Man! Second Time in a Month a Messenger slips through my fingers.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by StJimmy, Feb 26, 2008.

1. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

I always scour fleabay for Messenger guitars. I've wanted one for years but they're a rarity. Two have popped up on ebay in about the past month or so. Each time they are on there for just a short period of time, then BOOM...."This item is no longer available for sale." I ran across this one just a little while ago, sent the seller a quick question, and immediately went back to the auction and BOOM....it's already gone. Can't a brutha get a break?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-Messenger-Panther-Electric-Guitar-Mark-Farner-RARE_W0QQitemZ250219871496QQihZ015QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Eastwood is coming out with a Messenger copy in April 08, but it won't have the aluminum neck with tuning fork running through the body. Alas, it's not the same.

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/pdfs/em415.pdf

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

ron wood used one for the solo to "maggie may"? mark farner played them? i never heard of these guitars, and now that i have, it all makes sense. the solo to "maggie may" and the solo to "i'm your captain" ("closer to my home") have almost the exact same tone!

3. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

On Farners website, he talks about why he used a Messenger. Apparently, it was the only guitar he could afford where they'd sell it to him on the easy payment plan. $250 bucks total or something like that.

The alum-mag neck that resembled a tuning fork (& reportedly tuned to 440 hz) inside the body was an interesting feature, along with the built in fuzz.

I doubt the Eastwoods will sound anything like the original given the lack of the alum neck and most importantly, the non Dearmond pickups. But I don't think Farner was really much of a fan of those Dearmonds either.

It was kind of like Guild pickups in Velenos. They helped give the guitar a somewhat unique sound, but there were much better pickups available for the kind of music being picked on 'em.

4. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

5. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

Wow! I had no idea. I'm digging on that Hannah Montana signature model Messenger.