Manley Stereo Variable MU mastering version

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Gene, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Gene

Gene Member

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

My mastering engineer uses one, he barely taps the mix with it. Sometimes he doesn't compress at all, he just runs the audio through it because it sounds so good.

Have you used it for tracking?

P.S. - he said he prefers it to a Fairchild 670, which he also has. He feels the Manley behaves exactly in the same way as the Fairchild, the only difference being that the Manley's output is cleaner. I've never made the comparison personally, just reporting his take on it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  3. Gene

Gene Member

I just got it so I haven't tracked with it. When I mixed my last album, the engineer ran my guitar through it to compress.

I am using it as a limiter to master my CD. Barely touch the signal at all.

4. rah3

rah3 Member

I used to use a Manley Voxbox in my guitar rig. It was just too perverted to keep doing. The looks I would get from those that knew was just too funny.
    Manley is a great company. I met Hutch years ago when he was the chief engineer at Electric Lady Studios. Hutch designed the Massive Passive unit, which is also a great unit. I built and installed the Ausberger Mains in studio A of Electric Lady. That was quite a trip!!!

-RAH3

5. Gene

Gene Member

Very cool. I am eyeing their Mastering tube EQ unit next...
    Still getting around all the sounds of the variable mu. Any advice on what the best setting might be for a jazz quartet CD master?

Just from listening, I can tell this unit is slower than Avalon and DBX units. Even at fast settings, it still is very smooth.

6. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

It's a very nice piece, congrats.

7. elambo

elambo Member

It pushes and pulls audio like a 670 (which I've heard before), but it doesn't spit out the same audio, which is what you've said. Fortunately for 670 owners, it's that output that makes the 670 such a lusted-after piece.

I really, REALLY like the mojo of a Vari-Mu. Great glue.

8. Gene

Gene Member

I made 10 takes on the master. Can't get a bad sound out of Vari-mu. Tough to choose which setting I like the best.

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

One of my favorite pieces of gear, hands down. Congrats!

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I know that a lot of people agree with that, and if I ever shelled out the bucks for a 670 I'd probably be saying the same thing.

I find it interesting that he owns both and really feels they sound identical, just that the Manley is slightly cleaner. Knowing him, "slightly" means to him what "microscopic" to means to anyone else.

But I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing, because I don't know.