Man, Third Eye Blind's debut record was really underrated.

dsmc80

I'm not going to go so far as to call it a masterpiece or anything like that, but I really feel it was HUGELY slept on and never really comes up when "great albums from the 90s" get discussed.

SO much fun to jam along with.

****ing phenomenal album as was Out of the Vein. Jenkins is one heck of a good songwriter.

npappas

Disagreed with the OP statement. Think it is a masterpiece, and should be considered one of the staple albums of the 90s. A lot of that is due to what others've already said: the deep tracks are absolutely incredibly written.

I never heard the album, but I can't stand the song Semi-Charmed Life. To me, when songs like that came on the radio it signaled the end of the Grunge era, and rock music has never recovered. I find that sort of poppy-sounding alternative rock to be annoying.

I distinctly remember the local rock station (103.3 WKDF) suddenly becoming less awesome around the time Third Eye Blind, 311, Matchbox 20, etc. came around, and it wasn't long before the station became a country station. They stopped playing all the good rock music during that pre-country period.

For some reason there seemed to be a lot of bands with numbers in their names in the late 90s and early 2000s.

spakuloid

It was never underrated. It was a huge smash crossover hit at the time and the songs were all over the radio constantly. Cadogan is the secret sauce on those first records. HE is somewhat underrated by most people who think Jenkins is the big talent. That time period (late 90's) was a high point for rock guitar.

Keg8605

First guitar solo I learned in like 7th grade was the one on jumper. Lots of listening to them over the years. Such a killer album for sure.

alivegy

There was a time when “grunge became pop, which evolved into a short time where pop became “grunge”. So I understand the guilty pleasure aspect of it as that album was the sign that grunge was losing its dirt.

That said I think the song writing was fantastic and I like listening to that record on its production value alone. I think its one of the best sounding records, period. You can hear the results of over production and the onset of the loudness wars in their subsequent albums.

Coopster

It was never underrated. It was a huge smash crossover hit at the time and the songs were all over the radio constantly. Cadogan is the secret sauce on those first records. HE is somewhat underrated by most people who think Jenkins is the big talent. That time period (late 90's) was a high point for rock guitar.
Jenkins is just a big asshat.

247jamz

Listen to Kevin Codagan's Interview on the No Guitar is Safe podcast, talks a lot about the songs, tunings, the band, and a particular asshat.

HRM

Huh. Maybe it was just underrated by my particular crew of peeps and myself. Good to know I'm not alone.

mapleneck72

Silver Supporting Member
They put the best three songs at the end of the album.
Eric Valentine made a great sounding record.
I wasn't a big fan of 3eb at the time but I did see them play a secret show at the Paradise Lounge in SF under the name T*tt*e between the 1st and 2nd record.
I remember Kevin throwing his guitar across the stage to his tech when his tech didn't come out to get it.
Years later, it made a lot more sense after listening to his interview with Jude Gold and hearing about Stephan's nonsense.

jacklickson

There was always a rumour that a session guy was flown in to re-record the band members’ crappy guitar parts and that Jenkins et. al never actually played on the album. And if the rumour is true then they weren’t told.

BriSol

I never heard the album, but I can't stand the song Semi-Charmed Life. To me, when songs like that came on the radio it signaled the end of the Grunge era, and rock music has never recovered. I find that sort of poppy-sounding alternative rock to be annoying.

I distinctly remember the local rock station (103.3 WKDF) suddenly becoming less awesome around the time Third Eye Blind, 311, Matchbox 20, etc. came around, and it wasn't long before the station became a country station. They stopped playing all the good rock music during that pre-country period.

For some reason there seemed to be a lot of bands with numbers in their names in the late 90s and early 2000s.
I had a similar experience as a teen. That song, and some of Matchbox 20's early hits, along with endless radio play of acts like The Goo Goo Dolls, Hanson, Hootie and The Blowfish, etc., represented a popified made-for-radio/tv version of "alternative rock" that seemed quite different than the Nirvana or Soundgarden or Smashing Pumpkins stuff I was into at the time. 96-98 was a transition period into a more pop-rock zone I think.

It could be that some of these bands have B sides I'd respect a little more, but their ubiquitous pop hits were enough to turn me off from them forever basically. I was a teenager discovering metal, classic rock, prog, and other things. I didn't have time for that in my scheme.

Reactions: NSW

Top Bottom