Maple Semi-Hollow Bodies Do Not Equal Bright: WHY?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bmetelits, Feb 22, 2009.

1. bmetelits

bmetelits Member

In my day gig I'm a systems analyst, and logic is my core expertise. I've never understood why maple semi-hollow body guitars do not sound bright if maple is such a bright tonewood. Please explain. Thanks.

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub

A maple acoustic definately sounds brighter than a rosewood one.

Don't forget that most semis are laminated wood, which will have a big effect.

GAD

3. george4908

george4908 Member

Personally, I don't think of maple as a "bright" wood as much as one that lacks midrange -- it's fundamental heavy, scooped, with little harmonic richness, so the highs you hear stand out more because of the lack of midrange context. Sort of an audio illusion. Spruce is, to my ear, a much brighter wood than maple, with more the top end, but because it is harmonically richer in the midrange (and decays more quickly) the brightness doesn't stand out as much. Just my opinion, your ears may vary.

4. pcovers

pcovers Member

The two most sonically balanced and beautifully resonant acoustic guitars I have owned, from full lows to pleasing highs, were a Goodall Cedar/Maple and a Larrivee Cedar/Maple. I have played too many maple guitars that do not fit the stereotype to buy into the idea that there is a universal absolute about maple being bright.

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member