Maneco?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gener, Aug 11, 2005.

1. gener

gener Member

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had spoken to or heard from Juan who builds the Maneco pedals. I've been waiting 3 months for a part (the bypass switch broke), and still haven't heard a word from him nor got the part in the mail.

Thanks all,
    Gene

2. duende

duende Member

I've yet to hear from him too. It's been quite a few months since he's returned any emails. A year or so ago he did a repair for me and it took forever... I truly believe he means well, but it's certainly can be difficult.

I would do yourself a favor and just put a new switch in.

3. gener

gener Member

do you think that's hard to do? i don't even know if the holes for the switches will fit with the us-made ones!

i've had to send it back once last year already, so i was hoping he would just send me a new switch (which he said he would do), but that was in May.

thanks for letting me know, glad to know i'm not the only one.

4. threm

threm Member

I`ve been mailing with Maneco throughout the last couple of years. Also the last few months and weeks due to a custom pedal he`s making for me.
    My impression is that he`s a busy man rather than being the careless type.
    I`ll make him aware of this thread.

He has a new email adress (though I believe he still reads the old one);
    maneco@gmail.com

5. fatback

fatback Member

Any word on a U.S. distributer?

6. threm

threm Member

7. gener

gener Member

thanks for letting him know, maybe i'll shoot him an e-mail as well.

i spent so much $$$ on mine (custom as well), it's been frustrating since i haven't been able to use it for any trips in the last few months. :(

8. gener

gener Member

the prices on that website seem a bit startling to me...

9. gener

gener Member

coincidentally (or not), one day after posting this, he got back to me and is sending me a switch and spring.

it's never too late (though late enough that the maneco has been replaced with a different looper). maybe i can work it back into the rig...

thanks!
    gene

10. threm

threm Member

That`s good to hear, Gene. I hope the Maneco will find its way back into your setup. They have a sound of their own, kind of warm and analog sounding but not really lofi in the bad sense of the word.
    I`m expecting a custom Maneco box called Eko Station one of these days.
    Hopefully I`ll get hold hold of a camera and post a picture of it.

11. gener

gener Member

that's what i have...he and i drew it up together (i requested...he built) back in summer 2004.

it's a great pedal, apart from the few issues it came with (but has since been resolved)...i'd make sure the blend knob doesn't take away from dry signal as you turn up the wet signal...

gene

12. threm

threm Member

That`s kind of weird cause I suggested the name when we first started talking about it back in July 04. ;)

I have a couple of other Manecoloopers and regarding the dry/wet balance I have used a booster after the looper to boost up the signal a little to get the dry signal back to unity level.

13. gener

gener Member

so, another request for juan/maneco sightings or hearings. i haven't heard from him since mid-august about the part that i need sent to me, which he was supposed to send back in may.

it's been very irritating cause since then i've had to buy separate loopers and delays - this Maneco pedal was supposed to take care of it in one swoop.

14. justinmc

justinmc Member

Have you tried e-mailing him at manecolooper@darksites.com?

He is fixing a nanosampler of mine that had some issues when I first received it in late July. Slow yes, but he has been responsive to e-mails.

15. drolling

drolling Member

Hmmm, I find myself simultaneously fascinated and repelled by threads like this. Always looking for alternative looping systems myself and still waiting for upgrades to my Electrix Repeater while searching for an EDPP. Gene, may I ask what kind of looper you've replaced the Maneco with?

thanks,
    dave

16. gener

gener Member

hi, i ended up getting a lofi loop junky and a deluxe memory man to complement a maxon ad-80 and echoplex (i'm a delay whore).

the junky can't do reverse, but it's small, reliable, and sounds great (if you're into brick-wall filtering/broken record-sounding loops...definitely not for pristine sounds). it's really easy for on-the-fly looping, but it definitely doesn't have the capacity of other loopers out there.

i really like the maneco with the filters, reverse, etc. it adds some noise to the signal (the filter bleeds a little when bypassed, etc.), but i had been using for live stuff and was working out great.

i've e-mailed him at both addresses. hopefully i'll hear back from him soon.

17. drolling

drolling Member

Thanks Gene. I'm a bit of a delayho' myself, loops being nothing more than really long echoes, when you get right down to it.

Haven't had the pleasure of using the Vex, but I did get a MemoryMan as soon as they were reissued some years back. I've got mine mounted on a sawed-off mic stand so I can manipulate the feedback into a Boomerang. The end results are definitely 'lo-fi', in the best possible sense of the word.

If you're diggin the Deluxe MM, you'd probably love the Diamond Memory Lane. It's got an expression pedal input to control the repeats, so you can send it into self-oscillation without taking your hands off the guitar. Another good reason to leave it on the floor is the tap tempo function, something you don't often see on an analog delay. Modulation's nice too, altho' nothing nearly so sick & twisted as the MemoryMan 'chorus/vibrato' function.

18. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Hello,

The Gear Shop at www.formusiciansonly.com is indeed representing Manecoloopers, particularly for U.S. customers. My hope is to be able to do the back and forth with Maneco myself so I have a stock of excellent, issue-free loopers ready to go for customers - no waiting, no glitches. I'm also helping Maneco write instruction manuals, since some of the features aren't always self-explanatory. I do currently have 3 units that I need to test and familiarize myself with (one of them is already spoken for).

I think his stuff is brilliant. It definitely fills a distinct looper niche - sort like a no man's land between a Lo-Fi Loop Junky (with a ton more features) and a Boomerang. But these things are EXTREMELY complex, and he's doing it pretty much all by himself, boutique-style. It's not like trying to make another fuzz pedal, or a boost, or yet another TS clone. So I'm hoping I can bear the brunt of some of the bugs getting worked out to save the individual customers from going through it. For hardcore looper fans - hang in there, it'll be worth the wait.