1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Mantra Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RolloTomassi, May 20, 2011.

1. RolloTomassi

RolloTomassi Member

Blackout Effectors Mantra Overdrive looks really interesting, how much gain is on tap? Is it more high gain or low gain od?

2. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

it's got PLENTY of gain on tap -- i REALLY liked that one when i demoed it. the higger-gained stuff really sounded great to me - and it does not have the tube screema mid hump.

fantastic sounding pedal!

3. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

There's so much gain on tap I asked Kyle got mod it for low gain (which is why I wanted it). Low-gain mod is $20 when you buy direct, $30 if you buy elsewhere and ship it back to BE. The mod is a toggle that goes from stock to low-gain.

Stock it's a rock monster (I just used it for some ringing Pete Townshend circa '75 powerhords but with a little Billy Gibbons grind on a track), but it was more than I needed and I really wanted the ultra dynamic touch sensitivity it offers WITHOUT having to play with my vol. knob. Oh, yeah: Stock, it cleans up real nicely w/ the vol. knob, but I'm in a three piece and don't have time/ability to work the knob and do everything else.

I almost always have it on when I play around the house and the EQ is awesome; you can crank the treble and it never gets shrill. -E

4. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

This.

And this, if you want.

5. RolloTomassi

RolloTomassi Member

:p

I'm thinking:

Fatboost + Mantra
    Rob Keeley modded BD-2 + Mantra
    AND
    Mantra + Musket fuzz

I'm so glad you told me that! Thanks

6. pedrozepelim

pedrozepelim Member

You don´t see them much here in the TGP pedalboards...

7. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

It's on mine ... :dunno -E

8. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Got a Mantra on my pedalboard too (black on black, next to the Dual Fuzz).

Love the Mantra! I'd recommend getting the low gain mod as well. Stock is does high gain stuff beautifully (and cleans up nice with the volume knob), and the low gain setting is great for stacking after fuzz/distortion (where lowing volume input to affect the Mantra is not an option).

[​IMG]

The Mantra is right ^there^

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  9. eric10

eric10 Member

Another fan of the mantra over here.
    I have the pedal stock, it is really fat sounding even on the lowest gain settings.
    Even made my tele sound big!
    Also it's super touch sensitive

10. BigAl

BigAl Supporting Member

Have wanted to pick up a Mantra for some time (sounds great in the variety of demos out there). Was not aware about the low-gain mod and I think that seals the deal on me getting one of these. Really dig the black on black version but there are none on the horizon according to the BE guys.

11. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Do it! :)

12. sutherland

sutherland Member

At its lowest settings, the Mantra reminds me of a wound up tweed...when dimed, its sort of like Weezer's blue album in a box or like a non-master volume Marshall fed with some fuzz.

There is quite a bit of gain, but its a raw and open. Not a wealth of compression to hide behind, great note separation and although its rough around the edges, it can get really soulful in an honest sorta way.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  13. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

I agree. I listed it on the "most un-loved OD's here at TGP" thread. Plenty of gain (and I LOVE gain!), great-looking, well-built, fantastic price. What's not to love?

14. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

It's true, the Mantra doesn't seem to get much mention here on TGP.

Nice to see some other Mantra fans coming out of the TGP woodwork!

15. sutherland

sutherland Member

It's definitely one of the most "un-loved" on TGP...but I'd take that as honor in a sea of boring, typical "dumble-in-a-box" garden variety overdrives.

16. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Well said!

17. Slow Revolution

Slow Revolution Member

I just got one. Think it's pretty awesome. Nice and full. Time will tell if it stays. I'm more of a fuzz guy.

18. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

I made a demo of the Mantra with the low gain mod, you can see it here (note that I demo'd all apects of the pedal, and the low gain mod is used in the second half of the video):

http://youtu.be/hF-sCmSY_JY

19. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Wow! How hot are your PUPs, CC? Your Mantra is a lot gainier than mine in low-gain mode (and seemed to be gainier stock, which I wouldn't've thought possible). In low gain, I get a great Stones-y kinda dirt at 2 o'clock, then I'd say I hit full on medium gain around 3 o'clock. I'm using an ASAT Special, and those pups have a lot of output. Regardless, thanks for getting that up; hopefully it helps some peeps. -E

20. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

It's true, I'm using a tele bridge loaded with hotrails. It would be a whole lot different if I were using single coils.