Many years later, what are the current thoughts on Brian Moore guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skhan007, Jan 8, 2020.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I remember these from the 90's and early 00's and thought they were so incredibly cool and modern. I remember mustering up the money to order one and went through my local guitar center back in the early 2000's. I even spoke to the local area rep, who was super cool. I was going to order one with the super cool (at the time, mind you) Roland 13-pin set up, piezo, etc. Well, after 6 months and no word, GC refunded my deposit. I think the company just stopped production.

I don't know why these guitars didn't take off? Looking at modern offerings today, I see Suhr, Anderson, and likely other brands fitting into this modern territory, but barely any acknowledgment or mention of Brian Moore guitars. I'd still like to own one, someday. I remember the MC1 had a paper thin neck and was made of graphite. Not sure what kind of tone you'd get out of a graphite guitar, as I never got to plug it in. Plus, way pricey. The C90 looked insanely cool and that would be the one I'd find most interesting.

I did a search on TGP and not much came up. It's clear these were super nice, USA built guitars, that didn't seem to gain traction and have very low resale value, for some reason.

Any experience, thoughts, or comments on these guitars? Curious to know if TGP folks have owned one at some point. Post pics if you've got 'em!!

2. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I recall people being put off by the unconventional looks. I think the 100% side-to-side radiused 'potato chip' bodies were a bit much for most folks.

[​IMG]

3. beezer

beezer Member

I forgot they existed , but i remember they were kind of cool .

Dale likes this.
  4. trap

trap Supporting Member

Went the way of the Parker Fly. Sounds good on paper, innovative, but doesn’t sound too good.

Gig Young likes this.
  5. odourboy

odourboy Member

I have an i9.13. Bought primarily for synth. Didn't love the stock PUPs that much so I changed them all out. Ended up with quite a lovely and easy playing guitar now. But alas, they never really caught on and have all but disappeared. The market for them has collapsed. Probably lost 2/3rds of it's value, IF you can even find a buyer.

Lucidology likes this.
  6. Grim1

Grim1 Member

I have one, can’t tell you which one, it’s a strat style 13 pin and piezo but made in Indonesia I think. Definitely like it. Great guitar with lot of features. Just not playing it much these days.

7. skhan007

One that you owned/played had bad tone? Can you elaborate? I'm curious.

I suppose that could mean it's a good bargain to buy one currently! I've been looking at prices of the C90 and they're around $1500-ish.

Dale likes this.
  8. skhan007

bumping to see if there's any more input about these guitars.

9. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Silver Supporting Member

I think they were nice but when they started making the cheaper models it killed people wanting the has models Made here. Plus they were very high priced for the time.

Lucidology likes this.
  10. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

I used to have a DC-1 which was the singlecut model and actually thought was really good considering the price I got it for used. I din't find it exceptional or a keeper, so I ended up selling after a year of playing it. I remember that it was comfortable to play, with great upper fret access and decent sounding SD pickups (can't remember which models exactly). If you can get one at a great price used I'd say it's worth checking out.

Lucidology likes this.
  11. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

The USA models are extremely well constructed guitars with wafer-thin necks and usually bodies. It may or may not be your jam. For me, they can have a bit of a toy-like feel to them.

Lucidology and candid_x like this.
  12. scott944

scott944 Member

I found 2 Brian Moores in a pawn shop a few years ago, each priced under $500. Thought I'd found one of those rare, magic pawn shop moments where you find something cool that they don't know about. Both turned out to be imports, which I didn't know existed, until then. On to the next...

Bobbybigbucks and Texsunburst59 like this.
  13. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    I remember trying some in the early '90s when I was just starting out and liking them a lot, although they were way too expensive for young me at the time, and plus I was dreaming of Soloists and JEMs/UVs, etc. Would be fascinating to play one again after the journey I've been on since then......

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  14. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

I used to own a MC1 and a C55P.13 (i think that is the correct model number).

Both USA models, exceptionally well built, with lots of features and innovative little tweaks: straight pull, EBMM style headstock, angled side jack, great components.

The MC1 had a HSH configuration with a Wilkinson tremolo, SD pickups, typical super Strat wiring, exceptional playability but a thin, weak amplified tone. Basically it worked okay as a neutral palette for fx tones.

The C55 was instead much more interesting: bolt on, lighweight mahigany body with a spalted maple top, maple/rw neck, 2H config with a SD Jazz/JB combo, Wilkinson tremolo bridge with piezo, stereo blendable output and a Roland 13-pin output.
    Very playable, much fuller electric tone, very flexible.

it didn’t work for me for the same reason the Parker Fly didn’t, ie a noticeable structural dead spot around the 12th fret area, most prominently on the G string. Very typical in many guitars with a low mass neck joint.

skhan007 and MkIII Renegade like this.
  15. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    Interesting, I haven't heard anyone discuss that before. I was just a teenager when I played one and had little time on one at low volume in a guitar store, although I'm a much more critical judge these days and would probably pick this up.

16. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

A studio owner I worked for had one and I had the same impression. Very low action, but the sound was pretty blah. It's worked for him though as he played through Line 6 amps and used tons of ethereal effects.

17. skhan007

Ok, thanks for this info. I was curious about tone and in spite of great modern features, it sounds like the USA model (c90, c55) might be lacking in tone. I’m seeing some of these guitars at pretty reasonable used pricing (someone above posted these guitars don’t hold their value), but perhaps it’s a function of lacking good tone in these models?

18. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Well, my associate thought it had good tone, and given his style and method, it worked very well. I was playing Music Man guitars through a tube amp at the time, which he tried while I was trying his. He was very impressed while I was not. But the workmanship on his was meticulous. He was talking about buying a second one. It's subjective.

skhan007 likes this.
  19. Chops

Chops Gold Supporting Member

I wanted one back when they were around but never needed up with one. Same thing with the Parker Fly. Too many guitars and so little time (and money).

20. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

I remember these guitars as well. I liked their single cut Les Paul version. They were a bit ahead of their time in many ways.