Man, new speakers suck at first...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kingsxman, Sep 18, 2008.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up a 15" eminence "Legend" for my Lil Dawg amp on a whim. I currently am running a 15" older CTS speaker in there that sounded really really good. I figured the odds of a new speaker sounding better were small...but I got a good price on the speaker (new) so thought I'd give it a shot.

Tight, Bright and buzzy is the best way to describe this new speaker. none of the midrange and warmth that the CTS has. I'm going to hook the speaker up to my stereo, point the cab down (leaving a little room for the speaker to breath, throw some bean bags over the open back of the cab, blast some songs with good bass through it for a few days and see how it sounds later.

Sometimes you need these reminders to remember just how important it is for speakers to be broken in. Yuch. Like I said, I doubt it will beat my CTS anyway.

2. rooster

rooster Member

Don't knock that Legend too quickly. I'm running one of their Red Fangs in the top section of my 2x12, and when I first powered it up, I could only think "harsh and small." And, this was a used speaker that was somewhat broken in, that I got from the Emporium here on this site. However, every gig, it kept sounding better and better. About 3 months ago, it truly came into its own, and I wouldn't trade my cab (Red Fang and Weber G12H30-55 -- perfect mixture for Rock) for anything. It rules.

Personally, I never thought much of CTS, Oxford, or Utah. I always thought Jensens had them beat, and Celestions were a notch above all of them. However, I think Emi is doing good things, as is Weber (my faves).

Give it a chance, and play the crap out of it. As you may know, most speakers come from the factory loaded with crap, and you need to play it out to get rid of it.

rooster.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Give it a break! ...in that is! Bob

4. Reason

Reason Member

When we were evaluating speakers we put a bunch of Emi's and Celestions in a head to head shoot out. In one of our tests, we A/B'd a Green Back with a Private Jack (GB clone)- both brand new. The Celestion out of the box, blew the PJ out of the water.

We ended up putting our PJ in a 1x12 cab under our test bench. After putting alot of time on the Private Jack it has become one of our favorite speakers. It kinda surprised us. The PJ has twice the power handling, so perhaps it follows that break in was more curcial to that speaker.

On the other had, the Emi Governor and Wizzard, both rated at 75 watts, sounded dang good from the first note. And they just get better with time.

Good luck with your break in. You might consider removing the speaker from the cab. You'll get a ton of cancelation (will be quieter.) Go easy on the power too- you don't want to generate too much heat.

5. kingsxman

Very interesting...

Do you recommend just having the speaker sit, unmounted, on the floor or something and break in?

6. Reason

Reason Member

Sure. Removing it from the cab won't effect the break in, but it will aid in preserving your sanity.

If you're going to do this, set the speaker on its magnet. The floor would be ideal...no place for it to fall from. Remember use low power 25% or so. You can always give it more break in time, but if you over juice it and melt your voice coil...it's done.

Good luck, let us know how it changes.

7. kingsxman

Thanks. I'll try that this weekend. i've got it running through 5 cd's now at home in the cab.