Many Fighter Jets at our local airport....Is trouble brewing?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Springfieldscooter, Jan 3, 2018.

1. joeshmoe69

joeshmoe69 Member

I was in the USAF during desert shield build up.

We had airlifters at our base c130's & c141's, after a couple days in
    all the planes were gone, usually never happens.

I watched the news that day and a reporter was standing outside the base and you could
    see the flightline, the reporter said McChord AFB was not involved because there were no
    planes?????

Were do you think they all went???

Saudi maby??

Jimmy

donnievaz and 84superchamp like this.
  2. rog951

rog951 Member

Did some work down at Norfolk and Hampton Roads and got to see some of the big Navy ships up close. Awesome in the true sense of the word!

shane88, fretless and mattball826 like this.
  3. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

should I hold off vacuuming the living room ?

sprag, shane88, time2kill and 4 others like this.
  4. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I’m not claiming to be an expert, but I did grow up with an Air Force pilot dad, and my nephew is one now. One thing I know is that pilots have to fly, whether they have specific operations or not. It’s what they do. They need to maintain a certain number of hours in the air. And it goes to all the ground support as well. They fly just to fly, it’s how they remain ready. In case they’re needed somewhere like, say Korea.

But it’s an ongoing thing, I don’t know that they have to step it up when some crisis is looming. But whatever they do in a situation like that, again, this thread is about activity at a civilian airport and why specifically they might be landing and taking off there.

My nephew went through a lot of training in various aircraft on his way to being sent to flying missions. And when he changed the kind of plane he flew, went through that again. I know he flew all around the region where he was, going from base to base. I don’t remember any mention, but he may have landed at civilian bases on occasion as well.

BTW he flies one of those big in-air refueling tankers, the existence of which further brings into question the idea that a local airport would be needed in any kind of long range strategic operation.

R3deemed, TommyGuitar, scotth and 2 others like this.
  5. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Yes they are!

I was working with EE's on some things there and we'd go to NN Ship docks and see the builds of the Reagan and other Nimitz class carriers. Big ships. Was also there when they had the Enterprise in for reactor swap. Incredible how they work those monsters.

People in general really have no sense of what goes into those, much less the aircraft and all other things with those beasts. Some that toured older carriers or battleships have no idea.....

This is a sketch of what the new Enterprise will be like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  6. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

I remember waiting on a flight at CRW shortly after 9/11 and watching Air Force 1 (Air Force 0? no president/VP on board) doing touch and go practice, over and over and over. I reckon they were prepping for evacuating the "important" people to the Greenbrier.

7. drewl

drewl Member

I used to work across from an Air Force base.
    man, when they would practice certain maneuvers like "touch and go" where they land, taxi and take off without stopping it was LOUD!

8. drewl

drewl Member

Battle Los Angeles.

Scott941 likes this.
  9. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Slightly off topic....
    Google up Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters, and remember ...G. G for Germany....
    The right stuff, baby, the right stuff, watch my trail...

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

We fight that every day, on the 405 and the 101 and the all the others. Bring it on!

A-Bone, Scott941 and fretless like this.
  11. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Silver Supporting Member

I read that the way to tell when something is brewing is to check the Pentagon parking on a Saturday night. I used to live right around the corner and, surprisingly, you can drive around that parking lot and even use it to make U-turns or bypass traffic on nearby surface streets. So it's not hard to take a look and see if the place is full after hours.

scotth likes this.
  12. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

Last February we were at the dinner table and suddenly there was a MASSIVE explosion. I've never heard anything like that in my life - not that loud. I ran outside and the reverberation of the blast was still trailing off. I heard a distant jet engine, and it didn't sound like a passenger jet. Turns out that some idiot had flown into Palm Beach airspace where Trump was at Mira Lago. They scrambled 2 F-15s from Homestead AFB. Those suckers had to kick into afterburner to get to Palm Beach. They went right over my house and caused a sonic boom. O M G

Hey Op - I wouldn't be concerned. If it were a truly serious situation, you wouldn't have seen the planes. This was most likely normal training. Possibly testing the flight controllers' handling of military aircraft and procedures. Who knows?

joethepainter likes this.
  13. Rick Lee

There are no winners in that battle. Well, maybe the motorcycles.

14. mattball826

mattball826 Member

It's all underground parking for VIPS

15. Rick Lee

Yes, I know. But they don't go there either when the rest of the place is empty. They have quite a food court and shopping mall in there, but I don't know if they work odd hours.

16. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Similar experience. In early 2000's I was at work and walked outside when I heard a roar coming from above. I thought a jet was crashing. I then saw a fighter jet doing these crazy maneuvers overhead. I'd never seen a jet in I guess combat like action. It was banking and changing directions rapidly like it was frantically chasing and circling something. I read the next day a private plane had flown into the restricted flight area when the President was in town for some reason. It was like watching a video game the maneuvers were so radical. Loud as heck too.

17. joethepainter

joethepainter It's Life, but not as we know it Silver Supporting Member

Dude, no worries! You just had the gutter guards installed, right?:aok

18. Flaming Yawn

Flaming Yawn Member

I lived in Va Beach in the Salem area, so not too far from Oceana. I also lived about 5 miles from Charleston AFB, which was a C5/C17 base. The fighter jets were noisier, especially at night.

fretless likes this.
  19. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

I'm proud of y'all. Not long ago, this thread would've been locked by now.

R3deemed likes this.
  20. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

Maybe he Navy is moving a lot of aircraft out until the snow event that is coming to the East Coast, is over?

A-Bone, outlawten5 and CowTipton like this.