Maple tops on Edwards LP's...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 6stringgrind, Aug 24, 2006.

1. 6stringgrind

6stringgrind Member

I'm thinking about getting an Edwards LP, probably the John Sykes model. I was looking at the description on Katana Guitars site, and it said the Sykes model has a "thin solid maple" top. Can any of you Edwards owners tell me how thick the maple top is? At this price, I'm afraid it might be a veneer, but I guess that wouldn't make sense on a black LP. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Well, on the "flamed" top versions (depending on the model I think) they have a thin veneer of real flamed maple on top of a solid maple top. So, it's just like a "real" LP in that it's a soild maple top on a mahogany body. However, with the Sykes model being a soild color there probably isn't a veneer on it so it's just the maple top on mahogany body like a regular LP. My Edwards LP's top is every bit as thick as a Gibson and I can't even tell where the veneer is glued on. I haven't seen inside the pickup cavities of the Sykes version, but as it's painted it might be difficult to see anything in there. But my Page LP is definitely a solid bookmatched maple top underneath the veneer (if there even is one). Check over at the Tokai Forum too as there are a bunch of Edwards owners over there. www.tokaiforum.com

In the meantime if you want to get an idea of how the Edwards LP's are built feel free to check out the pics of mine here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/473711002WinYrl

I took pics of the pickup cavities, but for the life of me I couldn't get them to turn out very well.

3. VanStone

VanStone Member

I have no experience with the Sykes model either, but I have an E-LP-85SD with a flamed top. In looking at the pup cavities on mine, it has a full thickness maple top. I suspect the flame, however, is a very thin veneer on top of that (so mine is exactly as EunosFD observed with his).

Although I can't tell you specifics on the Sykes model, I can tell you that my Edwards is an outstanding guitar. For the price you can't go wrong (heck, you could do a lot worse for a lot more dough).

Here's a peek at mine (post-SD-pup-ectomy):

[​IMG]

V

HollyviewMan likes this.
  4. 6stringgrind

6stringgrind Member

Thanks for the replies. So, if it's comparable thickness to a Gibson, where do they cut costs? The prices are amazingly low.

5. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    First thing they do is not print G-i-b-s-o-n on the headstock.
    That name demands thousands of dollars alone.

6. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Yup, that's where I think the majority of the additional cost lies. And the electronics (pots, switch, caps, wiring) are on the cheap side so I'm sure that is one place they cut costs. I may install a full RS kit into it eventually anyway so it won't matter at that point. Also Gibsons are all lacquer finished whereas the Edwards are poly finished...except for the "LT" or "Lacquer Taste" models which still have a poly base, but a lacquer top coat finish from what I understand. Lacquer finishes are notably more labor intensive, but not so much so to more than double the cost of a guitar. I also suspect that the quality or specific type of wood (the mahogany specifically;Honduras vs. African for example) is probably different than what Gibson uses and may be more readily available and subsequently cost less. I've played dozens of LP's over the years of all vintages (never found one worth buying; in my price range at the time that is) and this Edwards more than holds its own.

7. whitehall

whitehall Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/cndoman/Augy019.jpg.
    The Ed is the third one. Very nice guitars for the money. Differences between it and Gibson ? Lots. Veneer top, no hardcase, fake binding, cheap ass screws, plastic parts, wiring. Mine weighs 7.8lbs. BUT, they are great guitars for the money. I would suggest that you go up one notch to the lacquer series. I wish they made those lefty. I hate poly guitars.

8. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

How do you "fake" a plastic binding? Is it just a painted plastic colored strip?

9. AlexF

AlexF Member

The binding isnt fake and the pots and switch are not that bad quality - the pots are full size and work pretty well (at least as well as stock Gibson). The plastic parts are equal to Gibson too. All round, superb guitars at a blazing price. They are veneer tops but it makes absolutely no difference to the sound. they have long tenons too, but to my ears that makes no difference to the sound either. I have a small suspicion regarding the term 'lacquer top coat' they use for the finish. I suspect, (but dont know) that this means the guitar is first finished in poly, then has a coat (or coats) of nitro lacquer to finish (when the surface is nice and flat from the poly). Again, not that it bothers me one jot, the guitar is a killer.
    Al

10. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Yeah, I wish the top veneer was a little more fancy, or at least varied. I think you're right about the poly/ntiro thing kinda, defeats the purpose. Has ANYONE taken these head to head with a historic? I'll assume the histroic is better, but how much better? That is to say from a non-gibson snob.

11. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

I have a friend who owns two Edwards Les Pauls...a white Custom and a Jimmy Page relic. I borrowed the Page guitar for a gig.

Hmm...OK guitar, but those who claim "they are every bit the guitar a Gibson is" are a little shy of the mark. It's no USA guitar, and my Heritage H150 smokes them both (the only two I have had expirence with) in every way.

They aren't bad guitars, but to me the Epiphones feel the same as these. Again, that's not a bad thing, but there still is a definite difference between a Gibson or a Heritage and the Japanese copies. Then look at what used H150's sell for...or Les Paul Studios, for that matter. To me, it's game over.

My 2 cents nobody asked for!:rolleyes:

12. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Actually that's just the kind of answer I think some of us are looking for man. If it won't best standard USA gibson production then there's really no point IMO. I have an LP Classic+ and that's as low as I'm willing to go in quality/mojo for my personal guitars. I'm looking for at least higher than USA Gibson quality if not HIstoric, and so far that means either a real Historic or going custom like a Heatley. Eveything else has fallen in the "too good to be true" category so far.

13. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

Thanks man. Again, I'm not in any way bashing anything. For The Money (and that's the qualifier), they are very good guitars. I was at GC last night and played about a dozen Epi Les Pauls, every one was a pretty good guitar. I would be more inclined to put in another couple hundred bucks and get an Edwards/Burney/Greco/Orville just because I don't like the Epi headstock (vain, I know!). The Edwards Jimmy Page would be a very good 6-700 dollar guitar, but a grand?

Again, Les Paul Studio/Special/SG, Heritage H150, Hamer Studio...there are several USA guitars available in that price range that are much better guitars. The Japanese stuff is very good at it's price point, but it's apples and oranges .

14. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I don't know what Chuck's been playing, but I completely disagree with his evaluation of Edwards and high-end Japanese guitars in general. I have owned four Les Pauls: a 2002 Deluxe, a Joe Perry Signature (the first one, factory), a Gem and a Studio, and none of them were built as well as this Edwards 335 is. Period. Anybody with eyes and ears could clearly note the differences. Saying an Edwards LP is as good as that mediocre Korean Epiphone stuff is just wrong. They're much finer guitars than that. The Edwards is a damned site nicer than the 80's Tokai LP I owned too, but that's another story... my 2ยข

15. 6stringgrind

6stringgrind Member

Perhaps I misread the Katana website. I looked at it just now, and it says the Edwards John Sykes model has a "thin solid mahogany top", not maple. Can anyone confirm this?

16. 4nkam

4nkam Member

It's not quite a grand...They're about $835 shipped from japan (NOT katana since they always jack up the prices on the "sig" guitars).

mJ

17. AlexF

AlexF Member

Its very misleading to compare higher end Edwards, Greco, Orville by Gibson and Burny guitars to Korean Epis, its just plain factually incorrect. Playing wise its down to opinion, I've owned lots of all of them and for me, all of them are every bit the equal of current Gibson. Most of the copies do not have nitro finishes (only the very top ones do and they cost too much), if that's important, disqualify the copies by all means, otherwise if you approach the subject with a completely unbiased open mind, based on sound and feel, you will end up with a Japanese guitar.
    Al

18. sustain440

sustain440 Member

I have an Edwards on order and have researched and read many reviews of the Edwards copies prior to placing an order with Ishibashi. You are entitled to your opinion but I have read many comments from Edwards owners who have owned and played many Gibson Les Pauls,new and old and 95% of what I read suggested the Edwards was at least equal to current Les Paul levels for build, tone and playability.
    It was overwhelming how many experienced guitarists who played the Edwards said that the guitars were even better than most non-custom shop Gibbys.
    I'll tell you for sure once I get mine but I read enough to convince myself to order a 90-LTS. I expect I will not be disappointed based on the fact they cost half as much as an Epi Elitist (also MIJ) and much less than a Gibson LP Standard.