Man this guy smokes!!!

sws1

How the hell can we hear the amp noise when he's speaking, but you don't hear any amp noise when he switches to the amp microphones? Some trickery/magic going on there.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
I embedded it for you:

And yeah, that's why Marshalls rock, classic tone all day (and night) long! :)
Great video, this guy rocks.

And Celestions 75's are way better than their reputation :)

bsuite

Silver Supporting Member
How the hell can we hear the amp noise when he's speaking, but you don't hear any amp noise when he switches to the amp microphones? Some trickery/magic going on there.
Sounds like he post edited the volume to match the guitar volume in the vid. Ever watch a youtube vid when someone is talking you can barely hear them so you crank it up & when they start to play it's really loud?

78deluxe

Sounds like he post edited the volume to match the guitar volume in the vid. Ever watch a youtube vid when someone is talking you can barely hear them so you crank it up & when they start to play it's really loud?

This.

Think about it if you have a sound source that is playing at literally 125+ dB and then you are trying to talk inbetween those takes using a microphone that is close to that source....how do you expect to hear the talking?

If you set the mic up so it isn't clipping at 125dB, talking is going to sound like a whisper. Therefore people do some post editing on the voice parts if they don't have a dedicated mic for the talking.

Or sometimes you get someone who ruins the whole thing by compressing the recording - so the amp has no dynamics but you can hear the person talk.

hotmod

This.

Think about it if you have a sound source that is playing at literally 125+ dB and then you are trying to talk inbetween those takes using a microphone that is close to that source....how do you expect to hear the talking?

If you set the mic up so it isn't clipping at 125dB, talking is going to sound like a whisper. Therefore people do some post editing on the voice parts if they don't have a dedicated mic for the talking.

Or sometimes you get someone who ruins the whole thing by compressing the recording - so the amp has no dynamics but you can hear the person talk.
I was thinking about that too since a Marshall at full blast is super loud to be n the same room with, let alone talk and be heard , but still whatever he did , the sound is awesome and his playing is incredible! I can't figure out what the guitar is though , it looks like a Gibson 175 or maybe Byrdland but I don't think it is a Gibson.

illinimax

Platinum Supporting Member
I was thinking about that too since a Marshall at full blast is super loud to be n the same room with, let alone talk and be heard , but still whatever he did , the sound is awesome and his playing is incredible! I can't figure out what the guitar is though , it looks like a Gibson 175 or maybe Byrdland but I don't think it is a Gibson.
Gibson ES135 ... great guitars

jkr

Silver Supporting Member
That is THE tone in my book. Hard to nail without a hollowbody and classic type head like that (sure you can come close, but to get that note purity with no fizz on the notes is a challenge). Open chords ring clear and so does everything else he plays.

effectsman

IIRC his name is Colin and he is a great player and I like his demo's of these amps.

He has a cool story about his 18 watt amp which is floating around the TGP archive somewhere. Maybe if he sees this thread he can pop in and tell it.

Trending Topics