• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Marc Maron takes hard shot at Emerald City Guitars on Instagram; praises Thunder Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

WordMan

Homo Logos
Platinum Supporting Member
Oy.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/internet/marc-maron-seattle-guitar-shop-instagram
Marc Maron, the podcaster, comedian and actor, had a brief social media dust-up with a Seattle-based guitar store on Wednesday — and that interaction suggests that celebrities should be more careful using their pulpit to criticize a local business.​
In a now-deleted post on Instagram, Maron took a selfie outside of Emerald City Guitars and wrote the equivalent of “went in looking at Strats, had cash, was treated very badly, would never buy anything here. If you go, make sure to make a ‘reservation’ and bring your tax returns.” (Note: This is not the exact wording.)​
The post garnered thousands of responses and likes, as did a later post where Maron extolled another Seattle music store, Thunder Road Guitars.​

Maron mentioned it in his intro to his interview out this morning with BJ Novak. I don’t have Instragram so I have no clue what the deleted post said.

I haven’t bought from Emerald City, but only recall hearing good things. Wow - gotta be hard. I have bought from Thunder Road online and found them great.

Bottom line - it sounds like a simple customer service issue that got blown up. Oy.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Never heard of Marc Maron.

I do like Emerald City's Pick of the Day videos.

Googled Maron - he's a comedian. That partly explains why I have not heard of him. Looks like he and I would not get along... Could not care less about his opinion.

WordMan

Homo Logos

Googled Maron - he's a comedian. That partly explains why I have not heard of him. Looks like he and I would not get along... Could not care less about his opinion.
He is a pioneer podcaster - he finally found “fame” through interviewing other comedians and talking shop, all the way up to interviewing folks like Obama, Keith Richards, Terry Gross of NPR, etc.

In other words, he has large exposure - while at the same time, he would be the first to acknowledge that he is a jerk trying to work on himself who can sometimes still be a jerk.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
There's pretty much always two sides to these encounters.

My experience of Emerald City is that they're not shy with the hard sell - the few times times I've been in there they were very interested in me and why I was in town and then doing the soft closing thing ('hey, we can ship that to the UK if you want to go for it' etc) every time I made an encouraging noise about a guitar. I don't mind that particularly, it's their job to sell stuff and can't blame them for trying when they've already worked out I'm a Brit who's only in town for the day and they have one shot at a sale, but as a veteran of multiple TGP threads on acceptable salesman etiquette - which from a salesman perspective is akin to walking a tightrope with a 5000 foot drop below you - I can see it being an approach that could get awkward with the wrong person.

Personally I don't have a lot of time for people doing social media drive-by shootings of businesses who've pushed their buttons. If you were that offended, ask for the manager and politely let him know how you felt - if not, just let it go but this rather cowardly and spiteful practice of slinking away then typing out a poisonous social media post I don't think is a good look.

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
I read the original posts. Plus I know people who work at both shops and heard the stories.

TL;DR Maron went to ECG with cash to buy a strat, was frustrated and felt slighted that ECG didn’t take him seriously. Left the shop and posted his frustration on IG.
ECG apologized but explained they have good reasons for not letting everyone handle their high end guitars and they are appointment only (Covid, recent robbery).
Maron responded that they were not customer friendly.
Maron went to Thunder Road guitars, which is open to the public, and bought a master built Fender strat.
That’s the story.

D K Souther

It’s the “fancy things” stores mentality. They are trying to be BMW or Mercedes style dealerships. No prices on anything, smug staff, acting disinterested if you don’t look like you have money etc. it goes to show that you should treat everyone equally. With masks you never know who you’re dealing with?

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
I read the original posts. Plus I know people who work at both shops and heard the stories.

TL;DR Maron went to ECG with cash to buy a strat, was frustrated and felt slighted that ECG didn’t take him seriously. Left the shop and posted his frustration on IG.
ECG apologized but explained they have good reasons for not letting everyone handle their high end guitars and they are appointment only (Covid, recent robbery).
Maron responded that they were not customer friendly.
Maron went to Thunder Road guitars, which is open to the public, and bought a master built Fender strat.
That’s the story.

Poor little feller. :(

juxtapolice

Silver Supporting Member

Personal opinion is hardly a good metric. Maron is known for his interviews. Chances are he’s interviewed someone you respect. Particularly he’s known for some major musician interviews, he’s also a musician and hifi fan (tho doesn’t claim any expertise or authority the dude plays real gear and collects legit stuff). So you not knowing him doesn’t augment this reality. I can totally see a boutique shop that typically caters to blues lawyers on their high end rack turning their nose up ignorantly. Maron would buy a vintage strat no doubt. At any rate his Springsteen and Neil Young interviews are good and funny, recommend

"don't review in anger"
-Oasis

Working in retail is frustrating in general. People who don't call ahead or check the website for covid protocol and high end purchase protocol should just be mad at themselves. Upside is, I'm sure Maron will cook up a funny bit on how guilty he feels about being THAT GUY.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
l dig maron - he's made an entire living with his mouth shooting off clouds of zingers. he's a damn good storyteller.

however, the petty vanity of the public to take to social media and attack a business or person whom is not on their A+ Game, 24/7; especially a customer that has a big following like Maron does.
it's a pure dick move. and the business of being a dick is booming these days. covid didn't fine tune customers to be kinder, it just made them more demanding and ugly when the shake doesn't go precisely according to their plan/

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
Remember when actors said, “I really want to direct.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom