Marc Ford solo on Sometimes Salvation - what effect?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eddie27, Mar 2, 2010.

1. eddie27

eddie27 Member

Anybody know what type effect Marc Ford uses on his solo on the Black Crowes' Sometimes Salvation to give it that wavvy funky sound, especially on the parts where he is raking the strings between notes?

2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Sounds like a fuzz face, humbuckers and a cranked amp-most likely an old plexi or metal panel Marshall. The fuzz is almost overloading at times. During the early Crowes years, Marc used a Fuzz Face, TS-10 and Wah along with Marshalls and a few Les Pauls-black Pro Deluxe with P-90's, natural Standard (70's maple neck model) with humbuckers and a blonde Strat. He also had an Epiphone with mini-hums and a late 60's white SG Jr with P-90.

1973Marshall likes this.
  3. mike6m

mike6m Member

Yup. Fuzz Face.

4. leaveitalone84

leaveitalone84 Member

Marc was in his hendrixy phase at that point so it's probably a Fuzz Face.

5. Jani Marjoniemi

Jani Marjoniemi Member

6. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

Fuzz Face is correct --- but I believe it was modded with a tube in it. That's one of my favorite solos.

7. AndrewPDarling

AndrewPDarling Member

In what might be one of my favorite moments of my career, I got to work with Ford in 2000.

He came in with only a few pieces of gear...a Custom Shop Strat, a Marshall and a Fuzz Face. He had the strat because he was just starting to work on a project called Blue Floyd with Allen Woody.

When I asked about the Marshall, he said, "Have you ever heard a song called Sometimes Salvation?" I calmly said, "Yes." He then said, "The solo was this small box Marshall and this Fuzz Face." Bone stock small box 50 watt plexi and a beat to hell stock Fuzz Face. When I asked about the Fuzz Face, he said, "I played though a million of them 'till I found the right one." It is still the best Fuzz Face I have ever heard...and then we proceeded to blow up the producer's RCA DX 77 ribbon mic with that Marshall and Fuzz Face.

The guy was awesome to work with and was the highlight of the session for sure. He then told me where I could find a copy of Foamfoot on CD and gave me the lowdown about that whole "official bootleg" being made...

-Andrew

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
    dshobe, jacopo, EL34 and 7 others like this.
  8. leaveitalone84

leaveitalone84 Member

Nah, I've been a crowes head for years and have never heard that.

He runs stock on most his stuff.

9. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Yeah, definitely a fuzz on that one. That solo is a poster child for amazing fuzz tone.

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  10. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

One of the guitar mags around that time mentioned a Fuzz Face with a tube mod. Never saw any other info on that.

11. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Yup. A 1995 article on the Crowes in Guitar Player mentions a "prototype tube-loaded Fuzz Face." Never seen any pictures of such an animal.

I remember seeing them play "Sometimes Salvation" on SNL, and Ford got the exact same solo tone as on the record.

12. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Cool story!

Thanks for sharing!

13. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

So what is a good fuzz face without getting that big ol round ugly ass pedal?

14. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

That solo rips.
    Best overall Crowes song? Perhaps.

15. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread but someone asked me about the tube loaded Fuzz Face. I just spoke to Marc and he says it's internet urban legend.

16. thewex

thewex Member

that is awesome!

17. gillibi

gillibi Member

Pre internet guitar mag misinformation is more appropriate. I have that mag and was curious about the mystery tube FF.

Thanks for getting the lowdown from the man himself.

18. McQuade

McQuade Member

Did he mention what guitar he used on the track? I've heard it was a P-90 Les Paul not HB.

19. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

I know this is an oldish thread, but on a live version from '92 I saw, he was playing an LP Deluxe, on the neck position. Mini-humbucker. That doesn't necessarily mean that's what he used on the record, of course.

Edit: on second look, I think they're P90's. I thought I saw a reflection, earlier.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  20. Chessie

Chessie Member

He told me this year 2016.... the it "a Marshall wide open with a fuzz face"
    Didn't say want kind but said the Marshall was full hilt.

MoonshineMan likes this.