Marantz systems not working

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by Brett's Les Paul, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

Hi guys, this is my first post over here, but I've been on TGP for a long time. I am the lucky owner of two Marantz systems. Neither work anymore. I have a 2252B and a 2226B. Both were bought used and I took them to a tech place over in Tampa and had them checked over. The 52 lost sound in the right channel and it has been to the repair shop three times with a hefty bill each time and they can't get it right. Fails usually within a few days. The 26 started to have static in the right channel also and finally got loud enough to be unlistenable. It would work for awhile and then loud static. I moved it elsewhere and when I hooked it back up all I get is a loud, almost siren like monotone from the speakers. Occurs in either speaker 1 or 2 selection. I'm missing my vinyl and I loved my Marantz stuff when it worked. Any suggestions on what might have happened and why the tech can't figure it out? I am also considering just going with a tube amplifier, but don't want to spend a huge amount of money. Any suggestions on something entry level? Thanks for all responses.

2. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

A place tried to fix it 3x and couldn't and still charged every time? Not good. I would suggest punting and get a current model. If you want new a place like Music Direct has some very nice units. A current Marantz PM6005, a Rega Brio, PS Audio Sprout, NAD 326BEE.... there are a lot of choices on the inexpensive side and many have a good phono section. If you're willing to buy used you can get a nice unit from Audiogon or USAudio and maybe a model up for the same money. For example the Rega Brio can be had in the $500 ballpark, about 1/2 cost. Once in a while a Musical Fidelity piece will pop up for short money, I think they are very good.
    Tube gear is kind of a different beast and most of the good stuff is pricey. Companies like Jolida make some reasonable gear but speaker efficiency is also a factor.- and unit quality. There are also hybrids and/or getting a tube preamp to run through an amp..... or getting a good phono preamp to run vinyl. Maybe after what you've experienced, a great sounding new solid state integrated is a good choice- it should last trouble free for many, many years.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Brett's Les Paul likes this.
  3. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

I looked for the schematic to the 2252B, and found the service manual with pretty good schematics plus a nice master interconnect drawing. Seems like it shouldn't be too much to expect a shop that does this for their living to be able to resolve this issue for you. Tain't astrophysics...

4. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

are you by any chance running a low impedance speaker system?

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

I have a friend who is very familiar with that era of Marantz and can repair them.

6. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

I'm running a pair of Marantz speakers I believe they are possible SR301 or something similar. Not certain of the impedance, I'll have to look. Do you know the proper impedance load for these units?

7. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

If you can PM me contact info I would appreciate it.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

9. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

Thanks so much.

10. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

There is also (allegedly) a place in Austin TX that might be able to fix them; I have their card somewhere. I am having a similar problem with a channel on my Marantz, but I find if simply switch the input selector from one turntable input to the other, it seems to go away, at least for the duration of that time's use. I need to deal with this as well.

11. don carney

don carney Silver Supporting Member

I had problems with my old Marantz. I had it repaired several times with poor results. I then googled for a local repair person who specialized in Marantz repairs, found one, and took it in. Now it works great. This was in se Michigan. Try google and then refine your search from there.

12. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Go here and post for help. There are a bunch of Marantz experts here who repair em either full time or on the side. If you decide you want to sell em, this is probably the best spot as well. One of the buys did my 2270 about five years ago and it was well worth the dough. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?forums/marantz-audio.134/

13. Gimmodog

Gimmodog Member

14. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

I am a member of this group on Facebook, and there are some pretty serious Marantz techies on there.
    Give it a try: vintage-marantz.com

15. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

Muse Audio in Ann Arbor refurbishes Marantz units
    Bought a refurbished 2215B this week.

Hope the OP had good luck