• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Marc Ford vs. Nels Cline

Who do you prefer?

• Marc Ford

• Nels Cline

Results are only viewable after voting.

bicktrav

Who do you prefer, Marc Ford or Nels Kline? I'm well aware that they are different players; just trying to settle a debate. What do you think?

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
There's more basement bloozers on this site than indie hipsters, so expect more people to say Marc Ford.

chubbywolf

Its pretty "apples and oranges" with those two guys. Its kind of like asking, "what do you like more, fish or candybars?"

bicktrav

chubbywolf said:
Its pretty "apples and oranges" with those two guys. Its kind of like asking, "what do you like more, fish or candybars?"
Yep. They are very different players. This is just a preference question. For what it's worth, I think Cline would be the fish.

russiancrowe

That's like asking "do you prefer sex with the wife, or sex with one of the wife's girlfriends?" They're both great in different ways.

Average Joe

Cline. good blues based rock players are a dime a dozen. Not to say Ford is bad, he's extremely good, it's just very idiomatic. Cline take it someplace else and I like that

bicktrav

russiancrowe said:
That's like asking "do you prefer sex with the wife, or sex with one of the wife's girlfriends?" They're both great in different ways.
Hahaha! Very nicely done!!

bicktrav

Average Joe said:
Cline. good blues based rock players are a dime a dozen. Not to say Ford is bad, he's extremely good, it's just very idiomatic. Cline take it someplace else and I like that
True, good blues players are a dime a dozen. But dissonant indy noodlers are about 12 cents a dozen these days; very soon they'll be a dime too.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
So, we're going with the premise that MF is a "blues player," now? The solo on "Sometimes Salvation" alone is enough to secure his legend.

Nels Cline is fantastic, too...Never realized Wilco was an "indie" group til now, either.

What, exactly, are you "debating?" Both make great music, enjoy it.

There are bootlegs around of members of the Crowes and Wilco jamming...they did some shows together years ago. That was before Cline joined (and when Ford was in the Crowes the first time), granted, but to hear some folks around here tell it, you'd think Wilco is some flavor of the week hipster band.

bicktrav

Tiny Montgomery said:
So, we're going with the premise that MF is a "blues player," now? The solo on "Sometimes Salvation" alone is enough to secure his legend.

Nels Cline is fantastic, too...Never realized Wilco was an "indie" group til now, either.

What, exactly, are you "debating?" Both make great music, enjoy it.

There are bootlegs around of members of the Crowes and Wilco jamming...they did some shows together years ago. That was before Cline joined (and when Ford was in the Crowes the first time), granted, but to hear some folks around here tell it, you'd think Wilco is some flavor of the week hipster band.
Love both players and both bands. There's no hating going on here. Just a discussion.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Both are fine musicians. About half if what Nelson does is too out for my taste, the other half is quite enjoyable.

BedroomRockStar01

Silver Supporting Member
True, good blues players are a dime a dozen. But dissonant indy noodlers are about 12 cents a dozen these days; very soon they'll be a dime too.
I agree completely with this statement. I disagree that Nels Cline is one of said dissonant indie noodlers.

Trending Topics