Manzanera's guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teakwoodbetz, May 13, 2005.

1. teakwoodbetz

teakwoodbetz Guest

Does anyone know what kind of guitars (and amps, and all that) he was playing with Roxy Music on Avalon ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. pcutt

pcutt Member

Oh, yeah! This is one of my favorite albums.

I still remember it like it was yesterday. I blew out of Florida in September since I was tired of the heat and humdity to go visit my sister in Switzerland where the air was cool and dry. I flew in and out of Amsterdam, and on the way out I stayed overnight in a small seaside tourist town in a beautiful little Bauhaus hotel. In the morning at breakfast Avalon was playing inside my head. As I was listening to my brain do its thing the lovely blonde owner got up, walked across the room in her leather jeans, and put on the album! Ahhhh, synchronicity!

So, yes, I'd be very interested in knowing the details of Manzanera's guitars, too.

3. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Definitely one of my Top Ten albums ever! (Even with the Linn drums). I too would be interested in hearing what Phil used on that record. Bueller?

4. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

You know there has to be a Strat involved.
    Beyond that, I dont know.
    Great album.
    S.
    j

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

My sketchy memory is telling me Les Paul custom and an eBow.

Could be wrong though.

6. Chops

Chops Gold Supporting Member

The Brit magazine "Guitar and Bass" has an article about a year ago about his guitar collections, including lots of photos and historical notes. If I come across it I'll scan it and post it somewhere. Maybe it's available on the magazines website. It is detailed.

7. John Bell

John Bell Supporting Member

Gibson Firebird. Bridge pickup on "Love is the drug"

8. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

I saw the live vid filmed during the subsequent tour a number of years ago that has recently been reissued on DVD. Manzanera played a Les Paul for the whole thing as I remember it.

9. dlxtele

dlxtele Supporting Member

I saw them in 82 at Radio City Music Hall and they were really at the top of their game. Phil played an Explorer most of the night and a Strat. They had another guitarist or two playing that night too.

A lot of the guitar on Avalon was recorded by another guitarist before Phil Joined the sessions. I forget the guitarist name, but he did work with the subsequent solo albums of Ferry.

Brent

10. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Anybody know what guitars he used on his 1975 solo lp "Diamond Head"?

(btw: highly recommended to those of y'all who aren't familiar with that record)

11. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

Big revive!

Strat (custom, with star inlays) and Firebird would be the two he's best known for. Big LP Custom player as well.

12. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Not to change the subject, but if anyone knows what guitar effects Manzanara used on the live '801' album, and the album 'Diamond Head', I'd be very grateful.

I've been working up a cover of 'Diamond Head' and and have been trying to clone that tone.

13. Chops

Chops Gold Supporting Member

Those are the three main ones I remember him with. What a player, what a band!

14. snarkle

snarkle Member

I did a quick internet trawl and couldn't find too much information on what Mr. Manzanera was using on Avalon. But his website says he's readying a new album that's going to be called Firebird VII, presumably after the guitar he's been using (along with the Olympic White Strat and black Les Paul) since Roxy Music's debut.

15. jgyn

jgyn Member

I've also seen pics of him with a Yamaha SG2000.