Manifesto: Crystal Clean Chorus (C3)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PhuzzphayzZ, Mar 30, 2020.

1. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

I DECLARE Crystal Clean Chorus (C3)!

Here are my Demands. If they are not met, the dog gets it!

CRYSTAL CLEAN CHORUS (C3)

This pedal does not exist.

1) This pedal must do something NICE simply by being in your SignalChain, turned 'Off'. It must be of the utmost transparency- think TC SCF+, when turned 'On'. VOLUME, or LEVEL, must be at optimum, otherwise there should be either a knob or dip to adjust for this. VOLUME/LEVEL is Nice, but no Chorus pedal I have has one, or needs one. This is just mentioned off-the-bat as a pet peeve to be avoided at all costs (again, not that Chorus pedals have historically been the worst offenders in this category).

2) BLEND: I don't know who has the cleanest Blend knob- TC(SCF+), Analogman, Cmatmods, DOD,... but this one is going to have to be the best, with a KILLER Vibrato at '10' (meaning, I'd love Perfection at '0'). This may be the most important feature, so it has to be Perfect.

3) RATE/SPEED: I leave the Slow speed to your judgment, but, we will need Fast speeds at least as fast as, say, a BOSS GT-6 can deliver (enough to bring out 4ths), but, I would rather you just do the right thing and give me RingMod speeds such as the Moog. Perhaps you will need a multi-stage Rate/Speed clicker to achieve this.

4) DEPTH: has to be Mild enough for pure C3 (Crystal Clean Chorus), but Extreme enough to generate the Harmonizing features of the RATE/SPEED, all the way to the RingMod textures. Depth has never really been an issue with any Chorus I've heard under discussion.

OH, SORRY, DIDN'T I MENTION THAT THIS IS BY DEFAULT A DUAL-CHORUS? OH, SORRY, YES, THIS IS A BI-CHORUS, SOOOOO...

before we discuss any TONE control, let's talk about the CROSSOVER Dial.

5) CROSSOVER FREQ.: we will need this to set the CrossOver between the Hi and the Lo. FrequencyRange I leave up to you.

6) 2nd RATE & DEPTH: whoops, forgot!

7) TONE: OK, so, either we can have one Chorus be tuned already Lo, and one Hi, or, as we strive for Transparency, we can simply allow the CrossOver to ACT as the Tone control, so that the User's act of properly setting the Lo and Hi Speeds will naturally yield a warmer/darker or higher/lighter Tone. Did I understand that correctly?,...lol!

8) MANUAL pre-DELAY: here is where we NEED to be Creative. Delay Range could be something like .2ms-128ms, with maybe Switches for four different Ranges?,... or just one knob? BUT, HOW ABOUT A SEND/RETURN LOOP stuck in here (think EQD 'SeaMachine')? Perhaps a THIRD Delay line,... Feedback,... Vibrato,...?

9) HEADROOM-GAIN-VOLTAGE SWITCHING: here we could either add 'Gain' (what kind? I dunno), or have a 9-12-15-18V Switch, to either 'open up' or 'clamp down' on the unit's Headroom, so that it can mimic the thick and syrupy 80's Japanese Chorus units with that desirable LowHeadroom.

10) BUFFER/ TRUE-BYPASS: I don't know if Chorus units benefit this way or that way as much as some other types of FX, but, if it comes to that, we will need a Switch or Dip.

11) TRUE STEREO: 2 In; 2 Out,... perhaps we could encourage a secondary usage for the extra jacks if the User is playing in Mono mode?

12) TAP TEMPO: yea yea,... so boring... sure, with Divisions,... but, honestly, I'm not a fan,... there a many more important Features to have to consider before a User's laziness...

:hide2:hide:knitting

13) OK, so, what have we left out? A 4-CableRouting to separate the two Chorus FX?,... along WITH a Send/Return?

14) EXPRESSION PEDAL?

Really? For Chorus? SURE, for you (ME!), anything!

15) Figure out a way to keep people from mentioning WarpedVinyl...:munch

:noevil

:nuts:huh:crazy:bonk

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

This is a lot to ask of an effect that’s going to get turned on for one song !!!

MIM#1, Sidmore, Tom Von Kramm and 2 others like this.
  3. Compact Pedal

Compact Pedal Member

I love chorus, and routinely make use of the effect in more than one song. This will not keep me from acknowledging the perfect witty retort.

4. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I think the only way to achieve that is to have two speakers set a few metres apart, and fit one of them to a variable speed rotating turntable.

5. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I think it’s really difficult to have “warm” chorus without it sounding muddy, and also have chorus sound that’s “hi-if” without it getting too brittle. It’s also easy to overdo the gain and create too much signal overdrive. It’s tricky.

My favorite is the MXR Micro, and an original JC-120 amp.

6. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

Demands like these are meaningless without a show of force.

7. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

HR14325: The Chorus Confiscation Bill

Oh, it's happening!!!

8. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Closest thing to what you are wanting in a pedal platform is the Free the Tone Tri Avatar.

Good luck getting everything you want, the FTT is the closest you will find IMO.