Maple Fretboards - Why less common?

stratele

I really like and prefer maple fretboards, however,
they seem to be very rare on some of the major brands.

sixty2strat

Since guitar making grew out of violin making there are centuries of tradition to buck. As the high end makers all used RW n ebony in the 40's fender's concept was about value and functionality not luxuary

Guitarworks

Lots of brands have used maple boards. Gibson offered a burnt maple board for a while. Fender just happens to be the most famous user of maple.

old goat

Ebony and rosewood don't require finish, give a naturally smooth surface, are very hard, and don't look dirty when they're dirty. It's not just tradition, it's a tradition with a reason.

SPROING!

Because maple isn't really hard enough to make a long wearing fret board. Same reason why Leo switched to rosewood in the 60s...the maple looks awful after a few years. Electric guitar players are about the only people who seem to like their instruments to look beat up.

buddastrat

I notice that too. not with Fender, but most other brands. Almost always dark, dyed boards. Maybe it's because, at least on the imports, they can use cheaper wood and dye it dark like rosewood. Most imports have jet black boards. I don't know about higher end stuff. But maple usually looks great on a guitar.

I love the look, tone and feel of maple. Just not super thick glossy. Especially cool when worn and played in. Love the tighter tone, and focus especially under higher gain. it rocks.

EelEye

Platinum Supporting Member
Finished maple is sticky and gives me blisters.

Rosewood feels natural, absorbs moisture, etc. Really perfect IMHO.

lamf

I like maple neck Strats .I even like the way they look when they are worn. makes me think of Claptons Blackie and all the strats my 70's guitar heros played and they have a brighter tone than rosewood board strats.

jeff_lebowski

love maple on my strat, but I wanted a bright snappy sound to go with my darker and mellower sounding les paul and es 335