Maple fretboard question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by DKing, Dec 17, 2009.

1. DKing

DKing Member

I have scalloped a Maple neck (first time)

What do I finish the Maple fingerboard with? I am looking forward to it wearing so I don’t want it heavily sealed (I am looking for EVH-ish wear, lol). I tried leaving it just sanded but it shows every note I have played on it. It’s just a bit too much.

Back story in case you care…
    I have an ‘88 Yngwie strat that I love and I also have what I consider my number one strat. I have always wished my number one had some scalloping at least on the upper frets. So instead of learning it on numby one, I took a cheapo Squier (Maple) neck and scalloped it..It came out really nice. I did fairly light scalloping and it’s heavier on the thiner stringed side. Great for control with big bends.

2. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

You can just do an oil finish on it. I like Tung Oil and Danish Nut Oil. Neither will add much color so you might want to stain the neck first...

3. DKing

DKing Member

Thank you sir.

I love this site. Plethera of info.

4. Billy Penn

Billy Penn Member

I like the Birchwood Casey Tru Oil used for gun stocks. I find that it goes on easier and builds easier. Dries harder as well. Once I used it I never went back to tung or danish oil.

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I love tung oil.

6. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I use the Tru Oil as well. About 4 coats.

7. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Tru Oil is what I use, but that will prevent the neck from getting dirty at all. If you are wanting mild wear to show, then something Tung Oil finish will be better.