Manny's NYC Closing

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by soldersucker, Feb 21, 2009.

1. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Just got back from Manhattan today and i stopped in at Rudy's,Sam Ash and Manny's on 48th while the wifey shopped away.They told me they are closing in mid May.Another victim of the times bummer.
    Any stories to share?

2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

One of the first stores I ever went to in NYC back in 1979. I will always remember the feeling being a 12 year old kid and walking up that ramp under the awning into the store knowing that my idols like Page and Hendrix walked the same path into the store. I also remember buying a Korg Triple DDL and Korg Multi-effects rack unit, haivng them box them up and put a handle on the box so I could tote it around NYC all day and on the train ride home to Philly. The last few times I was there, the best part of the store was the gallery of signed pics on the walls and the drum section upstairs. Most of the other stuff was generic and bland.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Unfortunately no...I always wanted to visit that music store, and now it looks like I never will. It's a shame. In the musical world, that store had some heavy history!

4. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

The last time I went to NYC, about 3 yrs ago, I made a point to go to Manny's... I was thinking Hendrix and those guys too, but also "This is where Johnny Ramone bought his first Mosrite"...

5. Big Boss Man

Big Boss Man Member

That sucks. I have a feeling there will be more stores and gear manufacturers going under due to the collapsing economy.

6. MSS

MSS Member

That is a bummer! Also the place that David Gilmour bought his infamous black strat in 1970. Ah well, you win some and you lose some!

7. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

Wow! I worked in the guitar department there for years in the 90's. It was a great place at the time. I often get clients in for repairs who look at me and say "you sold me this 10 years ago!" So many memories.

8. Sub City

Sub City Member

They closed down a few years ago and then re-opened. Now it looks final. Pretty soon it will be nothing but Sam Ash & Guitar Center!

9. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Doesn't Sam Ash own Manny's? That's what I always hear....for what it's worth.

10. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Exactly what the guy at Manny's told me it's a two horse town now.I was expecting more of a vibe that wasn't there at all.I think they could have marketed thier history a bit better. **** i've got more vintage gear in my basement than they had.:crazy on display.
    Rudy's was ok but git's were behind a glass display case it's not the Gugenhiem people.Found NYC to be a great city,very tightly controlled security wise but them's the times i guess.

11. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Supporting Member

Yup, they do...

Now, if they do close, it would be cool if they auction off all of the photos...

12. guitarstan

guitarstan Member

tip of the ice burg my friends

the ship is just beginning to list

13. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

When I lived in Manhattan in the early 80's 48th street was incredible. Way more than just Mannys, Sam Ash, and Rudys. You could spend a few hours checking everything out. It seemed to dwindle down quite a bit when I visited last year. Quite a difference, then and now, due to Internet and GC mostly. Things changed a lot before the recent economic issues,

I remember 48th street is where you would see gear you could not find in your hometown. I saw my first ENGL there and thought, when the heck is that. The internet changed all that, even though it wasn't in your hands.

In any case it is sad to hear they are closing.

14. onemind

onemind Member

Once Sam Ash bought Manny's it lost its Mojo...still sad though.

15. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Manny's isn't the first casualty in this ugly recession, and it's far from the last. Everytime I go into my local GC, there are more employees than customers on the floor. How much longer can they afford to keep the receipt checker at the door? I've always hated being treated like a potential criminal at that place.

16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Wow...The times, they are a changin...

17. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

Yep. Manny's died years ago.:cry:

-db

18. lhallam

lhallam Member

Wow an icon going down the tubes.

I've still got gear I bought there.

Truth be told, I did not like the way I was treated in any of those stores on 48th street.

19. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Thinking back, I bought my .50 Boogie there in '87 and my ES-175 there in '88 or '89

20. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

No F'n way...that can't happen!!!

So sad. Can't imagine that place could go without some well-off rocker wanting to keep it alive.

Where's Paul Allen when you need him? MAybe a museum???

Although, I would have thought the same thing about Electric Ladyland..........................