1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Maple Top Indecision: Burst or Natural?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Halowords, May 18, 2011.

What Finish for my Benford Doublecut w/ Ebony Split-block Fingerboard?

1. Honey Burst

2. "Brown" Burst (Desert Burst, Antique Sunburst, Tobacco, etc.)

3. Natural

4. Other; Please Elaborate

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Halowords

Halowords Member

I'm having a guitar finish conundrum.

As I've mentioned in a thread or two, I'm having a guitar built by Steve Benford. Super nice guy by the way. Anyway, the guitar is going to have a more-or-less very PRS looking body (slightly tweaked, but pretty much the PRS or LP-doublecut w/ longer upper horn design). I dropped the wood off last week, he looked at the maple top and after wetting the wood he said "Oh, this is going to glow."

Which brings me to my problem. I'm undecided between going with a burst of some sort (specifically thinking something along the lines of a Honey Burst, Desert Burst, Iced Tea Burst, or the like), or going au naturale. I want something that will look classy, show off the figuring, and be pretty timeless looking. I also have an ebony fingerboard w/ split-block inlays with Maple binding going on it, and a bizarro pickup config with a Charlie Christian going in the neck, Strat-style single coil in the middle, and a (somewhat hotter) humbucker going in the bridge. I think I will love whatever finish I go with between the two general ones (Natural, or one of the Burst finishes in that vein).

Soooooooooooooo, any input? I'm looking not solely just for your entirely subjective opinion, although that is fine too. I'm curious of one or more might fit better with the overall aesthetics of the design, with the finger board style & inlays, the pickups, color scheme, nickel hardware, etc., etc.

FWIW, here is the actual Maple top:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the fretboard design:

[​IMG]

As for the finishes, here are the ones I'm thinking:

Natural, should look something (hopefully!) like this:

[​IMG]

Burst, I was thinking like this:

[​IMG]
    jackbart1960's Honeyburst

Or something like this:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Heritage Antique Sunburst.

[​IMG]
    Gibson Desert Burst

And here's the Benford guitar that actually got me thinking Burst instead of Natural, and it's on a DC (although different than mine will be designed:

[​IMG]
    http://www.benfordguitars.com/adambdc.html

Feel free to vote in the poll a/o give any thoughts or considerations. If you vote "Burst" or "Other" feel free to elaborate if any specific burst might work better in the overall design (the listed Honey, Desert, Antique sunbursts, or others that might be cool in said design), or whatever you mean by "Other" as that could be a bit vague.

-Cheers

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

I owned a H-157 Ultra just like the one in your picture and loved that top. That said, I would get a burst like an R9, or an Ice-Tea burst, or something a little warmer but not cherry. You will be happy either way though

3. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

It's not even my guitar and I can't decide enough to vote.

4. Halowords

Halowords Member

Yeah, I should have included "Ice Tea Burst" in the pics/descriptions. I guess that would go under the "Brown Burst" section. And no, I know I do not want a Cherry Burst. I'm just not a fan of red anywhere in the burst, but that's just personal preference.

-Cheers

5. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

My favorite burst, there should be more like it:

[​IMG]

6. Phalanx200bc

Phalanx200bc Member

These "progress build" threads are some of the best on this forum. Please keep us updated if poss on the progression and happy building!

7. rcl

rcl Member

8. Halowords

Halowords Member

Thanks! My "Progress" is really just me making decisions.

The actual progress will probably be listed here on Steve Benford's In Progress page on his site:
    http://www.benfordguitars.com/inprogress.html

I can give a direct link if/when it's up on his site.

FWIW, here's the progress thus far, just my spec decisions:

Mahogany body w/ Maple cap, 25.5" scale neck, ebony fretboard w/ split-block inlays, jumbo or med. jumbo frets (not entirely decided yet), and ebony headstock veneer.

Pickups as mentioned are a Vintage Vibe CC-Rider (Charlie Christian) in the neck, hot Strat-style pickup in the middle, and Duanebucker humbucker in the bridge (latter two from Zhangbucker).

Hardware will be a Pigtail Intoneable Wraparound bridge and Grover lockable tuners, bone or graphite nut.

Part of the aesthetics is something that will fit in with a Jazz-to-Rock guitar and even the lines/design of the CC-Rider

[​IMG]

I think anything I've listed will work fine, but I could see some possibly looking better, or more in the vibe, of the Jazzy/funky shape of the pickup, not to mention the black-and-white color scheme w/ the binding of the pickup, the bound-and-inlaid neck, faux binding of the guitar body, etc., etc. Mostly though, I'm terribly indecisive and waffle because I am pretty much equally in love with both options.

But yes, I'll make sure to list any updates a/o the link to said guitar build on Steve's website. This should be a fairly unique build.

-Cheers

9. Halowords

Halowords Member

Nice Hamer!

-Cheers