Man....just when you have given up on new music...SURPRISE!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by webe123, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Hope the sunlight doesn't bother you too much coming out from beneath that rock you've been living under for the past 5 or 6 years. ;) j/k

Lobotomie likes this.
  2. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

The "music industry" hasn't been reliable since about 1994.

Not meant to be insulting... but, you need to do the work for yourself now. Napster put the music industry in it's place and for good reason. We were being fed sh!t for years... decades... even. When profit margins got tighter after Napster, they focused on the sure thing: mass marketed manufactured performers who could make them money by appealing to the tasteless masses.

Bandcamp.com is your new corner record store. Thank me later. ;)

Lobotomie likes this.
  3. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango Member

He’s good, but ‘new’ wasn’t my first thought. Not my thing, but he does it well, and I could enjoy a live show. And congrats on finding new music that makes you happy!

I’m in my 40s, and don’t seek out new music like I used to. In my teens, it was all Maximum RocknRoll magazine, and looking for new EPs when I got to travel to ‘the city’. These days, I pick up a little from friends, Youtube playlists, and Pandora etc. Oh, and compilations. Don’t get out to see live shows much these days, but I like to pick up CDs of whoever plays. Actually, I almost always do that (buy a CD of each band if available, maybe a couple shirts) since I feel like I’m giving more money directly to the artists. You gotta be pretty bad (or not have a CD) for me to not buy your music at a live show.

My latest ‘discovery’ was Mac Sabbath a few weeks ago. Don’t judge me! :anon

stevemc likes this.
  4. LarryBirdsFace

LarryBirdsFace Member

He's fantastic. He's got two live albums, I suggest you go listen/buy both of them. That's where he really shines.

5. monty

monty Member

Better late than never OP.
    I "discovered" him on one of those Clapton Crossroads DVDs.

6. Matlock

Matlock Member

Don't blame an industry for being out of touch. He has a signature Gibson and you still never heard of him.

TTHX likes this.
  7. webe123

webe123 Member

OH GIVE ME A BREAK! ( I say this to everyone on this baord that thinks this way) You act like EVERYONE should have the same musical experience as YOU and if they do not....something must be wrong with them....do me and everyone that hears your nonsense a favor and GROW UP! Not everyone is going to spend hours on the net searching for songs! Some people have a life! Do you even know what that is? That is when you have a job to go to and come home tired and don't have TIME to look at every nook and cranny on the net every night! I feel sorry for people like you that have a very narrow viewpoint! All you can see is people discovering new music that YOU already heard.... as flawed! How old are you...11?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  8. mge80

mge80 Member

I didn't have to look in "every nook and cranny" to find Gary Clark, Jr. I did it while working a job, too. So, don't blame your failings on others and come all unglued at THEM.

9. retro

retro Member

10. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I actually discovered GCJr. on the Justice League album. He covers Come Together, and it's just sick. So then I went and listened to all of his other stuff. Great player, amazing vibe. And to call him a "blues player" is selling him short. He's so much more.

11. Matlock

Matlock Member

Clouds!!!

TTHX likes this.
  12. JedimasterPaul

JedimasterPaul Supporting Member

Hey I agree Luke Cage has some great music. I'd heard of Gary Clark Jr but couldn't have IDed him in a lineup nor named any recordings of his.

That tune from the Luke Cage episode was so good I was on my phone googling to find out who it was right then and there.

Anyway, you aren't the only one out there who wasn't really familiar with his music. But now that we have heard of him, which of his records is the one to get first? Anyone?

thanks

13. panther_king

panther_king Supporting Member

This should probably be titled 'When you've given up on music, and discover something *new to you*'.

I mean, Gary Clark Jr has been around the block for awhile. I recently had the same kind of discovery myself with Devin Townsend, who's been around since the late 90's and has more than 20 albums to his name. So when I hear 'Kingdom' and go "Where has this been?", the better question was probably 'Where have I been', because that song was released on an album that came out 5 years ago.

I mean, it's a pretty different sentiment from 'I now have hope for the future, because of this'. 'I shouldn't have lost hope in the first place, but did because I had my head way up my own @ listening to the same tired old stuff I always do' is probably a better way to look at things (if a little too harshly self-deprecating).

14. TTHX

TTHX Member

Just some thoughts for those who find it might be too much effort to put on some or find new music. I'd highly suggest getting a subscription to Spotify or any other streaming service.
    For an extremely low fee you have access to an insane amount of music. You can download the music you like for offline play. You can simply choose what kind of genre of music you want to listen and it'll play you a randomized playlist based off your preferences. Once it learns what you like, it'll create up to EIGHT different playlists for you based off your music choices. OR you just simply choose something and let it play "radio" style where it'll play other random songs from that genre that are similar to the music you currently listen to. Seriously, it's not a lot of effort and once you start hitting the thumbs up button on radio playlists the app literally does the work for you. Another suggestion would be to connect with others that have Spotify at your work. Start a communal playlist with fellow workers and have people start adding songs they like to it.

Just like reading, learning to play the guitar or choosing to watch that sitcom on the good ol' tv, you have the option to sit down for 30 minutes a day and listen to music. You could just go on youtube and find a random dad rock blues band playlist and listen to it.

Or you know, you could keep yelling at the clouds.

Gibson Dog and 74vibrolux like this.
  15. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Hard to believe that someone is searching out new music, is a fairly active member here, and missed GCJr.

16. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hmm... I’m sorry, “new music”?

17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Also commercials....
    Please explain......
    Me, too....
    He HAS been around for awhile.....and I think he actually has TWO signature GIbson SG's....the first was TV Yellow and then they released a cherry red model....awesome looking guitars....
    [​IMG]

You don't have to spend hours looking for new music. I have the feeling that new music would have to knock the OP over the head for him to hear it. Does the OP watch Clapton's "Crossroads" Videos? Gary Clark Jr. has been, I think, on every late night talk show? Does the OP watch TV? What about music awards shows like the Grammies? That's a good way to hear new (to you) music. Subscribe to Rolling Stone magazine. Articles and reviews of new artists and new music by older artists. If you watch TV on cable there are many music channels up in the 800's that have every kind of music, including blues. The point? There's a way to hear new music if you are REALLY interesting in hearing some.....
    OP, I don't want to sound like I'm "only" piling on, so here is another even newer artist in the vein of Gary Clark Jr. that you might like! Cheers, man, and don't give up!

Gibson Dog likes this.
  18. GravityJim

GravityJim Member

Instead of the usual TGPBS about how “the industry” sucks and it’s hard to find new music, or the state of one another’s cred as Genuine Late-Middle-Aged Guitar Players based on exactly when you first heard Gary Clark Jr., how about we all say, “Wow, they are featuring a bunch of great blues players on Luke Cage! Good for them!”

Lobotomie and Pixies2005 like this.
  19. xzacx

xzacx Member

I think the OP's attitude towards new music in his post had something to do with the backlash. If you don't think there's anything worthwhile out there, it's not a big surprise that you've missed out on someone who's been popular for the last decade.

Lobotomie, Gibson Dog and 2HBStrat like this.
  20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

If you've stopped looking for new music that you might like, because you don't think there is any out there, the chance of actually finding any is significantly reduced.....

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Gibson Dog and xzacx like this.