Maple neck Les Paul.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by old crow, Jan 9, 2008.

1. old crow

old crow Supporting Member

..or almost. It's a 70's L.P. copy w/ bolt on maple neck. I've installed a pair of Lollar Imperials and a Bigsby, also lathed some maple dowels to put in the bridge stud holes so I could put on an ABR bridge. It's ended up sounding a wee bit Gretsch like , as it's chambered, but it's still quite heavy and really has a nasty ringing sound.
    I'd like to hear from others with maple neck L.P. style guitars as I'm so impressed I'd like to move on to a higher quality similar git, maybe with a Fender maple neck on a L.P. type chambered body....

2. The Chris Henderson model is a waste of good wood IMO.....

3. old crow

old crow Supporting Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that model have a mahogany neck ?
    I'm interested in hear about guitars with maple necks.

4. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I had a maple necked les paul that ended up sounding pretty good once i got some dark sounding humbuckers in it. I definitely prefer mahogany though.

5. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I had a '76 maple neck LP Standard that ruled. Had a tone to die for. Screw what the snobs say - a buddy of mine who worked for a great - now defunct - guitar company even made me a LP style axe w/a maple neck & mahogany body (glue-in neck). It also ruled - more clarity than an all mahogany axe.

6. thomasdk

thomasdk Member

HAha, I agree!

7. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Don't the Zakk Wylde Models have maple necks?

8. Samba

Samba Member

[​IMG]

Don't tell anyone- I'm secretly a fan of the Gibbo Marauder. :eek:

[​IMG]

9. paulscape

paulscape Member

I have a Zakk Wylde camo with the maple neck. Just like a normal les paul really only a bit brighter. When I changed the EMG's out for something else I had to think a little more about the combo of pickups and the wood together to retain a warm balanced tone. It looks really unusual on a Les Paul but looks good IMO. I saw Zakk playing it on an instructional 'young guitar' dvd a few years ago and was entranced with the guitar. A camoflage Les Paul with bullseye and maple neck. Too cool.

When I made a custom destroyer/explorer guitar last year I came very close to making that with a maple neck too and sometimes wish I had. Im not sure if Ive ever seen a maple neck explorer so it would have been somewhat unusual.

10. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Hey, I own a marauder, not bad guitars at all!

11. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I have never thought that mahogany was a great wood for necks. Unless they are really thick, they never seem to be stable enough. I think I would be quite happy with a maple-necked les paul. What about a rosewood-necked les paul?

12. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

If I could find a Marauder in good shape for a reasonable price, I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat. It's a piece of Bill Lawrence genius.

Kind of ugly though, but in a cool way..

13. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

WOW! MARAUDERS!! That's taking me back to a very good time in my life indeed!

14. finnster

finnster Supporting Member

Nice Marauder:cool: That was my first guitar. Memories......

15. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

I like maple necks on Les Paul Customs...

There, I said it.

Originally I turned my nose up to the very idea of anything other than a mahogany neck on a Les Paul. Now having owned a fair number of them and having played far more my opinions have shifted.

All other things being equal I think I’ve grown to appreciate what a maple neck does for the sound, response and feel on these guitars.

Maple necked customs seem to have a little more tightness and immediacy. Whatever it is it works for me.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    27sauce likes this.
  16. rauchman

rauchman Member

My 1st electric was a used Gibson LP Deluxe w/ standard hb's from the 70's / early 80's at age 14 in 1984. It has a 5pc maple neck and pancake body. Very very rigid. I didn't know any better on the sound, and then when I bought a 1992 LP Custom in '92, I was kind of disappointed. The Custom has more meat to the sound, but lost something in expressiveness and brightness. That Nolin era LP with the maple neck, is probably the best sounding guitar I've ever heard.

17. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

I just picked up 2014 Gibson LPJ . Very cool guitar. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard. $500 used all day

18. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

The best LP I played was maple-necked, pancake body 70s Custom.

19. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

My #2 guitar is a maple necked Gibson LP. Sounds fantastic.

20. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I’ve really done a 180 on that as well. My ‘75 that I originally bought to flip does something different than my mahogany neck LP. Like you said, tighter and immediate. Almost a glassy feel to the sound, in a good way.