bites I'm getting are lowballers offering 50% of my asking price then disappearing when I counter. Luckily I'm not in a hurry to sell, so I can afford to leave them up for a while.

Are they big fender amps?. I have seen the bigger fender amps taking a hit on the market, unless they are blackfaces.

Anything above around 40w is too much power and the weight is an issue for many people.

pewing33ny

I feel kind of the opposite for guitars and amps for the last couple months, haven't been able to move any of the bigger stuff locally in NYC. Everything is priced a little lower than most recently sold on Reverb and fairly good pics/description.

To be fair I don't put big stuff online because I don't trust buyer's remorse and me eating $200 of shipping charges. I want to, but getting screwed once is pretty catastrophic.

Pedals have been going at a good pace on Reverb though.

jasons7

Supporting Member

CL has almost become a waste of time. I only get scammers contacting me. I'll have to try FB marketplace. The market does look hot. At least asking prices reflect that.

BigGreggoTX

Supporting Member
Are they big fender amps?. I have seen the bigger fender amps taking a hit on the market, unless they are blackfaces.

Anything above around 40w is too much power and the weight is an issue for many people.
65 DRRI and BJ4. Both stock without mods, excellent condition, priced reasonably AFAIC. Not sure what the deal is.

JohnK24

Supporting Member
I’ve noticed the same, stupid asking prices from pedals, to basic Fender amps and Mexican Strats...to the point I’d rather buy new. I’m looking at Les Pauls or PRS singlecuts...prices several hundred over this point a year to eighteen months ago.

GTStandard

the seelling market is booming, but i think its for mid-range USA made guitars. Think Gibson and Fender sub 1500 - those dont stay up very long

Last edited: